Unemployment

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
Gi Me Beer
Tag: French cars, my favourite

Unemployment

Postby Gi Me Beer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:39 pm

I totally fail to understand why there are so many unemployed, and a lot of those state they cannot get work, when so many employees are forced to do overtime.
I would like to see a heavy tax burden placed on companies who require either through contract, or through the we will get rid of you if you don't mentality, their employees to work more than 35 hours a week. I totally accept that this could not happen overnight. This would then get rid of the very stale arguement employers use which goes along the lines of, oh but its cheaper to get our present employees to work longer, than it is to employ more staff.
This really should be the other way round, it should be cheaper to employ more staff.

The benefit to the country would be less unemployed, and hopefully a better life/work balance for those who are employed.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Unemployment

Postby Ekona » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Hmmm, interesting.

Work/life balance is one thing, but atm those who are employed are grabbing as much overtime as they can because they need the money to survive. You may end up with less people unemployed under your method, but you could end up with making people worse off overall. Better for the state, perhaps, but worse for the individual.

Personally I'd like to see no maximum weekly hours at all, let the private sector make up their own mind how they want to run their businesses. All our guys have opted out, not because they were forced to but because they wanted the flexibility to earn some more cash.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Gi Me Beer

Postby Gi Me Beer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Ah yes greed/consumerism. More profit more money more greed, what a vicious cruel cycle.

Sam
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Sam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Not related to overtime, but to unemployment. I live 20 miles of country roads away from the nearest proper town - the only thing between here and there is petrol stations, and small supermarkets - and theres no way in hell I'll apply for an 8 or 12 hour a week tesco/sainsburys part time job just to burn most of it in petrol, and these seem to make up 90% of the jobs online, and I apply for pretty much everything else there is.

Going out of my mind without work.
:-)

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Postby MEGAHYDER » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 pm

No maximum hours where I live. Everyone is unhappy because we work too long. Normal working day is 0730-1730.

Keep maximum working hours.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Gi Me Beer wrote:Ah yes greed/consumerism. More profit more money more greed, what a vicious cruel cycle.

There's a difference between greed and wanting to work hard to make a good life for yourself/family.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Gi Me Beer

Postby Gi Me Beer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:28 pm

Ekona wrote:
Gi Me Beer wrote:Ah yes greed/consumerism. More profit more money more greed, what a vicious cruel cycle.

There's a difference between greed and wanting to work hard to make a good life for yourself/family.

Depends really upon which viewpoint you are looking at it from.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Not really. There's greedy people, and there's people who work hard to make a good living. If someone works 60 hour weeks for 40 years but has £4M in the bank, good luck to them. If someone works 20 hour weeks and makes a 4000% mark up on what they sell, that's greedy.

Also, I want that job.

Gi Me Beer

Postby Gi Me Beer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:55 pm

In your example, ehtrepreneur invents the next must have electrical item, then makes a mark up of 4000%, then the mug employees see this, and think ooh I must have that, so they work longer and longer hours, to earn more to have a comfortable life mmmmmmm.

Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:56 pm

In my line of work unpaid overtime is pretty standard. It's a case of staying until the job is done, because you're part of each project from the start to the finish.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Gi Me Beer wrote:In your example, ehtrepreneur invents the next must have electrical item, then makes a mark up of 4000%, then the mug employees see this, and think ooh I must have that, so they work longer and longer hours, to earn more to have a comfortable life mmmmmmm.

They don't have to work longer hours though, do they? They could get better and better at their job, gaining new skills and enabling them to move up in the company, or move companies or even start their own up. It's called a free market, people are free to do what they want.

Of course, there will always be the witless who can't be bothered to help themselves and they will have to work the longer hours, but that's hard cheese. The rest of us want to do better, and as long as the economic conditions allow that's what we do. Would you be happy sitting on the bottom rung for 40 years, working for The Man whilst going nowhere, or would you want to learn new skills and try to move upwards? I really can't see how anyone could have issue with that, unless they are one of the feckless who want money spoonfed to them instead of working hard for a living.

Gi Me Beer

Postby Gi Me Beer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:08 pm

I don't have any issue about working hard, but you are mixing working hard with working long hours. Don't have to work over time, more and more employers are building contracts of employment which require employees to work longer and longer hours.

Greed is fuelled by grreedy capitalists to keep the workforce working.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Working long hours and working hard tend to go hand in hand though. No point working long hours if you're not contributing.

Any proof on the contracts thing?

And laziness is fuelled by workshy scroungers who want the state to do everything for them. ;)

Gi Me Beer

Postby Gi Me Beer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:22 pm

There are lots of employers doing this, mostly large national employers. As for proof I have plenty, but not that I can share over internet. Compromising employers etc etc.

MrPeg
Tag: Special

Postby MrPeg » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:56 am

I can say there was a cheeky forced overtime going on in the office where I work (thankfully a change of manager got rid of it).

Basically it was the standard 37.5 hour weekly contract with 'optional overtime' minimum 10 hours per 28 days at standard rate. If you opted out of the overtime, the manager would give you a bad review, few bad reviews in a row and you're out on your ear.

Thankfully she had a nervous meltdown and left, now we have a nice lady (sexy to boot) who lets us do however much we want (from nothing to every night and saturdays) with double rate if you do more than 8 hours in a month. :D

Return to “Serious Discussion”