Unemployment

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
Jezreel

Re: Unemployment

Postby Jezreel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 pm

We are salaried and overtime is avoided if at all possible, but contracted in to allow for.
I haven't had to do any that I didn't want to do (i.e. to get some work out of the door that I'd promised or would reflect badly on the company if I didn't) fo ra few years now.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Plus I'm the fucking boss, bitches, I can make them do overtime if I want, tough tits.
LOL

RB

Postby RB » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:16 pm

I do roughly 40 hours overtime per month and get fuck all extra because I'm salaried. I don't have to do it but no fucker else will.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Ward
Tag: ಠ_ಠ

Postby Ward » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:30 pm

+1

I often end up doing a few extra hours a month. Salaried sucks. Because of a big contract, I've held off on using my holidays, then the big contract becomes delayed until early 2013. FFS. I want my summer back.

Also, I think businesses are expecting fully qualified, experience people to work for intern level pay and acting all affronted when what they get is either no-shows or people who put in only the minimal effort and/or show little to no enthusiasm. You pay peanuts...

I'm personally sick and tired of big businesses reaping billions in tax-dodging, laying off thousands and then giving the management huge bonuses a week later. Hardly loyalty inspiring.

We need a way to force these business to pay or get out. I'd rather lose one big business and have 10 smaller ones take over the market.
Rabid Opera Fanboy

MrPeg
Tag: Special

Postby MrPeg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Seen as this thread is entitled Unemployment, thought I'd share my marvellous idea.

All those declared 'fit to work' who spend more than 3 months jobseeking (less if they want) will be given a place in one of the local, government run facilities, which I'll refer to as workhouses from now on.
A workhouse will be a base level factory of sorts. Simple fabrication of commonly used items throughout the country relevant to either supplying the government NHS and council businesses or producing a simple product for sale or export (bottles, doorknobs, in essence half the stuff we get made in china), failing that, smashing rocks or something. Heck, even a transportable labour force of ditch diggers, field tillers or rubbish pickers (imagine how much our scenery would improve if we had over a million people on litter duty)

Minimum wage for all in the workhouse, abolish unemployment benefit leaving only disability/carer funds. Those who show the relevant gumption will be able to take managerial and administration roles, providing much needed experience to get a job in the commercial or private sector.

Whilst a slightly higher cost for wages over the dole fund, the country will likely benefit from an increase in internally created products, decreasing the need for imports and hopefully produce a profitable source of exports.

Ward

Postby Ward » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:09 pm

But.. but... where would the big businesses get their cheap, disposable labour then?? Everyone would rather work for the government than run around trying to hold down 3 part-time shitty jobs. It'd force business to actually pay decent money, offer enough hours to make it worthwhile and..and.. oh the poor shareholders! Can they possibly lose %15-20 yearly?

Seriously, it's a sound idea. I've even thought of a government run supermarket which sells only the cheapest, plain label stuff, no luxuries such as sweets, alcohol or cigarettes. No brands - just the basics - like WWII era style food. Added bonus: farmers can sell their produce at a guaranteed minimum price to these GovMarts. People on benefits, homeless people can exchange vouchers for food/products. And being run by the government, it's essentially tax-free.

The aim is to dilute the power of the supermarkets and force them to seriously lower prices without compromising quality and to provide the poor with a source of good food which actively excludes the sugar/fat/salt saturated budget offerings from the supermarkets.

One might almost think they want the underclass to eat crap, die early and avoid collecting pension.
Rabid Opera Fanboy

Polito45
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom wanks yet

Postby Polito45 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Hmmm... We already tried Laissez-faire politics, it was shite.
If you look through historic records you will see how hard life was for ordinary people.
If you follow your ancestry, in all likely hood you will find that your ancestors were ordinary people.

They lived short desperate lives. Many of their children died young. They had no employment security.
Life really was a bitch and then you died young.

Do you really want to return to that kind of a soul-less existence?
Don't forget, you might be getting along ok but what kind of a world do you want for your kids?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." — Aristotle

Ward

Postby Ward » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Laissez-faire politics is what we have now, except rather than the government letting the businesses do what they want without taxation or interference, the businesses use the arcane tax regulations to avoid tax altogether and employ lobbyists to control the government.

The effect is the same. The miserable existence is only held at bay by the simple fact that poor people can't buy stuff. But they don't have to be given decent wages - just enough to stop the grumbles from turning into riots.
Rabid Opera Fanboy

Polito45

Postby Polito45 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:34 am

I agree. We have seen a slow return to Laissez-faire politics over the last 20 years and in my opinion it's total bollocks.
It leads to a "unequal" society. The very basic, ugly truth is that in an unequal society you might be fine and feel safe behind a gated estate
but what happens when your 13 or 14 year old child goes into town and some "scumbag" knifes him/her for her runners/watch/phone?

I'm fine. I'm fairly financially secure, but I'm in my 50s. I'm talking about the kind of society that we leave behind us.
And I despair when I hear the same old bollocks about rubbing the noses of people who haven't done well in the shit like
that will somehow make the world a better fucking place... bollocks!

What's good enough for my child has to be good enough for your child no matter what their background/colour/race/religion etc.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." — Aristotle

bananahead
Tag: Happy when it rains

Postby bananahead » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:50 pm

You know that National Insurance that you and your employer pay each month. Well why the fuck isn't it actually insurance?

As most of you know I live and work in Switzerland. I pay something like 5% of my salary as unemployment insurance to the government.

If you become unemployed here you claim against the insurance. It pays 70% (80% if you have kids) of your salary up to 125 000 ChF for 18 months. That is about £58000 each year at current exchange rates. There is no means testing or other allowances or any other bullshit. It's not great but it does stop life collapsing.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Too sensible for this country. Plus, too many scrounging fuckbags would find a way to abuse the system.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:33 pm

We have a better welfare state than Switzerland. Less suicide too.

Polito45

Postby Polito45 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 am

Jezreel wrote:[Britain has] ... less suicide... [Than Switzerland]

That's because the Swiss Government lets lots of people take guns home to keep as pets,
which is never a good idea because as soon as somebody shits in your handbag
you're going to run home and shoot yourself in the face.

Britain has more than twice the unemployment rate of Switzerland.
If more people were allowed to keep guns at home you would probably see suicide rates soar.

Ward

Postby Ward » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:47 am

Fun fact: tax evasion/dodging costs far more than benefit cheats but which issue had a massive PR campaign a few years back?
Rabid Opera Fanboy

RB

Postby RB » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:15 am

I have dozens of guns and I never shot myself or even considered it.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Return to “Serious Discussion”