Discourse - An alternative to forums

Post as you see fit
Blak
Tech Moderator
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Discourse - An alternative to forums

Postby Blak » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Well-known in techy circles dude Jeff Atwood (the guy behind Stack Overflow) has turned his eye to the humble conversation and the idea of community building and forum software.

He's gave it a kick up the bum to make it all shiny and web two point oh, so along with all the boring features like unread counts, categories and remembering where you are in a thread it's all pretty, you get @mentions, marking things as favourites, easily creating tangential conversations and trivially embed media (oh and the option of writing posts in markdown which is a billionty times better than BBCode).

Here's the marketing site: http://www.discourse.org/

Here's the demo site: http://try.discourse.org/

Do you lovely lot think this is a neat reinvigoration or change for the sake of it?

Sam

Re: Discourse - An alternative to forums

Postby Sam » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:54 pm

I hate change.

looks like a clusterfuck
:-)

Polito45
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom wanks yet

Postby Polito45 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:55 pm

45 seconds on there made my eyes bleed and increased my hatred for "regular people" to a new high... I like it. :D
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." — Aristotle

Polito45

Postby Polito45 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:06 am

Just read the marketing page. It's a load of wank. I don't want any more reminders or notifications thanks.
When I access my Facebook account from another computer (which I do a lot) it asks me to give this computer a name.
It then sends an e-mail to my hotmail account saying that someone accessed my Facebook account from this computer.
The thing is I that I usually write "Fuck Off" when I'm asked to give the computer a name because I'm in a hurry and it's just another time wasting hurdle to jump through. I then receive 17 e-mails in my Hotmail account telling me to Fuck Off.... actually, I quite enjoy that bit.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." — Aristotle

RB

Postby RB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 am

It's like waiting for friends in a strange pub full of lots of groups talking about different things. It very hard to find a thread let alone follow it. It's like reading a twitter timeline full of replies that don't quote the original tweet.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Sam

Postby Sam » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 am

Polito45 wrote:Just read the marketing page. It's a load of wank. I don't want any more reminders or notifications thanks.
When I access my Facebook account from another computer (which I do a lot) it asks me to give this computer a name.
It then sends an e-mail to my hotmail account saying that someone accessed my Facebook account from this computer.
The thing is I that I usually write "Fuck Off" when I'm asked to give the computer a name because I'm in a hurry and it's just another time wasting hurdle to jump through. I then receive 17 e-mails in my Hotmail account telling me to Fuck Off.... actually, I quite enjoy that bit.

This. I get an email, and a text saying I logged in somewhere else, so while I'm at the computer (if its my own) I'd get an email notification on the computer, a text, and the same email coming through to my phone. It always sends me the time I logged in, but its not in GMT. It actually got to the point where yesterday I had to delete a heap of them because it said I had more than the maximum of 100 registered devices.

I would like the ability to mention people on a forum, it would be handy. Like if it was jailbait, you could be like "haha reminds me of @ekona"
:-)

Blak
Tech Moderator

Postby Blak » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 am

*Devils advocate mode firmly on*

It looks like a clusterfuck atm as that is a demo site that gets nuked every day for people to cock about in and fiddle with the platform rather than have a proper dialog. It's easy to look mental an uninviting when it's literally full of people going "herp derp what does this button do"

Polito45 wrote:Just read the marketing page. It's a load of wank. I don't want any more reminders or notifications thanks.

Yeah the marketing is pretty wanky, but people trying to put a fresh spin on something we've had forever shall always sound like simpering bellends that make you think "yeah so what?" Notifications are already pervasive and all decent existing forum software already have them. Just like existing solutions you can turn off email notifications too, because if you're a regular lurker then you don't need email alerts anyway.

RB wrote:It's like waiting for friends in a strange pub full of lots of groups talking about different things. It very hard to find a thread let alone follow it. It's like reading a twitter timeline full of replies that don't quote the original tweet.

Surely the same can be said about any forum you're unfamiliar with though? I agree that the front page is pretty noisy compared to the typical approach of filtering by section, perhaps having the category page as a default for not signed in users, and the unread page as default for signed in users might be a better touch. I like how you have an unread page that shows all categories, that's a lot more efficient that having to open up every board to find the new posts in each. I think the replying problem comes down to how people are using it - they're clicking reply to the thread instead of quoting people (see the collapsed "in reply to" here. If people that then I think it becomes a fair bit easier to follow.

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

Any attempt at pushing things forward is good, even if it is in fact a pile of toss. At least then we have a starting point and a set of things to avoid.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:17 am

In theory, I can see what they're trying to achieve and it's commendable. It's trying to cross forums with social media, as far as I can see.

In reality, it's a mess. There's no logical progression, there's no easy way to browse or search, and everything is very haphazard. Forums work for the very reason that they do have a very specific structure, and it's a good one. Changing that is like altering an encyclopedia so that you have related items together and not actually in alphabetical order. Great in theory, but it would be completely impractical to use.

If this takes off, I'll be amazed.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:24 am

To my mind, Branch seems to do a better job but your own mileage may vary - http://branch.com/

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Postby MEGAHYDER » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:25 am

Joe wrote:To my mind, Branch seems to do a better job but your own mileage may vary - http://branch.com/

Maybe if all the text wasn't centred in the middle 6 inches of my 24 inch monitor.

Ward
Tag: ಠ_ಠ

Postby Ward » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Social media is of the Devil and must be stopped.

It's seriously fucking annoying. Almost every page now has unnecessary JS crap just so you can thumb up something and pretend someone, somewhere actually gives a fuck. In reality, you're being used to promote shit to mindless idiots and tracked to see what parts of the internet to saturate with ads next.

I wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact that I can't move for encountering yet another Facebook feature trying to butt its way into my life. Every webpage I load has it. Every smartphone, TV programme, breakfast cereal, roadside advert, soft drink, pub, and infant comes with some social media lesion.

And all of these everyday things are slowly mutating into a vector for social media, rather than discrete entities with a specific purpose: webpages now are frequently filled with meaningless drivel that serves as a mere accessory for the JS code that force feeds you ads and hoovers all your cookies. PCs and phones are becoming nothing more than Facebook dumb terminals and game consoles have had no meaningful hardware or software upgrades for years. Kinect? Fuck off!
Rabid Opera Fanboy

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:01 pm

I agree

Polito45

Postby Polito45 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Me too.

The Internet was cool when it was just me, a Japanese bloke, a Dutch guy and 2 Americans.
Since the great unwashed joined it's been relentlessly sinking, desperately trying find a common denominator .. and sell it something.
How low do you have to go till you get to where all the really thick cunts are?
Actually, social media is great. It's the future and there's no getting away from it. Unfortunately it will be full of self satisfied, desperately wanna be trendy, mindless motherfuckers, small minded bigoted bastards and pushy businesses trying to sell you shit you don't want... just like real life in fact.
Yay! Job done - VR is just like RL at last. :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Return to “The Lounge”