Locking of threads

If you have a suggestion for the forum, post your idea here with an appropriate poll and a fair time limit: the majority wins.

When should a thread be locked?

Whenever the OP asks
29%
Not until it degrades into the obviously ridiculous
48%
Never
24%

Total votes: 21

Jezreel

Re: Locking of threads

Postby Jezreel » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:29 pm

I lock too much shit anyway, I've been told.
Ain't nobody impeached me yet though, but inane shite you can take to other forums, quote pyramids are one version of that "I'm bored, I want to be a cunt" phase.
There's a seperate folder for that. I won't lock, but I'll put shit in there from now on, it's hidden from non members, and we all know Alex likes to read our forum ;)

But yeah, er, point.... there isn't one. People shout fucking loud enough if they feel hard done to, don't worry. They have at me.

Chuck Steak
Tag: poo

Postby Chuck Steak » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:45 pm

Yeah, we don't need any kind of set in stone rules. The great thing about a reasonably tight knit forum like this is that common sense and good judgement is usually all that's needed. Just let the mods do what seems right when people feel something needs doing.

It's worked up until now.

Not like certain other forums where its like "LULZ VILL NOT BE TOLERATED. SUBMIT UND OBEY" even though such a hard stance rarely does anything to help the "victims" of said lulz, given that all the mods do is roll in a month after everythings already been trashed and go ban everyone who didn't do it.
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Steve
Tag: SSSSSSSSssssssssss

Postby Steve » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:42 am

I'd say both 1 and 2.

A thread should be locked / deleted at the OP's request, and it should also be locked if it gets out of hand, IMO.

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Postby MEGAHYDER » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:45 am

NEVER

As we all know i don't even believe in mod powers.

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:57 am

Good morning.

Firstly, Gamerfreak's discussion about this girl only turned into a full thread because I split it off from Custom Tags, so technically it was mine to lock. Some might say it only went on as long as it did because it became a separate thread in the first place, but whatever. The stuff that he posted there was done so without any kind of forethought or consideration for this girl's feelings, and he was quite rightly lambasted for being such an epic tool. I felt he had learned a harsh lesson about keeping personal shit private and so locked the thread to close the subject. I also support Jez's decision to move the thread out of the main public forum rather than delete it outright, as it serves as a private reminder to GF to think before he posts.

I rarely put my mod hat on because I believe that 99% of the time threads should be allowed to grow and develop on their own, with the collective judgement of the forum steering them in the right direction. However, if anyone honestly believes that this girl deserves to have the details of her personal life left out in public then feel free to appeal both our decisions.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Right, let me clear a few things up.

The idea of this thread was to gauge opinion on how the community would want the Mods to deal with threads and the locking of them, more specifically if it should always be done on the OPs request. To this end, I used GFs recent thread merely to illustrate where I felt the waters were a tad muddied and how two different systems were being used in parallel, causing one Mod to lock something another Mod had already declined to. AT NO POINT WAS I CRITICISING JOE'S DECISION, nor that of Jez's to move it. In fact, Jez doing so has given us the ample opportunity to create the new Archive forum, so that's a Very Good Thing. A lot of comments here have related directly to the thread in question as the definitive example of the rule, whereas I just wanted us to create some sort of guidance. That's all.

Given that the poll appears to be swinging towards the way I view things, then I'm content enough to leave the way I do things as they are. That doesn't mean I was right and Joe was wrong, as there is no such thing here in this case, it's just finding a common ground to work from. Joe's stated his case and I completely support his decision, regardless of what I did/would have done. I still think that, 18 months down the line or however long it's been, the fact that we've had relatively few discussions on how this place should be run says more for us a decent, sensible community than anything, and I'm just happy to be here.

*sniff* I LOVE YOU ALL XXX
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Savara

Postby Savara » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:22 pm

I voted for the 'Not until madness transcends the fourteenth dimension....' one, but I don't think it's as clear cut as that. Mods are mods 'cos they can use their own judgement, I'm happy to leave it at that.

Nemesis
Tag: Misanthrope

Postby Nemesis » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:44 am

Option 2 got my vote.

I think you mods are doing a sterling effort. How you cope with the sheer barrage of problematic posts, I don't know.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:44 pm

:lol: Buttmunch ;)

Nemesis
Tag: Misanthrope

Postby Nemesis » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:45 pm

:o

Impeachment! I can't deal with this abuse.

Revoke my account, call the internet police, anything!!!!!1

Screamo
Tag: Mass Effected

Postby Screamo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:18 pm

not sure my opinion counts as i've only been here for 5mins but i've gone with option 2.

Moderators are moderators because they know whats best for the forum. to bastardise a quote from Die Hard 4.0 "Thats make them those guys".

However, I also think that if an OP requests a thread be closed then it should be taken under consideration by the Mods That Be.

RB

Postby RB » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:27 pm

Screamo wrote:Moderators are moderators because they know whats best for the forum. to bastardise a quote from Die Hard 4.0 "Thats make them those guys"

Actually the mods are mods because they were the first to arrive when the place opened then there was a vote of some kind ;) It's all very complicated, I'm sure Nemesis can explain as he was there.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:55 pm

First in democracy. It just worksâ„¢

Screamo
Tag: Mass Effected

Postby Screamo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:19 pm

what ████ ██ ass██████████ ██████ is this?

█████████████████████████████

█ want ██████ censor█████████ by someone who ████ best!!

████████████ said ███ Communism.

████████ Screamo ████ not █████████████ free███████████ nor ████████████████████████████████████████████████ nice ███
Last edited by RB on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Your wish is my command comrade

gamerfreak
Tag: Spotted Dick = yummy!

Postby gamerfreak » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:44 pm

WTF? I've never seen that before! What is that?!
Birdshit

Return to “Referendums”