THE ULTIMATE CAR THREAD

Post as you see fit
RB

Re: THE ULTIMATE CAR THREAD

Postby RB » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:46 pm

I shit all over an RX8 at the lights last week. He clearly wanted a race but must have mistaken my car for the wimpy 2L instead of the 340 brake 3L.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:30 am

An easy mistake to make, given that they all look the same. Was he impressed by your bowel movement?

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:00 pm

I'd still like an RX8 I think, great little cars. Really good fun too if they're stripped down.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

RB

Postby RB » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:40 pm

Joe wrote:An easy mistake to make, given that they all look the same. Was he impressed by your bowel movement?

They don't though, more exhausts and bigger wheels. That's why I won't tangle with the 4 exhaust 5L v8 ones.

He seemed fucked off and embarrassed.

Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:05 am

Traffic light races are pretty embarrassing

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:19 pm

I enjoy them in my truck, much less so in the BMW :lol:

Also, my BMW is now paid off, which means I can start looking for the next car...
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:04 pm

I remember my Dad having a TL race once ... him in his old Fiesta 950 Pop! :mrgreen:

(He beat the other guy away from the lights and was ahead for about 20 yards - after that the Pop ran out of puff and the 2L whatever-mobile came past). :)

RB

Postby RB » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:25 pm

TL races are much more fun in an auto because you can't miss a gear and look like a mong.
I remember having one as a teen in a Scirrocco where I somehow went from first to fourth. I can still see that bloke making a wanker sign as he sped off.

Captain Sisko
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Captain Sisko » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:29 pm

TL sprints can be fun
My Fiesta sprints off the line But when on the motorway gets overtaken again ;)

Sam

Postby Sam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:22 am

My LS400 broke

So I got another, but it's not all bad news, it was a swap with a CatD (bumper knocked off) and the v8 from my broken one is going into a Firenza "Bertha".

Onto a 2nd generation LS400 now, much better.

Gated shifter is a fucking pain in the ass in an Auto though, just let me move it forward and back fuck sake.
:-)

Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:19 pm

GM has sold its European business to Peugeot and BNP Paribas. It's failed to make money for the last 20 years, so now Peugeot is taking over Opel and Vauxhall to have a go.

Bit of Brexit fear in there and some questions about job losses too.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:52 pm

I have no idea why Peugeot would even want to touch that brand, unless there's some tech behind the scenes they're after (the 4x4 stuff maybe?). Then again, I'd personally never consider buying a Pug or VX shopping trolley car right now, so if it fucks up both brands I'm not too fussed.

The people side of it isn't good though, definitely going to be some left by the wayside for sure. :(

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:19 pm

I like insignias tbh
:-)

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Nearly two years exactly after her first track day, I final got a chance to take the Bummer back out and this is the first time she's been tracked since I started the upgrade program. Snetterton 300 was the destination, never been there before either so a baptism of fire all round :)

Nice and dry all day, temps in double figures, couldn't really ask for better conditions. The track layout is reasonably easy to learn and get to grips with, and there aren't any really odd corners that need you to take a bizarre line or anything like that. As long as you remember that every single corner here is a very late apex, you can't go wrong.

So how was the car? Both superb and useless, in equal measures :lol: I spent the first couple of sessions with the dampers in road settings to get used to the track, however these proved to be way too soft still so I bumped them up by a further 5 clicks all round (now sitting at 5 from stiff at the front and 10 from stiff at the rear). This transformed the handling, and meant I had far more confidence to really lean on the car. At 1642kg full it's not really something you can throw in, and I had to massively adjust my driving style to suit as it simply won't pivot very quickly on the apex. It means you can't really chuck the car in as I usually do on track, and you must maintain a very smooth driving style to keep the balance and pace up. Actually very rewarding when you get it right, and start a nice flow going.

I also tried a little experiment...

To wing or not to wing, that is the question? Center Gravity suggested that where I located the wing along with the angle of it meant that it might actually be doing something useful after all, so I removed it and tried some hideously unscientific tests. On the Bentley Straight I was losing about 10mph by the braking point due to drag (not really surprising), however it was the corners that fascinated me. Low speed stuff was irrelevant, but the higher speed corners like Riches and Coram were very noticeable: With wing off, turn in was sharper however I was unable to get the power down quite so quickly without unsettling the rear. Wing back on and I got the opposite, turn in was blunted but the grip under power was improved. I mean we're talking fractions here really, and tbh either setting didn't make such a difference that I'd prefer it, so the wing stays on purely for looks.

The biggest issue I had were the brakes. I'm on OEM all round, great on the road but one hard lap and they're toast. Grumbly, fading, squealing, just not good. Coming into Brundle (fnar) I ended up lifting and doing two applications, just to get the car to slow down enough. I'm already looking at discs and pads (looks like I share a brake pad size with the E92 M3 so CL RC5+ should be available, and a disc with the E92 335i so options there too) as going for a full BBK setup is north of £3K, and tbh I don't and won't track the car that much to make it worth while.

Comparing the car to others on the, I was noticeably faster through Hamilton than pretty much everything else barring the Caterhams, and I'd not sure why. I caught a 997.2 GT3 through there and into Oggies at a rapid rate of knots every lap, but he'd then murder me under braking and bugger off. I managed to blag a few pax rides with a race-spec EP3 and a Mountune FRS mk3, and my entry speeds were almost identical to theirs so I was pleased in that respect as both drivers were seriously capable of piloting their machines. We were all on road tyres too (me on MPSS, EP3 on ContiSC5, and the FRS on Neovas) so nothing to distinguish there. This is the first time I've properly tracked the MPSS, and given they're half dead already I was cautious with my use of them as I didn't want to kill them sliding round the hairpins all day. Which, btw, is hilariously easy to do in something as big as the Bummer. No need to fear though, they were absolutely wonderful. Plenty of dry grip, nowhere near as squealing as the Contis, and they wore perfectly evenly all over which shows what a great job CG did on the alignment for me. I still want a set of semi slicks for the car, but no-one should fear tracking on MPSS at all. The Contis I wouldn't use, as the Civic owner had to stop by 3pm as they'd started to disintegrate with chunks coming off the outer shoulder...! Not good.

All in all, it was a brilliant day and in a brilliant car only hampered by typical BMW brakes. Everything else though came together perfectly, from the suspension settings to the seat being proper comfy AND supportive enough for track use, and being able to finally use the power the car has. Time to book the next one up now, methinks :)

RB

Postby RB » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:23 pm

So many orange.

Return to “The Lounge”