Open link in new window *REVISITED*

If you have a suggestion for the forum, post your idea here with an appropriate poll and a fair time limit: the majority wins.

Would you like links to open in a new tab?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:37 am

Yes
38%
No
44%
Don't Care
19%

Total votes: 16

xnorthernlassx

Open link in new window *REVISITED*

Postby xnorthernlassx » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:37 am

Original Topic: http://www.otherplaceforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1694

Heya

As tabbed browsing is now standard on all browsers, I thought this one would be worth revisiting to see if people still feel the same way they did when the poll was first done back in er 2007?

If I had been about, I would have voted yes. I noticed only 15 votes were made, and there are 115 members now.
Personally, I dont like having to use greasemonkey scripts to do something which can easily be included in a website.

Anyhoo, have done a new poll to see what people think

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Re: Open link in new window *REVISITED*

Postby Tinlad » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:42 am

For me it's a 'no'.

The choice as to whether a link opens in a new window/tab should be down to the user, not the webpage. I find it intensely annoying when a web-developer decides for me.

If I want a link to open in the same window, I click it. New window; shift+click and new tab; cmd+click or middle button.

gamerfreak
Tag: Spotted Dick = yummy!

Postby gamerfreak » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:46 am

Well personally it doesn't bother me as much anymore. I've gone to Google Chrome now as Firefox was just being a PITA and don't have Greasemonkey installed (don't even know if GM is available for Chrome). The GM script satisfied my needs, though.

I'm fine either way so I'm voting 'don't care'.
Birdshit

xnorthernlassx

Postby xnorthernlassx » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:49 am

Tinlad wrote:The choice as to whether a link opens in a new window/tab should be down to the user, not the webpage

is there some way of adding that as an option, like say a check box in the UCP?

Blak
Tech Moderator
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Blak » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:52 am

Tinlad wrote:For me it's a 'no'.

The choice as to whether a link opens in a new window/tab should be down to the user, not the webpage. I find it intensely annoying when a web-developer decides for me.

If I want a link to open in the same window, I click it. New window; shift+click and new tab; cmd+click or middle button.

Exactly this ^

The user should always be in control of how they browse. Every browser allows the user to open a link in a new tab using middle click if they so desire.

xnorthernlassx wrote:
Tinlad wrote:The choice as to whether a link opens in a new window/tab should be down to the user, not the webpage

is there some way of adding that as an option, like say a check box in the UCP?

Not without getting Dan to customise the forum. Middle clicking on links does exactly what you want, use the tools your browser provides.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:20 pm

Well I'm firmly in the Yes camp on this one. Nothing annoys me more than clicking a link in this forum that then takes me away from what I was reading, and that's why I've got GM scripts installed to allow me to do that (although I can't remember who made them now, Nomis?). That's how it used to be on the whole of the interweb until some bright spark decided they wanted to implement something called a 'standard', when there was nothing wrong with the status quo.

I know I'm in the minority here, but that's just how I got used to the interweb working and change gives me the cold sweats.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Steve
Tag: SSSSSSSSssssssssss

Postby Steve » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:41 pm

This.

No offence intended here, but it's not that hard to just middle click a link rather than left click..

xnorthernlassx

Postby xnorthernlassx » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Steve wrote:

This.

No offence intended here, but it's not that hard to just middle click a link rather than left click..

It is if you don't have a middle button or a wheel lol

RobD
Tag: Too cool for School

Postby RobD » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Yes for me as if I'm on my phone its a total pain in the arse!!
Woop Woop Woop

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:29 pm

No. As things currently are you have a choice of behaviour: forcing an (incorrect) one is daft.

Making this change would actually be counter-productive for those who request it in terms of long-term usability: web standards have risen to enormous prominence in the web-development field, and more and more websites will be adopting the behaviour of this one as they go through redesigns. You're going to have to get used to it eventually...

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:30 pm

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!11
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:00 pm

From a usability standpoint I'm with Ekona on this but as a person who does web work (mostly server-side programming) I think its important to adhere to standards. Its case of "I don't like the behaviour but I'll put up with it". There is another thread on here that has my thoughts on standards and particularly how the W3C manage them (i.e. not very well IMHO).

Surely there is a phpBB mod that could implement this at profile level (or someone with decent PHP skills)? If you could have the option in your user profile that would surely satisfy all parties. It would require a fair bit of modification of the pages but the code itself should be fairly basic.

RobD
Tag: Too cool for School

Postby RobD » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:14 pm

Dan wrote:No. As things currently are you have a choice of behaviour: forcing an (incorrect) one is daft.

Making this change would actually be counter-productive for those who request it in terms of long-term usability: web standards have risen to enormous prominence in the web-development field, and more and more websites will be adopting the behaviour of this one as they go through redesigns. You're going to have to get used to it eventually...

Even if the yes's outway the no's?

Woop Woop Woop

Blak
Tech Moderator
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Blak » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:03 pm

xnorthernlassx wrote:
Steve wrote:

This.

It is if you don't have a middle button or a wheel lol

Ctrl+click does the same thing.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:07 am

Ooh, controversy.

I'm voting "Don't Care", as while I'm philosophically with the web standards side, I'm more with the "Apathy Rules" team.

Plus I have a mouse with a middle button, so I just click with that anyway...

Return to “Referendums”