Re: The Amazing Wedding Thread

Postby kingweed » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:17 pm

Go to Prague or Hamburg for your stag.

Thats all, oh and gratz :)

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:44 pm

I spent all our wedding chatting with friends, I barely spoke to my family :mrgreen:
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

RB

Postby RB » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:47 pm

I spent all of our reception hiding. I hate crowds especially when they are looking at me.
Mrs RB spent all of it telling people to leave me alone.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

DJ
Tag: Cured

Postby DJ » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:34 am

Congrats Savara, got yourself a good looking lass there, you make a great couple :)

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:07 pm

I remember a time when a bloke posting pictures of him and his Mrs would have ended in photoshop tomfoolery.

Polito45
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom wanks yet

Postby Polito45 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Ah yes... happy days.

Spoiler/NSFW: (click to reveal/hide)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." — Aristotle

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:29 pm

DJ wrote:Congrats Savara, got yourself a good looking lass there, you make a great couple :)

Gotta be you next mate ;)
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

DJ
Tag: Cured

Postby DJ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:36 pm

Haha don't joke, there's a house and kids and something called a 5-year plan in full effect over here, of which I've given up any fight and just rolling with it!

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:46 pm

BOOM.
Get it done, your looks won't carry you forever ;)

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am

Savara wrote:
Tinlad wrote:Congrats, that's great news! :D All the cool kids get engaged in Paris. True fact.

Some things we learned whilst planning our wedding:
- We know far more people than we thought. Work out your numbers (rounded to the nearest 10, at least) early on to help you budget.

I know right. Our first list of people that we 'had' to invite was nearly 190 people. NOPE! Do you think 80-100 is a sensible number to aim for?

We had about 75 at our reception. That was constrained by budget and venue size, but it also worked out nicely in terms of how much time we were able to spend with people.

I think 80 or so is a sensible number - but remember that you can divide up your guests into different groups! Whilst we invited 75 people to the 'whole' day (church, reception, evening), we invited about 125 people in total to the church (capacity limited) and about 90 in total to the evening (again, capacity limited).

At first we were worried about offending people, but you soon think "bugger 'em". realise that people are pleased to be invited to any part of the day.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:19 am

Okay, well I'll stick my neck out here and say the opposite. Tbh if I'm not invited to the important bit (the ceremony), then I don't really want to be a part of it at all.

Now, I will make exceptions for very close friends who I know are limited on space or money, as that's fair enough, but as a rule if I'm not considered important enough to be invited to all of it then I probably just won't go. Early on we made the conscious decision to invite everyone to everything, as we couldn't see why we'd want people there for one bit but not the other. The whole day was important to us, not just one bit.

But of course, you should do whatever works for you: After all, it's your money!

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Postby MEGAHYDER » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:50 am

My dad is like Ekona, he got upset when his pal's son only invited him to the party.

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:21 pm

Ekona wrote:Okay, well I'll stick my neck out here and say the opposite. Tbh if I'm not invited to the important bit (the ceremony), then I don't really want to be a part of it at all.

Maybe I didn't explain it well: everyone was, at a minimum, invited to the ceremony and the evening do. It was just the reception (pre-drinks, meal, speeches - i.e. the really expensive bit) that we limited to 75.

So everyone got to see us get married, got tea and cake at the church and got to boogie to the band and eat sausage sarnies in the evening. It was a subset that got the sit-down meal too.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:27 pm

Sorry bud, wasn't having a pop at you! We only had two parts to ours, ceremony then reception and wedding breakfast were rolled into one. All in one venue too, which made it easier. Jez'll prob explain it better than me! :lol:

Only mentioned it as we've got the exact same thing going on right now, but with family. Only got an invite to the evening do, when we know for a fact that there's a shitload of space for the ceremony and it won't cost them a bean extra as we looked at the same place for our wedding. Not even like we're not close family: Granted, we may not see them too much, but we're proper mates too. Just annoys me that we're supposed to go to the bit in the evening for a buffet but not for the actual wedding part.

Oh, and they want cash for the wedding present too. No. Just no.

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:52 pm

No worries! I just wanted to make it clearer that everyone got to come to the ceremony - we wouldn't have even considered not inviting everyone to that bit. It what the whole day's about! It's pretty crappy that you aren't being invited.

Return to “The Lounge”