Mobile theme

If you have a suggestion for the forum, post your idea here with an appropriate poll and a fair time limit: the majority wins.

Do you browse the board on a mobile / small screened device?

No, I stick with a normal PC/Laptop
35%
Yes, but my browser is good enough that I don't have any problems
50%
I do / try / want to, but my browser is shit so it is almost impossible to use
15%

Total votes: 20

Dan

Mobile theme

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:09 pm

Just trying to gauge interest in trying to make the board a bit more mobile friendly. I know it's horrible with IE on WM, for example.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Mobile theme

Postby Ekona » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:14 pm

It's perfect on the Why Aye Furn, and it fits very nicely on my PC and iMac screens. I'm against changing it if it means changing the subsilver theme, but if it just needs a brand new mobile-specific theme adding that people can either use or not use then why not?
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:19 pm

It wouldn't change either of the existing themes, ideally just detect if you were on a mobile and then slim things down a bit.

Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:07 pm

As Dan says, it works pretty well in Safari iPhone but then most sites do anyway, although if I'm honest I'd prefer a tighter theme with larger text and bigger icons for things like Image

Let me know if you want a hand coming up with something.

RB

Postby RB » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:34 pm

I think it looks ghey on my Touch as well as my Palm so I'd welcome a diet version.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:37 pm

Joe wrote:As Dan says, it works pretty well in Safari iPhone but then most sites do anyway, although if I'm honest I'd prefer a tighter theme with larger text and bigger icons for things like Image

Let me know if you want a hand coming up with something.
I was planning on just seeing what was available at www.phpbb.com, but if you're interested in developing something 'light n large' independently (as I didn't really find much when I had a quick look the other week) then drop me a PM. Nothing happening till next week because I've got an exam on friday though.

Ward
Tag: ಠ_ಠ

Postby Ward » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:58 pm

On Opera Mini/Mobile, there aren't many problems because both use intelligent resizing and reflow the paragraphs according to zoom and virtual screen width. Opera Mini (the Java based one) is much faster, but doesn't do anything with Youtube clips. Opera Mobile can be made to support YouTube, but not as nicely as Safari. Safari on the iPhone/Touch doesn't reflow text to reduce side scrolling, but you can rotate the screen to increase the font size without having to scroll sideways and squint.

But both suffer when navigating the forum - it still designed for desktop browsers. Especially when trying to write posts. Opera Mini/Mobile both at least support cut'n'paste, but nothing else.

AFAIK, you can get a plugin which detects mobile browsers. It drastically reduces the bandwidth used and overrides the default style sheets to support small screen sizes. It'll really improve Safari on the forum. So..

Rabid Opera Fanboy

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:39 pm

Now I've actually used the site on my touch I'd say that Ward is right; Safari renders it all correctly, but some of the controls are just too fiddly. A specific version for mobile devices would be great. Maybe even a specific one for iPhone/iTouch, since they're so popular?

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:54 am

Tinlad wrote:Now I've actually used the site on my touch I'd say that Ward is right; Safari renders it all correctly, but some of the controls are just too fiddly. A specific version for mobile devices would be great. Maybe even a specific one for iPhone/iTouch, since they're so popular?
Anything specific will be for mobile devices in general. I see no particular need to supply one just for the touch/iphone when a generalised mobile one would do the same job for more people. Sounds like a popular idea though, so it will definitely be looked into.

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 am

I would welcome a mobile version of the forum. Even though I have an iPhone, it would be great to have a basic version for when only GPRS is available. A good example of mobile trimming is the BBC PDA website. It gives me the same info (almost) as the desktop version but uses less graphics and simple layout that even basic HTML mobiles display it without much issue.

Chuck Steak
Tag: poo

Postby Chuck Steak » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:12 pm

I check posts on my mobile every now and then. It works but it isn't ideal, I get eye strain very quickly and give up.

At the moment I've set it so web traffic goes through Vodafone's phone-internet-atron to convert it for use on a mobile - so I have no idea what it'd look like if my phone tried to load the site straight off the net, doubt it would work.
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:15 pm

I think there's a point where even the best theme in the world isn't going to make it better, and attempting to browse a very text-oriented site on a mobile is that point.

gamerfreak
Tag: Spotted Dick = yummy!

Postby gamerfreak » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:28 pm

I find it a doddle to browse and post on my phone. As Ward said, Opera Mini resizes it to fit the screen. Easy as cake to use the site on a 5cm x 10cm* screen.

I'd personally not see a major benefit in implementing a mobile-friendly screen.

*Guesstimate.
Birdshit

Joe

Postby Joe » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:28 pm

And yet you frequently use it as an excuse when making typos or short posts?

Seriously, the difference a mobile-specific theme makes is definitely enough to justify having one.

Helios

Postby Helios » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Aren't typos more of a case that his hands can't handle whatever keyboard type thing his phone has rather than it not displaying properly?

:|

Return to “Referendums”