THE ULTIMATE CAR THREAD

Post as you see fit
Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: THE ULTIMATE CAR THREAD

Postby Ekona » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:54 pm

I think it could compete easy at mid-forties, but only if it has every single option available as standard. If you need to start adding heated seats, sat nav etc then it'll come unstuck.

Part of me hopes they fail and the inside is cheap and nasty and nobody wants one, as then they'll depreciate like a mofo and be a cheap car to pickup in a few years :D
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Sam
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Sam » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:19 pm

LS500 has been announced

No v8 though...

Things that made the 400/430 etc so reliable was the N/A v8, none of this twin turbo pish.
:-)

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Modern Lexuseses are utterly hideous. It's like they just wouldn't put the pencil and set square down.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:54 am

The more I think about it, the better off Kia would've been if they'd make a sub-section of their brand just for this. Badge it up as Stinger or SGT or whatever, just don't leave any Kia badges on the damn thing at all.

Much like Vauxhall did with the VX. The griffin was fine, but the word Vauxhall not.

Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:49 pm

I think it's a little different if you're an everyman brand taking a shot on a risky sports concept (like Peugeot and the RCZ), as that's an opportunity to elevate your brand. Sub-brands are better suited to differentiating a line of sporting versions of existing models, like Peugeot/DS and Vauxhall/VX, otherwise there's a risk you're going to undermine your core brand.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:07 pm

I've read that three times and I still have no idea if you're agreeing with me or not :oops: :lol:

Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm saying that Kia needs people to know that the Stinger is a Kia. They don't have enough sporting models to justify a sub-brand, and kicking one off just for the Stinger would make it look like they're ashamed of their own badge.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Worked for Vauxhall :lol:

I guess it's swings and roundabouts, people may not want it because it's a 'cheap and nasty Korean thing', but then if they didn't badge it up and it was good then they'd lose the chance at furthering their brand name. I just hope it is good, and not a wallowy turd. Hopefully the aftermarket will support it as well.

In non-Kia news, I'm taking my car to Center Gravity this week, the same place that did my fancy geo for the 911. Going for a proper chassis tune, so ride heights/corner weighting/geo etc. Hopefully they can cure me of the understeer and lack of trust I have in the front end right now. £600 mind...

Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:24 pm

Ekona wrote:Worked for Vauxhall :lol:

Not to nit-pick ( :P ) but GM already had Opel OPC set up back in '97 developing performance models, so when they launched the UK equivalent Vauxhall VXR brand in '04 they already had the Speedster (thanks to Lotus) and Monaro (thanks to Holden) to carry the new name (which itself came from Vauxhall VX Motorsport), followed by the Astra, Zafira, Vectra, Corsa, Insignia and Meriva.

Kia aren't even in remotely the same position to launch a sports brand yet. The Stinger is unquestionably positioned as the brand's halo model and it might, in time, do great things for them - maybe increasing visibility in motorsports and/or justifying the development of performance derivatives of its other mainstream models - but not yet.

Ekona wrote:people may not want it because it's a 'cheap and nasty Korean thing'

Maybe, but having won ICotY every year since 2013 they're definitely increasing brand awareness and shaking off that reputation. I mean, if Škoda can manage it..

Ekona wrote:In non-Kia news, I'm taking my car to Center Gravity this week, the same place that did my fancy geo for the 911. Going for a proper chassis tune, so ride heights/corner weighting/geo etc. Hopefully they can cure me of the understeer and lack of trust I have in the front end right now. £600 mind...

Sounds like a small price to pay for getting chassis confidence! I still haven't had a ride yet :cry:

RB

Postby RB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:24 pm

I'd happily buy a Kia. I don't care about names. If it's well built and suits my needs, I'll have it. I almost bought a Dacia Duster.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:33 pm

I'd buy one too, but only as a shed. I wouldn't dream of buying one as my main car.

Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:33 pm

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm

£38K for just 280bhp from a blown four pot? Nope. £1500 more gets you the infinitely better to drive (probably) 340i with another 45bhp and more importantly a six cylinder engine.

Oh, and still no manual. As vaguely pretty as it looks, I just couldn't put my money there.

Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Running costs and road tax significantly higher for the 340i, plus wanker tax because BMW.

Nice.

Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Also I still want an RX8 for dicking around in. I know it's a mistake but I can feel myself about to do it.

Return to “The Lounge”