Mod Chop Shop

If you have a suggestion for the forum, post your idea here with an appropriate poll and a fair time limit: the majority wins.

Mod Chop Shop Forum - yes or no?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 18

Joe

Mod Chop Shop

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi.

I was thinking it would be useful to have some kind of mod-only forum, into which topics can be moved pending further action. Like when you need to cut and merge posts from several threads into one, or if a locked topic needs moving out of the public eye to strip out whatever shit caused it to get locked. I can think of a few times when I'd have been grateful of a place like that, especially when lots of people are busily posting away in topics you're trying to chop, move or merge, or if you need a second opinion/review before deleting something entirely.

Just an idea.

Chuck Steak
Tag: poo

Re: Mod Chop Shop

Postby Chuck Steak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:32 pm

locked topic? out of the public eye? Starting to sound too much like PCFF to me. ;)
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Steve
Tag: SSSSSSSSssssssssss

Postby Steve » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:40 pm

Chuck Steak wrote:locked topic? out of the public eye? Starting to sound too much like PCFF to me. ;)

nomis
Site Admin
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby nomis » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Chuck Steak wrote:locked topic? out of the public eye? Starting to sound too much like PCFF to me. ;)

Not quite, what Joe's asking for is essentially a thread clipboard. A place to hold a thread while it is in the process of being split, merged or pruned or whatever as doing such tasks while people are trying to post in the thread is hazardous.

However I'm not convinced its needed, even if it is used as I've mentioned above, the mere existance of a hidden forum will lead to all sorts of conspiracy theories*.

In such cases would it not be easier to just lock the thread in question, perform the action and then unlock to prevent new posts being added while the modding is performed?

* Maybe one has already be created and this is all a bluff :lol:

Chuck Steak

Postby Chuck Steak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:56 pm

I'm all for helping the mods but I don’t think the amount of modding that goes on justifies a hidden forum and with the comparatively high percentage of mods we have here the potential for abuse is large. Maybe if we had a 1000 users instead of just 100 it would make more sense but at the moment it seems unnecessary.
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:08 pm

While I'm all for transparency, I can't really see how it could represent a privacy issue. The end result is going to be the same whether the chopping/merging/deleting takes place in public while other people are still posting or if it happens out of the way where the mods can more effectively work together.

If you suspect one of us is likely to abuse such a facility then shouldn't you be holding an impeachment vote? What's the point of having moderators you don't trust?

Chuck Steak

Postby Chuck Steak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:13 pm

I trust the mods at the moment, I just think when you give people extra powers they're going to use them. And since there isn't a particularly strong need for more power then the new forum could easily turn into a place for mods to chat amongst themselves away form our prying eyes. While it's not something I'm particularly worried about, the potential is always there.

nomis
Site Admin
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby nomis » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:24 pm

I voted no, purely because I dont think its needed, but I don't see the problem in terms of privacy?

What extra powers would this forum grant mods? I don't see any?

Mods already have the ability to talk away from prying eyes. As does everyone else (PM's, email, MSN, phone, carrier pigeon etc).

With the moderation logs its pretty impossible for the rogue moderation of PCFF to take place here.

Chuck Steak

Postby Chuck Steak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:31 pm

Meh, I never mentioned privacy but you're right.

The main reason I voted no is also because I don't think it's needed, the abuse thing was a side note tbh.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:06 pm

I voted yes for the simple reason that a clipboard style place is handy. And I can confirm 100% there is no secret forum on here at all.

Nomis is right: If I want a gossip, I'll use the PM function.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:17 pm

There's already super-nazi-mod facilities for reporting posts, adding user reports and feedback, queuing topics for approval, issuing warnings and chatting about people behind their backs. None of these get used, because we don't have those kind of problems on TOP.

But a clipboard/workshop forum to help mods do their thang more efficiently would be pretty useful, as Ekona says.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:09 pm

I VOTE FOR COMMUNISM

LET EVERYONE BE A MOD AGAIN BECAUSE THAT WAS FUN ¬_¬

RB

Postby RB » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:45 pm

I think that under the banner of openness in which this place was created that the section should be created to make any thread jiggery pokery easier but it should be viewable by all but read only to all but mods. I think phpbb3's spangley newness can do such things.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 pm

I think I voted no, but I would agree to it if it were done in the way that RB describes.

Chuck Steak

Postby Chuck Steak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:45 pm

I concur with RB

Return to “Referendums”