Purchases

Post as you see fit
Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Purchases

Postby Ekona » Wed May 03, 2017 8:06 am

Cheap crappy adjustables aren't worth a cup of cold piss, this is why I always and only buy Bahcos.

Which size do you reckon you'll use more of? I can't justify buying both until I've tried one, and I normally use my 8" Bahcos every day (mainly because I don't have any 10" ones!) but I'm wondering if I should add the 250 as an addition or get the 180 to replace.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed May 03, 2017 11:27 am

Ekona wrote:I need to stop buying guitar stuff.

In the last month or so I've bought an LTD Snakebyte, a cheapy BC Rich Warlock bronze, and a Victory V30 amp with V212VV cab. Now I'm looking for Les Pauls as well...!

NICE

My old Warlock is still chugging along but I'm itching for something new. Maybe one of the Ibanez Iron Label models..

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed May 03, 2017 11:49 am

Ooh, they're nice, I like the RGA series especially. But then I'd probably go for the RG instead, just for the classic 61/80 combo.

I was massively after a purple Ibanez of some kind before I bought the Snakebyte, but I couldn't resist the tone of the LTD. The HetSet EMGs in that are just absolute monsters!
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Wed May 03, 2017 2:30 pm

Ekona wrote:Cheap crappy adjustables aren't worth a cup of cold piss, this is why I always and only buy Bahcos.

Which size do you reckon you'll use more of? I can't justify buying both until I've tried one, and I normally use my 8" Bahcos every day (mainly because I don't have any 10" ones!) but I'm wondering if I should add the 250 as an addition or get the 180 to replace.

I'll use the 180mm one more. I guess it'll depend on your daily needs though. Do you use the standard 8" or the wide jaw?

The 180mm one is slightly bigger opening but the wide jaw dwarfs it. I've got the 8"wide and 180mm in my tool pouch now. Seems the perfect combo for my needs.

Few pics of the jaws opened fully:-

Wide jaw

That's a standard under a wide.

A older style standard and wide jaw 6" there too. I've just this second bought the 125mm one to replace them - hardly use the standard one. Believe it or not but that's the oldest one of my set! Looks brand new.
Last edited by kingweed on Wed May 03, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed May 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Mine are widejaw ones, so it looks as though I'd be better off supplementing rather than replacing. Thanks for the pics dude, they're a great help :)

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed May 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Ekona wrote:Ooh, they're nice, I like the RGA series especially. But then I'd probably go for the RG instead, just for the classic 61/80 combo.

I was massively after a purple Ibanez of some kind before I bought the Snakebyte, but I couldn't resist the tone of the LTD. The HetSet EMGs in that are just absolute monsters!

Yep whatever I go for next will have active pickups. The RGIR30BFE in particular has that tasty EMG combo and just looks awesome

RB

Postby RB » Wed May 03, 2017 4:49 pm

I bought one of these...

It's so lovely.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Wed May 03, 2017 5:10 pm

Holy crap that looks awesome.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed May 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Joe wrote:Yep whatever I go for next will have active pickups. The RGIR30BFE in particular has that tasty EMG combo and just looks awesome

I'd never used active pickups before, and although some people complain that EMGs always sound too punchy and muddy I'm convinced it's because they're trying to use the same amp settings as they would with passive ones. If I back off the gain and add a little more mids than I would normally, you get a lovely growling tone but with the highs still very clear at the top end. What amp are you using these days?

Also, that gun looks mint RB. No idea what it is or anything, but it looks like something a Bond baddie would use.

RB

Postby RB » Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 pm

It's a Ruger Precision Rifle. It's designed purely for target shooting and is excellent at it but also it looks like Agent 47 would have one which makes it better.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Joe

Postby Joe » Thu May 04, 2017 10:00 am

Ekona wrote:
Joe wrote:Yep whatever I go for next will have active pickups. The RGIR30BFE in particular has that tasty EMG combo and just looks awesome

I'd never used active pickups before, and although some people complain that EMGs always sound too punchy and muddy I'm convinced it's because they're trying to use the same amp settings as they would with passive ones. If I back off the gain and add a little more mids than I would normally, you get a lovely growling tone but with the highs still very clear at the top end. What amp are you using these days?

I'm using an old Laney TF300. I've also been playing with bringing mids up and gain down, letting the amp take more responsibility for shaping the tone and knocking any pedal settings right back. It's too easy to go for big gain and super-scooped sound but it does leave things sounding a bit vague, even with passive pickups. Also considering this Deizel mod for my old MT2 pedal to improve the dynamic range a bit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3hxvMrbx0c

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Thu May 04, 2017 10:18 am

How odd, I was only watching a bunch of that guy's vids yesterday as I'd never seen him before! Clever guy, presents stuff well and demonstrates it better, I've subbed to him now.

I wouldn't even know where to start with all that circuit board stuff. Can't argue with results though.

Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:23 am

PS4 Pro 1TB + Horizon Zero Dawn + Wipeout Omega Collection

qazimod
Tag: Not gazimod

Postby qazimod » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Ooooh, fancy.

Um, I picked up John Wick 2 last week? Not quite as fancy. Still have a bunch of other things to watch too.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:51 pm

I've got a bunch of stuff on the server still to watch too, need more free time and less work getting in the way. JW2 is definitely on the list, only saw the original for the first time the other month.

Return to “The Lounge”