For any tech-related problems

Moderator: Tech Moderators

Captain Sisko
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

iMac and Bootcamp help needed

Postby Captain Sisko » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:14 pm

I hope you're all sat down with a good cuppa for this tale of Bad Apples

I was working on a friends out of warranty iMac 27"
They were having an issue where the Mac screen would go off but the Mac still running in the background (like a screensaver) and it takes a sequence of presses to get it back displaying. But the screen was brighter on one side than the other.
Things went kind of bad to worse with a PSU blowing then the screen connector getting damaged (long headache of a story)

As the screen needed replacing anyway my mate bought a second hand iMac 27" same year but slightly beefier spec (his orig was core i3 and the newer one is Core i7) and swapped the Hard Disks over
Now everything sort of works (no screen issues anymore) with a few minor niggles

1 - Upon swapping the HD's over Windows Activation popped up but seemed to re-activate fine. But a week later Windows Activation popped up again. It's running Windows 7 as it was set up when the Mac was purchased from PC World when new and unfortunately no CoA present. Would PC World supply a CoA?
2 - The Apple wireless mouse no longer works in Windows 7

That seems to be about it

So what I need to know is Windows Activation - If it asks for re-activation can Windows be re-installed the same way as on a PC (with a valid CoA) and without losing data
Plus the Wireless mouse would setting it all up in MacOS make sure it works in Windows?

DCUK7

Re: iMac and Bootcamp help needed

Postby DCUK7 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:14 pm

The Windows install you have will be an OEM product key which Microsoft won't activate online. Sometimes you can call them and they might give you a new product key so it will activate. Don't tell them exactly what happened though. You are only allowed to change 2-3 components of a computer before they class it as a different computer.

Alternatively, download Windows Loader by Daz (Google that exact term). It will re-arm the OS with some clever trickery and as the product key isn't blacklisted, it will always show as a valid copy of Windows.

As for the mouse, try deleting the pair from Bluetooth settings and pairing it up again. If that fails, reinstall the bootcamp drivers (some Mac's come with slightly different BT chips and require a different driver).

Captain Sisko
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Captain Sisko » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 pm

How do you re-install bootcamp drivers
Is this done in MacOS or Windows 7

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:10 pm

Create a driver CD/USB in OS X, reboot to Windows, install drivers.

There should be a utility called 'Boot Camp Assistant' in OS X that'll step you through creating the CD/USB.

Return to “Tech Help”