Bluetooth headphones & Android

For any tech-related problems

Moderator: Tech Moderators

Mr.Clark

Bluetooth headphones & Android

Postby Mr.Clark » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Does anyone here use bluetooth headphones with Android?

I've just bought a pair, and they're fine for about 10 minutes use, then, if the phone is in a pocket (you know, where it... lives), the playback will start to freeze and resume. After it does this a couple of times, the speed will increase for a bit, then it'll go back to freezing and resuming.

I'm not sure if this is caused by the phone or the headphones. If I have the screen on and am holding the phone in front of me, playback is fine indefinitely. If I cover the top of the phone and start to move it forwards, playback starts breaking up. It's as if the transmitter on the phone doesn't have the range, except that I thought bluetooth was supposed to have a range of ~10 metres (or possibly feet, but either way, my arms aren't that long!).

A quick Google provides lots of people with many opinions, but none of them seem to offer consensus (It's Lollipop! No, it's ART, no, tweak THESE settings and it's fine). I have tested on a OnePlus One running 5.02 (no option for Dalvik) and a PadFone running 4.1.1, (so definitely not ART). Issue happens on both of them.

My pockets aren't lined with tin foil or anything either.

Any ideas/experience?

RB

Re: Bluetooth headphones & Android

Postby RB » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:54 pm

I use Bluetooth speakers and I had stuttering like you describe while streaming over WiFI on 2.4GHz . I switched to 5GHz and it stopped. I think the 2.4GHz Bluetooth suffers interference from the WiFi. It may be a similar thing for you.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:14 am

I tried turning the wifi off and playing locally stored music, but it still happened... alas :(

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Although I don't have an android, i use bluetooth speakers. I found that i would get the same issues youre getting if it was an older versions of bluetooth.

The last few iphones have all had 4.0 and it works perfect.

Although when I use my ipad/iphone and watch a film in the car via bluetooth there is an annoying delay that makes it unwatchable as it's 3.0.

Return to “Tech Help”