Gary McKinnon

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
gamerfreak
Tag: Spotted Dick = yummy!

Gary McKinnon

Postby gamerfreak » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:33 pm

I searched but found nothing.

I'll start off the discussion with a link to the Wikipedia page. Clicky.

The short of it is thus. Back in 2001/2002, Gary McKinnon hacked into various United States Government computers. It is alleged that he hacked into 97 computers, stole 950 passwords and deleted 1300 accounts. Source. It is being hailed as the "greatest military hack of all time".

The man is facing, at worst, 70 years in prison over in America.

He claims he was just searching for undisclosed documents on UFOs.

My thoughts? I don't know. On the one hand, the guy hacked into computers that are in America. On the other hand, the hack actually took place here in Great Britain. So where does he stand? Well, that's what the appeals are all about.

Me, personally, think that if he does face a jail term, that it should be here in Britain.

What are your thoughts?
Birdshit

Jezreel

Re: Gary McKinnon

Postby Jezreel » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:00 am

He shouldn't be going to jail.

MrPeg
Tag: Special

Postby MrPeg » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:06 am

Flabbergasted is the only word, been following this for a while and it makes me sick we're bending over and taking it.

lordoftheflies
Tag: Occam's Beard

Postby lordoftheflies » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 am

didnt the extent of his 'hacking' basically involve him logging in as senior military members who hadnt changed their password from the default of 'password'?

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 am

From my limited knowledge of this issue, I believe that the US military were highly embarrassed by the ease with which he was able to get into their computers. As such they are blowing this way out of proportion, claiming he gained way more access than he really did, and caused damage that he couldn't do anyway ... i.e. they are making this a show-trial to try and hide their own ineptitude.

PS - I wonder how long this thread will remain (on this US-hosted server) before the FBI/military surreptitiously remove it? :twisted:

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:29 am

siteguru wrote:PS - I wonder how long this thread will remain (on this US-hosted server) before the FBI/military surreptitiously remove it? :twisted:
Now you mention it, some shit has spent the last two days attempting (and failing) to hack in through a webmail exploit. Someone always seems to start fucking around the second I get away from an internet connection...

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:13 pm

Honestly, I've got no sympathy for the bloke at all. If he thought that he would get away with hacking into the computers of the biggest military in the world then he's as stupid as he looks and deserves what he gets. I've no problem with the extradition at all as I'd expect the same to happen in reverse tbh, and whilst 70 years is a tad harsh by our standards let's not forget that the US actually have sensible jail terms for crimes. Life means life over there, just like it should here. That said, I'd be amazed if he got more than 5 years.

If he'd just hacked in, poked around for a bit and then left, then I may have more sympathy for him. As it stands, he's a dick for deleting stuff and the US military have every right to be pissed off, regardless of whether their security was up to scratch or not.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

RB

Postby RB » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:31 pm

The guy has Asperger syndrome which is a form of Autism. The chances are that this affected his judgement. I have friends who have a son with Aspegers and he is genius level smart but will have to live at home or with a carer for his whole life as his judgement and social abilities are fucked. If this guy is affected as badly as my friends' kid then he shouldn't be charged, let alone extradited.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:42 pm

Given that mental illness is a legal defence for crimes, then I would tend to agree with you. However, if that's the case then surely he should be put into care after extradition? Admittedly I'm working that on how our legal system works, I don't actually know if mental illness is a defence in the US, but I'm guessing it is.

If he's got it that bad that he shouldn't be locked up either in jail or in a mental institution, then surely the law will take that into account and let him off? He's only been charged, not had a verdict or sentence passed.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:59 pm

Ekona wrote: I've no problem with the extradition at all as I'd expect the same to happen in reverse tbh
That's half of the problem though. The extradition treaty with the US is ludicrously one-sided.

We give, they take. There's no quid pro quo. Do you really think that if an American script kiddie got caught in Gordon Brown's emails they'd just hand him over to us?

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:06 pm

There are two things that piss me off about this whole saga. Firstly, the one-sidedness of this extradition treaty. We loose the right to hold on to any of our citizens, whilst the US can do whatever the fuck they want. Secondly, the fact that the poor bloke is probably going to be convicted with "anti-terrorist" legislation. Yes, he's a fucking idiot, but he clearly isn't working for al-quieda....

Screamo
Tag: Mass Effected

Postby Screamo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:55 am

If his aspergers is as extreme as RB points out, then his carers or the people responsible for him should be held accountable.

However, there are varying degree's of aspergers and referring to it as a mental illness, in some cases, would be a inaccurate.

Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:18 pm

+1

The degree to which it can affect people varies a lot. Some have a terrible time dealing with real-world social situations and live inside their own little bubble of reclusiveness, while others can make massive progress and end up living entirely "normal" lives with lots of friends, good jobs etc.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Screamo wrote:If his aspergers is as extreme as RB points out, then his carers or the people responsible for him should be held accountable.

However, there are varying degree's of aspergers and referring to it as a mental illness, in some cases, would be a inaccurate.

I didn't think he was diagnosed until after this whole thing kicked off...

tinchick
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby tinchick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:03 pm

I'm interested in the Daily Hail's campaign and see where it gets Mr McKinnon. It appears even MP's are resigning over it all. Is it me or should they have prevented this aggreement/treaty before it caught some socially naive asperger's sufferer in its net?

Return to “Serious Discussion”