Gary McKinnon

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
Mr.Clark

Re: Gary McKinnon

Postby Mr.Clark » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:43 pm

Surely a better question is "is all this fuss just because he's been diagnosed aspergers?"

If I'd "hacked" into a US Govt PC with a blank password, would anyone give a shit about a normal white British male, or would they just throw me to the wolves?

RB

Postby RB » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Wolves.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Sean
Tag: Blah

Postby Sean » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:51 pm

RB wrote:Wolves.

And then the RSPCA would complain because there wasn't enough meat to equally share amongst the wolves causing malnutrition amongst them.

Chuck Steak
Tag: poo

Postby Chuck Steak » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:58 am

I wonder if the US government has bothered increasing the security on their networks? You know by actually setting passwords.

Maybe even buy a firewall or something, really push the boat out.
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:19 pm

Not being extradited now.

He's a lucky, lucky man. Hopefully we'll try him over here and send the bloke to prison anyway.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

RB

Postby RB » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Prison for what though? He didn't steal anything or break anything or give secrets to terrorists. All he did was access a system that had no password. How many people do the same with unsecured Wifi networks.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:42 pm

How sure of that are we? The US claims it was the largest attack they've ever suffered. Even allowing for hyperbole, that doesn't sound like he accessed one or two NASA servers that weren't secured.

Try him, let the courts decide, but our courts decide the fate of our citizen who allegedly committed a crime while in our country. If the Americans have evidence, let them bring it over and present it to a jury of his peers, not a jury of THEIR peers.

Next up, veto the extradition of Richard O'Dwyer.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:56 pm

RB wrote:Prison for what though? He didn't steal anything or break anything or give secrets to terrorists. All he did was access a system that had no password. How many people do the same with unsecured Wifi networks.

Those people usually don't start deleting things though.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

RB

Postby RB » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 pm

I do, I always send CUNT to people's printers. You leave your system open, you deserve what you get.

Savara

Postby Savara » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Under the Computer Misuse Act it is hacking even if he didn't have to enter a password, but srsly? They left the systems completely unsecured? How fucking stupid have you got to be. He should be tried, but obviously in the UK.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:51 pm

He should be tried on the innernet.

bananahead
Tag: Happy when it rains

Postby bananahead » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:04 am

Where was the crime committed? Was it in the UK or the USA?

If I am in the UK and I hire someone to go and kill someone in the USA and they succeed then I have committed a crime. But where?

Isn't the human rights act great.

Maybe the Americans will send a drone.

zark

Postby zark » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:20 am

Ekona wrote:Not being extradited now.

He's a lucky, lucky man.

Yes, yes he is....
The right decision IMHO - but for the wrong reasons... rather than telling the Americans to fuck off, we say you cant have him because he might kill himself.
Hope that doesn't set a precedent... Abu Hamza must be kicking himself he didn't think of the defence.
For most crimes, you need both a guilty mind and a guilty act. (mens area and actus rea) Or - the prior intent to commit that crime... if he is so affected by his aspergers that he couldnt have formed a criminal intent, then he shouldn't be extradited or even tried in he UK. If he is capable of knowingly committing a crime, then he should be tried/extradited as the agreement states and measures put in place to safeguard the risk of self harm...
For some reason, the Home Sec has gone out on a limb on some shaky Human Rights argument... which if it leads to her eventual sacking, I'm all in favour of.... the fucking witch

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:18 am

How many other prisoners across the country are in the high risk catagory for self-harming, or on suicide watch? Judging from this precedent, then they should all be let out too.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:10 pm

Ekona wrote:How many other prisoners across the country are in the high risk catagory for self-harming, or on suicide watch? Judging from this precedent, then they should all be let out too.

No, surely they just shouldn't be extradited to the USA.

Return to “Serious Discussion”