Locking of threads

If you have a suggestion for the forum, post your idea here with an appropriate poll and a fair time limit: the majority wins.

When should a thread be locked?

Whenever the OP asks
29%
Not until it degrades into the obviously ridiculous
48%
Never
24%

Total votes: 21

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Locking of threads

Postby Ekona » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:08 pm

Not really a referendum question maybe, but we'll see how it goes.

After Gamerfreak's huge thread this week started going off on a tangent that he didn't like, he asked me to lock the thread. I declined on the grounds that it hadn't reached the stage where people were just posting useless shit (the kind of thread that Jez locks, and I agree with him) and given we're supposed to be a free forum, it didn't seem right to lock a thread that he started just because he didn't like how it ended up. I edited it for some pics that, in retrospect, I should've deleted on sight, and IMHO that was enough to clean the thread up to a level that made it acceptable to remain open. A couple of pages in, after it had gotten a lot more sensible, GF makes a comment on hoping the thread dies into obscurity: With that, Joe takes it as a request to lock and locks it.

I have no problem with Joe doing that at all, as we've simply taken different stances on the same issue so there's no right or wrong. What I want to know is what the community as a whole feels should happen with regard to the locking of a thread, hence the poll. Please leave a comment as well as to why you feel that way, if you can. I'll go with whatever the majority decide and change my modding style to suit if necessary.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

nomis
Site Admin
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Re: Locking of threads

Postby nomis » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:36 pm

I'm going to take the complete opposite view.

I'm happier with threads being locked at op's request.

This is because;

• It doesn't remove the thread - it's still visible
  • It doesn't stop someone else starting a new thread on the same topic...

But I am against the removal of pointless threads, no matter how shit they are because;

• It's subjective - ones persons crap thread could be another's reason for coming here.
  • If you don't like it - don't post in it
  • If it's that crap, it will die by itself
  • IMO the only eason to lock a thread (other than op's request) is for spam or anything that threatens TOP's survival (ie for legal reasons)

So neither vote really fits my view :?

gamerfreak
Tag: Spotted Dick = yummy!

Postby gamerfreak » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:39 pm

I voted for "Whenever the OP asks", but I only think the OP should ask when he/she decides that the comments + media being posted are inflammatory or off-topic (a Mod would decide to lock it if it reaches that stage anyway). I'm all for constructive critiscm though, don't get me werong. Regarding that thread, I only wanted it locked because I could see it getting out of hand really quickly. That, and some comments + media were highly unneccesary and disrespectful. The sort of stuff you wouldn't do for your own loved ones.

So I don't think a thread should be locked just because the OP doesn't like people disagreeing with him/her, just when the stuff posted highly offends the OP. Which I don't think would be very often here because many of us aren't easily offended.
Birdshit

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:41 pm

But how does a Mod qualify 'highly offended'? When the OP tells them that they are?

@Nomis: Interesting points, well made sir.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

gamerfreak

Postby gamerfreak » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Yes. In short. It's hard for me to explain. Maybe I'll come up with a better explanation later. I know offensive is a matter of opinion and subjective and everyone has a different 'offensive meter'. If you had a poll option for "a mixture of both" then I would've voted for that because if an OP decides willy nilly that they want a thread locked without giving a decent reason, then the thread will be locked when there was actually no need.

I wanted the thread locked because yes, I was offended (not something that usually happens to me), but because the girl I like so much was getting hurtful comments directed at her. Which was hurtful to me. I reckon if you put yourself in my shoes then you'd want it locked, too for fear of where it looked like where the thread was heading.

I don't entirely agree with censorship (which is sort of what locking is) - to a degree.
Birdshit

RB

Postby RB » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:02 pm

There's no "never" option. Locking threads is just plain wrong no matter what. Arguments and petty name calling fizzle out on their own. If you start something be prepared to either finish it or admit defeat.

Lest we forget.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:22 pm

I've gone with "Whenever the OP asks".

They've created the thread, and if it's getting immensely personal, I can see why they'd want it closed.

That said, if someone starts trolling and then asking for lots of threads to be locked when they've had their fun, that's Taking Liberties, and a poke with a banstick may be in order (not saying GF does this, just wanted to qualify my decision)

At the end of the day, of course, it's down to the individual mod to see if closing a thread is the thing to do.

I have to say, had GF PMed me, and asked, I'd have done it. I wouldn't have deleted it though. Is that what happened it it?

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:23 pm

RB wrote:There's no "never" option. Locking threads is just plain wrong no matter what. Arguments and petty name calling fizzle out on their own. If you start something be prepared to either finish it or admit defeat.

There is now.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:27 pm

Ekona wrote:
RB wrote:There's no "never" option. Locking threads is just plain wrong no matter what. Arguments and petty name calling fizzle out on their own. If you start something be prepared to either finish it or admit defeat.

There is now.

That resets all the votes ;)

gamerfreak

Postby gamerfreak » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:28 pm

Mr.Clark wrote:I have to say, had GF PMed me, and asked, I'd have done it. I wouldn't have deleted it though. Is that what happened it it?

No, I just asked for it to be locked. Doesn't need deleting TBH. Maybe to serve as a constant reminder to my enormous stupidty.

[EDIT]
Mr.Clark wrote:That resets all the votes ;)

I wondered why it asked me to vote again. :lol:
Birdshit

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:33 pm

Oh, found it... not where I left it though. I tend to stay out of the Drunk Tank, as it's usually full of incoherent shit.

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:54 pm

I think it depends, and has to be left to the discretion of the mods. In general I think that locking should be a last resort and it's not a decision to take lightly.

I agree with a lot of what RB said. Most stuff will sort itself out pretty quickly and sink to the bottom of the forum.

In the case of GF's thread I think it was right of Joe to lock it (and for Jez to move it to a private area). The privacy of the gal was in danger of being breached (photos, names, general 'net stalking), which isn't fair. A new thread could be created to discuss the morals/ethics of GF's story, but the original thread was going in a dodgy direction.

There's no 'line in the sand' per se, which is why we have out marvellous team of mods to judge each case individually. It can always be brought to referendum if necessary.

I've got no problems with how things are a present.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:20 pm

I am the Law.
I am also drinking.

I will be the Law some more. ;)

Chuck Steak
Tag: poo

Postby Chuck Steak » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:28 pm

I don't think there's any reason to lock threads. I think anything illegal or posts which personally identify people against their will or without their consent should be removed but the thread should remain unlocked so it can die naturally.
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 pm

I chose "Not until it degrades into the obviously ridiculous" because the circumstances for the OP asking for the thread to be closed can vary. As Mr.C said, someone may decide that the thread is just boring or they aren't having fun anymore and request closure and thats not really right. The flip side to that is when the abuse levels reach a high (and I felt they did in the afore mentioned thread) the OP should be able to ask a MOD to put an end to it (with the MOD reserving the right to overrule the OP if the thread isn't too harsh).

Also, people are different. Some have thicker skin than others. I personally can take abuse by the bucketload because I have far more pressing issues to worry about but we all have our limits. The other key factor in that thread was that on top of all the stick GF was getting, Hyder posted the second 'shopped image in retaliation, not jest and whereas the first one had a comical element to it the second one was clearly meant to offend! The thread really did go South from that point onwards.

I think the MODs are intelligent enough to realise when a thread is descending into utter chaos or breaching the AUP but there are clearly times when threads may have to be vetted or in extreme cases locked because the OP has clearly reached their limit of abuse/barraging of insults/harassment.

Basically what I think I've just said is that there is no black and white here. I see shades of gray!

Return to “Referendums”