Latitude D620 with nVidia Quadro NVS 110m on Windows 10

For any tech-related problems

Moderator: Tech Moderators

Dan

Latitude D620 with nVidia Quadro NVS 110m on Windows 10

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:10 am

Warning: boring stuff ahead.

Spent the last two hours in an attempt to get the above graphics card in my decrepit laptop (Dell Lattitude D620) to work with Windows 10 so I could escape from 800x600 and get some work done on my nights this week. In the spirit of one of my favorite XKCDs, here is the solution as nobody else on any given website seems to have the faintest idea.

Things that don't work:
- Windows XP drivers from Dell website
- Any drivers from nVidia website (though I suspect that [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_nvs_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_179.48_beta.html"]these[/url] would have worked if it wasn't Dell's special version of the graphics card)

Things that do also don't work:
- The exceptionally well hidden Vista drivers on the Dell website. That are not linked to in 64-bit form from anywhere really, as far as I can see.
64 bit: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... erId=37NX5
32 bit: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... Id=R160485 (does Windows 10 even come in 32 bit?)
Installing and rebooting did absolutely nothing. Had to open device manager, right click the graphics card, and manually update the driver, pointing it to the directory the installer created when it was first run.

Works beautifully terribly, as just gives a black screen following a reboot. And a slight ongoing slight burning smell. Actual solution two posts down.

Sorry for tedium.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: nVidia Quadro NVS 110 on Windows 10

Postby Ekona » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:11 am

:D

Nothing better than the feeling of great success when you're the only person to have suffered the fault.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Dan

Re: nVidia Quadro NVS 110 on Windows 10

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:19 am

So I was not so fucking smug this morning when I booted the laptop to be met with a black screen and nothing else...

In the continuing spirit of the thread...

Booted safemode, rolled back driver.
After lots of dicking around, and futile attempts to edit the non-installing drivers downloaded from the nVidia website, I stumbled across this set of drivers:
http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/vista64/180.70

Downloaded both the compressed archive and the modified .inf, extracted the archive, and replaced the .inf inside it with the modified one.
The bundled installer did nothing.
In the end, what worked was:
Open device manager
Right click the display adaptor
"Update Driver"
"Browse my computer..."
"Let me pick..."
"Have Disk"
Select driver, have Windows refuse to install it because it's not digitally signed.
Also of note was that the driver thinks it's installing for a GeForce Go 7300 - ignore this, because it does actually work.

After the solution here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 222?auth=1

It did install, and I have proper resolution again.

What a ballache.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Latitude D620 with nVidia Quadro NVS 110 on Windows 10

Postby Ekona » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Until tomorrow. ;)
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

doogle
Tag: Likes squeezy cheesy cobs.

Re: Latitude D620 with nVidia Quadro NVS 110m on Windows 10

Postby doogle » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:57 pm

Dan wrote:Image

One of my friends had a very similar problem with this scenario, only the single result he found online was a thread that he himself had started a few years earlier, and then he posted that he'd fixed the problem, but not how he fixed it! :lol:

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:47 pm

I can only imagine the rage!

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:13 pm

http://www.siteguru.co.uk/musings/2015/ ... indows-10/

This thread is why I posted the above blog. I had hunted high and low for the solution to getting W10 working on my laptop ... the solution (in my case) was to do with the BIOS. Hopefully this might help someone else at some point.

flix.buster
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby flix.buster » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:57 am

The solution I've developed for myself in order to get Dell Latitude D620 laptop's video card NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M fully working on Win 10 32 bit:
- get official Dell video driver for Win Vista 32 bit (Dell Latitude D620, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M) - correct file is named [R180799.exe];
- get official NVIDIA video driver for Win 7 32 bit (NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M) - correct file is named [179.48_notebook_winvista_win7_32bit_beta.exe];
- unpack (use 7-Zip) Dell video driver (you should get folder [R180799] with all files inside, no other sub-folders);
- unpack (use 7-Zip) NVIDIA video driver (you should get folder [179.48_notebook_winvista_win7_32bit_beta] with some files and 2 sub-folders inside);
- from folder [R180799] copy 2 files ([nvdm.cat] and [nvdm.inf]) somewhere else;
- copy/cut all files from sub-folder [179.48_notebook_winvista_win7_32bit_beta\Display] and paste them into folder [R180799] - overwrite everything;
- copy/cut the 2 previously copied files ([nvdm.cat] and [nvdm.inf]) from where they are now and paste them into folder [R180799] - overwrite everything.

Congrats! You've now got your own mix-and-match-home-baked driver for NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M on Dell Latitude D620.
Now go to Device Manager and in [Display adapters] section select the existing entry, right click, click on [Update Driver Software].
Select [Browse my computer for driver software] and next select the full path where folder [R180799] is.
Click Next and let Windows do its thing. If you get some red-and-scary dialog, don't worry - just tell Windows to continue.
That's all - you don't even need to restart.

Note: Most probably (I haven't tested), the same procedure will work for Win 10 64 bit if the right 64 bit driver files are used (instead of the 32 bit driver files):
- official Dell video driver for Win Vista 64 bit - correct file is named [R142931.EXE];
- official NVIDIA video driver for Win 7 32 bit - correct file is named [179.48_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_beta.exe].
All folders names from the procedure above will change accordingly, of course.

Return to “Tech Help”