Apple Airplay help plz

For any tech-related problems

Moderator: Tech Moderators

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Apple Airplay help plz

Postby Ekona » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:34 am

Any ideas on this would be much appreciated please folks.

Setup is as this:
PC with Win7, this has the iTunes library file on it.
NAS running UnRAID, this has the actual music files on it.
Apple TV3 connected via WiFi downstairs, to the main AVR/TV setup.
Numerous iOS devices, all running 8.2.
Last gen iMac that has an independent iTunes library & files on it.

PC, iMac & NAS are connected via ethernet, to a Netgear GS742T switch via patch panel.
Connected to that is a Netgear 3700 wifi cable router, and supplying that with fibre DSL is an original BT Infinity 'white' modem.

My issue is that nothing can see the iTunes library on the PC, apart from the PC itself. Now a list of things I've changed, tried, and know to work:

I used to run a HomeHub5, but some folks said they had an issue with Bonjour so I ditched that and bought the Netgear router. Same problems.
If I connect the PC using a WiFi dongle, everything works fine. I can Airplay to my heart's content.
In case it was an issue with the bridging between ethernet and WiFi, I tried the Plex app on iOS. Works fine over local, proving that a wireless device can access an ethernet device (in my case, the NAS). Also, the iMac works fine, I can see the library on there from any iOS device and that's also connected via ethernet.
I can Airplay files from my iPhone to the ATV3 directly, and that works fine.

It seems fairly clear that there is *something* on the PC that is stopping the iTunes library being seen. Now, I've briefly turned off the Win7 firewall and it made no difference. I've checked the Bonjour service is running. I've opened up just about every port I could find via the Apple website that's specifically related to iTunes, and still no dice. I've had a mate who is pretty handy with Apple stuff and works as an network engineer come and have a play, and he has no idea either. At this point, I'm happy for stabs in the dark to be taken!

Apologies for the long post, I understand if no-one else has a clue either, as it's very weird.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Re: Apple Airplay help plz

Postby Tinlad » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:06 pm

Is everything on the same subnet?

Your Netgear switch is a managed switch, right? Are there any settings that might interfere with multicast traffic (Bonjour)? Does it have a built-in firewall of its own? If you patch the PC directly into the router (still via Ethernet, but bypassing the switch) does it work?

Have you double checked W7s Home/Public/Private network settings?

Just typing things that pop into my head - not sure if they'll help!

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:36 pm

I tried bypassing the Netgear switch, same result, no connection. Plex is on multicast as well though, and that has no issues at all.

All on the same subnet.

It's on the Home network and it's set to allow everything access.

Mate, this is doing my head in something chronic, I'll take any pointers I can! :lol:
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

RB

Postby RB » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:06 pm

Have you made sure your Bonjour installation is up to date? updating iTunes on PC doesn't always update Bonjour.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:02 pm

Sounds interesting, I'll go see if there's a link somewhere.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Okay, this is getting VERY odd now.

I went back to iTunes before doing anything, and POOF! Suddenly I could see the ATV3 and stream music to it. I still couldn't find the library in Remote on iOS though.

I uninstalled Bonjour, then discovered you can't just download it by itself so I had to uninstall iTunes and reinstall iTunes again. No huge issues there, however I'm now am back to square one as I cannot even see the ATV3 on iTunes to stream to at all any more! :evil:

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:43 pm

FUCKING GET IN, SORTED!!! :D :D :D

Right, I started doing some random searching to check if Bonjour is working properly, and came across this page:

http://www.technipages.com/itunes-for-w ... oesnt-work

I did the second bit about iTunes using IP6 instead of IP4 for routing, turned it off on my connection and POW it works perfectly now! Or at least, I can see the library on my iPhone which I couldn't before, and I can play stuff on the PC from there too.

Thanks guys, I'll have to run some more diagnostics to prove it's all good, but it's looking good! :D

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:17 pm

It's always great when you finally sort out something thats pissing you off like that :D

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:17 pm

It's always great when you finally sort out something thats pissing you off like that :D

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:44 pm

You have no idea how angry that has made me over the last week or so! :lol:

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:49 pm

Can't believe I didn't think of IPv6 - I had the same issue when getting AirPlay working between my Mac and a RPi ages ago!

Glad it's sorted though!

Return to “Tech Help”