Gary McKinnon

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Gary McKinnon

Postby Ekona » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:22 pm

You know what I mean, though. We don't look (generally) at the US as having a less fair legal system than our own in the same way we do, say, Iran. As such, if we're going to worry about any old person threatening to kill themselves if they get tried then why shouldn't we look closer to home as well?
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:38 pm

True. Sorry, being facetious there.

I think this is an interesting case, because with Abu Hamza, the general consensus was "get this fucker out of the country", but with McKinnon, they were looking for any legal reason not to (given public outcry about the UK being America's bitch, if nothing else).

I guess it should have been easier with Hamza, because he wasn't actually British.

I have to say, as a UK citizen, if I was to do (while in Britain) something the 'Merkins don't like, I'd quite like to be tried here, rather than there. While their legal system may not be "less fair", it is certainly different enough that I'd need a US attorney (because they know the law), but I'd like a British lawyer as well, as I don't know if I could trust the American to be looking out exclusively for my interests rather than the country which I'd mightily embarrassed (see also Richard O'Dwyer).

I think, as well, they people generally understand "do bad things, go to prison", but it's a bit more of a reach to expect them to have "do bad things, go to a prison in a faraway land away from your family and friends, possibly for the next 30+ years". So you can't just claim to be thinking of taking your own life in Parkhurst, but if there's a possibility of ending up in Riker's Island, you might have more of a case.

Savara

Postby Savara » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Yeah, this, especially before actually being prosecuted.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Totally free now, too. Well, apart from the extradition warrant still being valid so he can't leave the country.

Hack away kids, as long as you can get someone to say you've got Aspergers!
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

RB

Postby RB » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:40 pm

Not really justice but the right decision.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Savara

Postby Savara » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Ekona wrote:Hack away kids, as long as you can get someone to say you've got Aspergers!

The punishment being sought was really rather disproportionate though, especially considering that similar hacks in the last couple of years (that have done as much damage, if not as much embarrassment) have been 'rewarded' with only a few thousand pounds in fines and some community service.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:26 pm

We didn't specify a punishment though, did we? I don't think it had even got that far.

Did the US even say what they were seeking? I know the maximum figure of 60 years or whatever it was was mentioned, but then that's like saying you could get 10 years over here for stealing a Mars bar: Technically true, but incredibly improbable.

Savara

Postby Savara » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Sorry, I meant the punishment being sought in the US. Not 100% certain that they stated they were seeking maximum sentence, but that's certainly the impression that was given. I suspect for all the bother they went to to attempt to get him extradited they would definitely have wanted as long a punishment as possible!

Seems a bit daft that in the UK hacking into computers which are abroad (and within the UK obviously) is illegal (Computer Misuse Act 2000 iirc), whereas in the US, hacking into computers abroad isn't illegal, and yet when someone does it to them...

Certainly not denying that he has escaped justice; he should have stood trial in the UK and that be the end of it.

Ward
Tag: ಠ_ಠ

Postby Ward » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:01 am

The biggest idiots here are the US Defence who got hacked by one autistic man who lives with his mum. $683.7 billion budget in 2011? Are you fucking kidding me??

I'd argue he did them a favour.
Rabid Opera Fanboy

Sam
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Sam » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 am

Just shows you. If you ever get lifted for a crime, just claim you're a spastic.
:-)

Return to “Serious Discussion”