Postby MrPeg » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:07 pm

Ello, been a while since I dropped in :D

Programmer, dog owner,collecting whiskey, pretty much my update :D

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Trivia

Postby Ekona » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Whiskey or whisky?
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:45 am

Depends on where it's from. ;)

Whisky = Scottish
Whiskey = Irish

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 am

Exactly why I asked, whiskey is a pretty specific thing to collect whereas whisky is far more common.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:33 am

Whisky is world wide stuff, whiskey is only Irish stuff.

Scotch whisky is the damage though, you do get good world wide whiskys too to be fair.

Single malt is the dogs bollocks. Generally speaking that is specific to scotland. Things like Lagavullin, Cardhu, Macallan Gold etc are all excellent single malts that'll cost less than £50.

Blended stuff like Johnnie walker (the best selling stuff around) is quite good if you want to start drinking but start at black, red isn't very good.

Blended malt or organic stuff is worth even trying.

---

Talking of drinking, i'm doing 500 different types of beers this year.

Got off to a slow start if you will and generally speaking i've just had generic beer thus far.

Joined beer hawks, beer club and am going to get 15 different beers sent every month - which isn't nearly enough as i'll need to avg about 10 a week. So i purchased an additional 4 crates to keep me going this month. There are a few craft beer places which i'll try during the weekend. To get the numbers up as well and will be able to try all the beers in my local as well!

Think it's going to be difficult but good fun!

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:27 am

Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:05 pm

kingweed wrote:Whisky is world wide stuff, whiskey is only Irish stuff.

Scotch whisky is the damage though, you do get good world wide whiskys too to be fair.

If you're talking Scotch I'm a big fan of Caol Ila and Laphroaig. Japanese is where it's at though, Nikka from the Barrel being my all-time favourite.

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Joe wrote:
kingweed wrote:Whisky is world wide stuff, whiskey is only Irish stuff.

If you're talking Scotch I'm a big fan of Caol Ila and Laphroaig. Japanese is where it's at though, Nikka from the Barrel being my all-time favourite.

Nice. I've had both.

I've added it to my basket on https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/b/35/ ... ese-whisky :)

doogle
Tag: Likes squeezy cheesy cobs.

Postby doogle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Today I have fixed my avatar :D
A couple of weeks ago I also fixed my random images in my signature :)

Oh, and I have a new job. Not started it yet, nor do I have a start date just yet, but it is a complete career change. Going from desktop tech support to web and database design and programming within the college :D
It's only on a secondment as I don't actually know the languages and stuff they use yet, (ASP.net, C#, MVC and SQL) but I've got lots of training stuff to look at too :)
If it works out, I'll be much better off financially. If not, I just come back to my current job, which I enjoy anyway, so win-win :D

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Result, congrats dude! :D

doogle
Tag: Likes squeezy cheesy cobs.

Postby doogle » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Yay! Starting my new job on Monday 6th March :D
Was sad saying goodbye to my old team mates, most of whom I'll still be able to see since I'm not leaving the company, just changing sites, but we also had another technician leave to go work at De Montford University.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:15 pm

And I'm finally moving off the service desk into some sort of project delivery role in two months when I get out of private medicine and into the wide world of engineering.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Fri May 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Mr.Clark wrote:And I'm finally moving off the service desk into some sort of project delivery role in two months when I get out of private medicine and into the wide world of engineering.
Fantastic!

My new boss got told he needed to hire some new people for project work. Enter me.

Turns out, the actual amount of project work that IT need to do is... not massive. So I get to become a new member of the Infrastructure team most of the time.

Still learning where things are and what they're called, but my new job seems to be exactly what I wanted. A bit of servers (mostly blades, by the looks of things), some SAN, some email admin, routers, firewalls... a bit of everything really, but not shackled to the Service Desk and the telephone.

In my previous company, I kept getting told "you can't do that, you're not on the right team". On this one, it's "sure, get involved", even for the Service Desk folks. The only expectation is that if you fuck up, you man up and admit it pronto so it can get fixed and you can learn what you did wrong.

I'm so happy right now. Can't wait until I finish my probation and have actually learned a chunk of their stuff so I can get properly involved.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sat May 06, 2017 4:11 am

That sounds perilously close to actually being a decent job, which are pretty rare on the ground these days. Well done fella, pleased for you :)

Return to “The Lounge”