JEZ BUY ME SOME DRUMS (drum buying help plz)

Post as you see fit
Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

JEZ BUY ME SOME DRUMS (drum buying help plz)

Postby Ekona » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:07 am

Well, you can point me in the right direction anyway. ;)

I want a drum kit. Rock Band has me too hooked and I want to start doing it properly and stuff, but the only downside is that I can never have a proper acoustic kit in the house due to space and (more importantly) noise issues, so it'll have to be an electronic kit. I know they're not a patch feeling-wise on an acoustic kit, but then neither is the RB kit and I'm happy enough with that. Plus it shouldn't be too difficult to connect to the PC/Mac for proper song writing liek.

So Mr Jez (and the other musos on here), is this any good? £300 is about as high as I want to go so that rules out the truly decent Roland/Yamaha kits and this appears to be a pretty decent compromise.

Video:

Is it easy enough to go straight to a PC with this? MIDI to USB the best option? Any idea what the audio output sockets would be? Also looks like I need a proper kick drum pedal as well, anything I can get will work?

What about this as an alternative? These are the only ones I can find quickly on Amazon, if there's anything/anywhere else I should be looking at for this then please correct my newbishness. Thanks peeps, appreciate any info you can give me.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Re: JEZ BUY ME SOME DRUMS (drum buying help plz)

Postby MEGAHYDER » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:14 am

I reckon there will be some software around that allows you to use the rock band drum kit as a proper electric one once its hooked up to a PC

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:52 pm

Honestly never used one mate, so any advice I give here is based solely on years of accoustic playing.
I will say one thing though, for something like this, its WELL worth the trip to a music shop first to get their salespeople to talk you through it all. Find a drum centre near to you and get in there and tell them what you want. There is no substitute for fiddling around with it, I had to try 3 double kick pedals in the shop before I found the right one (the one I was gunna buy online, which was dearer, actually felt crap to me)
Erm... that's it bud.

I don't think I'd get used to a set like that quickly, but I'm sure I could find one I liked to play around on one day *sets thinking* hmmmm

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:59 pm

But it took me ages of guitar playing before I was brave enough to try a guitar out in front of a shop assistant, sod doing that on a set of drums right now :oops: :lol:

'Tis a good point you make though, even though it's an electronic kit it's still an instrument, so try before you buy still applies. Now all I need is a decent drum shop near me... *googles*
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:01 pm

Actually, anyone know of any good drum forums (pref UK-based)?

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:03 pm

Something I've never bothered with, as they get full of young wannabe famous fuckstick kids, and old timers that will argue about brands of cymbals for weeks on end. Cunts.
Although it may be diff now, not searched for one for a while.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:13 pm

Yeah, just had a quick search and there's fuck all out there, just wondered if I was missing something obvious. Cheers anyway matey, appreciate it.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:15 pm

No problem at all, it seems like I haven't helped at all :lol: I will gladly rebound ideas though, and may even see if I can get to our nearest drum place next weekend to see if they got a kit or two I can play on, give you a bit more of an informed (on my part) chat.
Now if you want a proper kit, we can get you going no probs ;)

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:17 pm

If I win the lottery and buys new big house, that's the first thing I'm going to buy. Over a new car, even. WUBS THE DRUMS

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:27 pm

I want a new kit
I can't afford one though, because I'd need to be spending somewhere in the region of about £2k
ffs

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Right, a bit more googling seems to be swaying me to the Alesis kit, as it's more popular and there's more add-on bits available for it. I think I may end up going for that one if I can find somewhere local that stocks it.

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Postby MEGAHYDER » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:13 pm

While searching for a Rock band --> pc solution i found this.

A man who has turned a real drumkit into a rock band controller

http://www.otronicon.org/InDash_Display.aspx?PGID=440

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:18 pm

I've got a 1995 Pearl Export you can buy for whatever they're going for on ebay if you want. Only problem is getting it from Yorkshire to Essex.

Edit: And the fact you want an electric kit. I shall read the op in future.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:36 am

What exactly is in this kit/hardware etc.
Exaclty poeapksem,

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:11 pm

Pearl Export, approx. 1995, in Alphine/Dark Green. Steel snare, bass, three hanging toms in fusion sizes. Hihat stand, cymbal stand, standard Pearl pedal, shit pearl crash/ride and hihats. Evans G2s on toms, remo pinstripe on base, and ambassador on snare.

Also being sold:
Zildjian Zxt Crash (small crack in outside), ride, hihats and china.
Paiste Pro Splash.
Pearl Eliminator Single pedal.
Meinl Cowbell and clamp stand.
Boom stand.
Cymbal clamp stand

Return to “The Lounge”