Books, ebooks & audiobooks

Post as you see fit
Polito45
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom wanks yet

Books, ebooks & audiobooks

Postby Polito45 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:59 pm

So I finished Iain M. Banks final book (what he wrote before he died).
The Hydrogen Sonata. I've loved all his sci-fi books, especially the Culture novels.
I've read them all except the last two several times over.
This one I felt was a little weak. The storyline meandered a bit.
There were some nice set pieces and some nice threads running though the story,
but overall it left me feeling a bit - meh.

I was about to start the Enders Game series but in the intro to the first book the author refers to
the influence that Isaac Asimov's Foundation series had on him, so I got that and have started that instead.
I've probably been hearing about the Foundation series for the last 40 years. I guess it's about time I read it. :D

In the intro to the first book in the Foundation series Asimov refers to the influence that
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon had on him but I drew the line at going back that far. :D

Books! :wubs:
I'm guessing this will probably be a Dan free zone. :roll:

:mrgreen:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." — Aristotle

Mr.Clark

Re: Books, ebooks & audiobooks

Postby Mr.Clark » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:03 pm

I've been meaning to read the Decline and Fall for a while now. I've just started... um... acquiring, the audiobook. I love reading as much as the next guy, but when I spend over two hours a day driving, audiobooks are a must.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:13 am

When do you guys get time to read all this stuff??!!

I like reading, but I just cannot find the time these days. Hell, I've got magazines piled up that I've yet to read.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Savara

Postby Savara » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:11 am

Polito - if you like Banks' Scifi, you should read Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

Polito45

Postby Polito45 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:00 pm

I read Hyperion a few years ago. I have that and Ilium in my real world library. ;)

Since I got the Kindle I've been "acquiring" (as Mr.Clark so delicately puts it. :D ) collections of old books.
Mostly Sci-Fi so far. I was a big fan of Robert A. Heinlein's books when I starting reading as a kid.
I'm putting together a collection of Philip K. Dick's books. It's amazing how many have been made into films at this stage.

Ekona wrote:When do you guys get time to read all this stuff??!!

I usually read for at least an hour in bed before I sleep.
Just get the sex thing over quickly and get into a good book.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." — Aristotle

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Postby MEGAHYDER » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:22 am

I just read Graham Greene's Power and the Glory. It was pretty good. I tend to stick to 'classics' because generally they're not a classic unless they are any good.

However, they tend to be more interesting rather than captivating and sometimes I yearn for something I can get sucked into. On my girlfriends suggestion I am currently reading Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. I read her famous novel 'A Handmaids Tale' a few years ago and really enjoyed it and I'm enjoying this book too for the most part. They are both Sci-Fi but rather near future and focus on one persons experiences over a short period of time. Not really big world building novels.

I have lot's of time to read right now as I'm sitting on a Rig in the North Sea waiting for weather to clear up. But normally at home I get a short while before I go to sleep.

Polito45

Postby Polito45 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:36 am

Did you bring an ebook reader with you or is there a library on board?

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Postby MEGAHYDER » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:38 am

Brought one real book and use my phone/laptop for eBooks

Polito45

Postby Polito45 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:47 am

I've heard of Margaret Atwood but I don't think I've ever read anything by her.
I have a ton of books lined up to read but I'll add her to my list when browsing for new stuff.
I was thinking of checking out the movie but it gets a fairly shite review. :|

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:57 am

I like reading, but I just cannot find the time these days. Hell, I've got magazines piled up that I've yet to read.

This!

I tend to only find i'm able to chat up with magazines is when i'm on the crapper!

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:19 am

Polito45 wrote:

I usually read for at least an hour in bed before I sleep.

Pre-sleep reading is where it's at. I got back into the habit about a year ago, and it's amazing how much quicker I fall asleep if I read for 30 minutes or so before turning out the light.

On the recommendation of a friend I recently read The Wool Trilogy, and I'd highly recommend it. It's one of those post-apocalyptic sci-fi type series, with a slow reveal of the mysteries of the world the protagonists live in (with plenty of twists and turns). I was really impressed at the level of technical thought the author had put into the world, and the fact he'd managed to get this detail in without turning it into a Tom Clancy-esque book of technical specifications. Really fast-paced.

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:44 pm

I got a shed load of eBooks off a customer (for my day job) quite a while ago, including Iain M Banks' stuff. Is there a list of the order these should be read?

I'm currently working my way through the entire Destroyer series of short stories (by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir). Currently at book 114. :)
Next up is Wilbur Smith's latest novel - Desert God. After that I might start on Banks' stuff.

Polito45

Postby Polito45 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:19 pm

Tinlad wrote:...it's amazing how much quicker I fall asleep if I read for 30 minutes or so before turning out the light.

This! ;)

Tinlad wrote:...I recently read The Wool Trilogy, and I'd highly recommend it. It's one of those post-apocalyptic sci-fi type series...

I'll check it out. I'm a post apocalyptic scenario fanboy.

siteguru wrote:Is there a list of the order these [Iain M Banks' books] should be read?

Yes!

1. Consider Phlebas [The first Culture book. Excellent read. Horza! :wubs: ]
2. The Player of Games [Culture. Amazing inventiveness.]
3. Use of Weapons
4. The State of the Art [Short stories.]
5. Against A Dark Background [Great story.]
6. Feersum Endjinn [Funny, great imagination.]
7. Excession [Culture. Great story.]
8. Inversions [Not really a Culture book... or is it? Brilliantly told story.]
9. Look to Windward [Culture]
10. The Algebraist
11. Matter
12. Surface Detail
13. The Hydrogen Sonata [Culture.]

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Looking in my eBook library I have got 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12. 4, 5, 6 and 13 aren't in there.

However I also have:

The Crow Road
The Wasp factory
Transition

My eBooks folder is 4.75GB and consists of 4858 MOBI files. If anyone's looking for a specific book give me a shout and I'll get them uploaded somewhere.

Polito45

Postby Polito45 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:49 pm

I wouldn't worry about:
4 - The State of the Art [Short stories.]. There's only one short story in it that I liked a lot. His Culture books are self contained stories anyway.
5 - Against A Dark Background. I would try to get. You don't need to read that one in sequence with the rest as it's not really a Culture novel, but it's a great story and has some very well written characters.
6 - Feersum Endjinn. Also not Culture. A good read tho'.
13 - The Hydrogen Sonata is the last Culture book he wrote before he died last year.

The Crow Road, The Wasp factory & Transition are regular fiction he wrote under the name Iain Banks (without the "M").
The Wasp factory was the first book he ever wrote and was the one that brought him to world wide attention.
I read it at the time, can't remember much about it now. I wasn't a great fan of his regular fiction, although I think I've read most of them.

siteguru wrote:My eBooks folder is 4.75GB and consists of 4858 MOBI files. If anyone's looking for a specific book give me a shout and I'll get them uploaded somewhere.

I am also in the process of collating an impressive collection of MOBI files. :mrgreen:
Maybe we could fire up a Dropbox account or something if the need arises.

Return to “The Lounge”