Open link in new window

If you have a suggestion for the forum, post your idea here with an appropriate poll and a fair time limit: the majority wins.

Would it be useful?

Poll ended at Fri May 08, 2009 1:00 am

Yes
40%
No
53%
Who cares
7%

Total votes: 15

gamerfreak
Tag: Spotted Dick = yummy!

Open link in new window

Postby gamerfreak » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:59 am

Please add the feature, Dan. it only takes about 5 minutes. I just done it myself. See. :D

I used this link.

Well... *stretches fingers* that's my accomplishment for the day!

I put the poll time limit for 30 days although I haven't voted myself. I think it's wrong if the OP votes. :lol:
Birdshit

Steve
Tag: SSSSSSSSssssssssss

Re: Open link in new window

Postby Steve » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:34 am

You mean like, middle clicking?

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:22 am

Well I voted yes, as it would be a much-appreciated feature for me personally. GF, feel free to vote in your own poll as you've got just as much right as anyone else on here to have your view (even though it's a bit obvious which way you'll vote ;) ).
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:43 am

No, it's shit, pointless, annoying, and violates standards. Use the middle mouse button.

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:16 am

I voted yes as I prefer for links in forums to open in a new window/tab and it replicates the behaviour of most forums I use.

When using my Mac I have to hold the Apple key down and click to open in a new window/tab!

Ward
Tag: ಠ_ಠ

Postby Ward » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:34 am

Get a mouse with proper buttons! :P

I have a dozen buttons over mine. Mapped one to the shift key. Hold that down when clicking a link and it will open it in a new tab and bring it to the fore.
Rabid Opera Fanboy

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:38 am

Not all of us use the middle mouse button for opening in a new window, y'know. When did it become standard for mice to do that then?

How is it annoying? I'd rather it opened somewhere else than opening up on the page I'm trying to read: That way it can load in the background whilst I carry on reading.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

gamerfreak

Postby gamerfreak » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:46 am

Ekona wrote:Well I voted yes, as it would be a much-appreciated feature for me personally. GF, feel free to vote in your own poll as you've got just as much right as anyone else on here to have your view (even though it's a bit obvious which way you'll vote ;) ).

Okay thanks, Ekona. Voted. :D
Birdshit

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:02 pm

Ekona wrote:How is it annoying? I'd rather it opened somewhere else than opening up on the page I'm trying to read: That way it can load in the background whilst I carry on reading.
Because there are a number of easy and widely accepted mouse and keyboard shortcuts to open a new window or tab when you want to do that. There are no such shortcuts to open a link in the same tab.

Any modern and well-written website will not open new windows unless told to do so, as this is the defined web standard which ought to be adhered to. Not behaving in this way only serves to create confusion.

nomis
Site Admin
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby nomis » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:09 pm

Ekona wrote:Not all of us use the middle mouse button for opening in a new window, y'know. When did it become standard for mice to do that then?

The idea is that a left click should open the link in the current window, because when you're navigating around a website that is what you want and so is default behaviour. When you break that standard and start making left clicks open new windows in certain contexts you break the user expectation of opening in the same window - ie you take the choice away from the user and break the convension.

Enforcing the standard of left click = same window means the user is always in control - they know what will happen if they left click for all situations and have the option of middle click, or right click new window if they should so wish.

So basically, this mod doesn't add a feature, it just removes choice.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Dan wrote:Because there are a number of easy and widely accepted mouse and keyboard shortcuts to open a new window or tab when you want to do that. There are no such shortcuts to open a link in the same tab.

Any modern and well-written website will not open new windows unless told to do so, as this is the defined web standard which ought to be adhered to. Not behaving in this way only serves to create confusion.

Sorry, but that's crap*. All forums I have ever used in the history of the entire internet have opened a new window when you click a link, including the old version of this place. This is the only forum I've ever used that opens a link in the same window. I'm sure that there is some little rule in the Magic Book Of The Internet & Associated Standards that says a link should open in the same window, but I've never seen it used apart from here. Standards are fine, but when they make things awkward they should be happily ignored. I dunno, maybe it's just me and GF that are used to forums working normally.

*That's not a slight at you, more at the "standard". I'm sure it's true.

gamerfreak

Postby gamerfreak » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:15 pm

Maybe we should make our own little forum, huh? :lol:

Two little recluses. :cool:
Birdshit

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Gotta agree with nomis and Dan.

Sorry.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:20 pm

Ekona wrote:Sorry, but that's crap*. All forums I have ever used in the history of the entire internet have opened a new window when you click a link, including the old version of this place. This is the only forum I've ever used that opens a link in the same window.
Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do; from a standards perspective, or a usability perspective, whichever you choose. The standard says leave the choice up to the user, as do usability concerns: the user decides the behaviour of their web browser, not the website. That that isn't a choice everywhere is bad design, and bad design is not a good reason to implement more bad design.

nomis
Site Admin
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby nomis » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Ekona wrote:All forums I have ever used in the history of the entire internet have opened a new window when you click a link, including the old version of this place.

Just because all the other forums do it doesn't mean its right. If all the other forums jumped off a cliff... :lol:

The point is left click = same window is the default, expected result for 90% of the links on a page, and changing the effect for the other 10% is just bad usability. And the fact that so many developers have ignored usability in the past is no reason to keep bad patterns now.

To say that the old way makes more sense is illogical, and it only makes sense because its what you're used to - its essentially a bad habit.

The biggest problem of all is that implementing this change may allow you to use the forum as you always have but it affects all the people who are happy with it now, where as a simple bit of Javascript or a Grease Monkey script in your browser could recreate the effect you want without altering the forum for everyone else.

Return to “Referendums”