Genealogy

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
Polito45
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom wanks yet

Genealogy

Postby Polito45 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:20 am

Any of you dickheads into this?
I've just found a protestant in the family! :shock: The first one in over 18 years of research.
Well, I mean there are a few now and we even talk to them and stuff,
but back in Ireland in 1899 it would have been like marrying into a family of devil worshipers. :D

Turns out my grandfather's sister married the son of a Church of Ireland sexton
(apparently this doesn't mean he was a child molester, they were all on our side).

On the census return for 1901 this Church of Ireland sexton wrote beside his wife's name - "Not of Sound Mind" Hahahaha :lol:

Anyway, anyone have an interest or has done this?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." — Aristotle

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Re: Genealogy

Postby MEGAHYDER » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:05 am

My dad likes to trundle out a family tree that shows we're related to the Prophet Mohammed. And it's not bunkum. It's generally known in the Islamic world what family names are 'Sayyid'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayyid#Sayyids_in_Iraq

I'm an Al Hassani

Helios

Postby Helios » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:32 am

Here I was thinking that Muhammad had no descendants.
You crazy Shia. :)

MEGAHYDER

Postby MEGAHYDER » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:08 am

But like he had children who had children etc... so how can he not have descendants?

RB

Postby RB » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 am

We all have a common ancestor if you go back far enough. I don't mean any mythical ones either.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Sam
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Sam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:25 pm

But how can you be a descendant of someone who didn't exist?

Anyway, my gran is into all this stuff. She has our tree going back into the early 1800s, and that was done without internetz. Also Polito theres a 1911 census of Ireland online too.

It's cool to see all our ancestors being protestant before it was acceptable. I spent a while looking through them before, finding my great-grandparents, their family etc. Its sometimes hard to do as you're not sure when they were born off the top of your head, so you kind of have to guess their age in relation to the census.
:-)

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Sam wrote:But how can you be a descendant of someone who didn't exist?

I'm not sure there's much doubt that Muhammad existed. It's that he was a god-sent prophet that's questionable (see also: Jesus).

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:52 pm

But chances are he'd be the descendant of at least someone called Muhammad anyway...

I joke. I see what you mean now.

MEGAHYDER

Postby MEGAHYDER » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Tinlad wrote:
Sam wrote:But how can you be a descendant of someone who didn't exist?

I'm not sure there's much doubt that Muhammad existed. It's that he was a god-sent prophet that's questionable (see also: Jesus).

This

Polito45

Postby Polito45 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:21 pm

MEGAHYDER wrote:I'm an Al Hassani

"Hassani is an Arabic, Irish or Hebrew surname." Irish? it is? WTF!?

"The surname Hassan in Ireland is one of the anglicized forms of Ó hOsáin. It is to be distinguished from Ó hOisín and Ó hOiseáin (see Hession and Hishon). In County Londonderry, where it is numerous, it is spelt Hassan, Hassen, Hasson, Hassin and Hessin. In the Monaghan Hearth Money Rolls of 1663 it appears as O'Hassan. There was a Hasson of Wexford among the "principal gentlemen" of that county in 1598, but that family was no doubt of non-Gaelic stock and a John Hassan was an influential merchant in Wexford fifty years earlier."

... I'm having a Twilight Zone moment.

It's a small world.
Wexford is where I found my illustrious protestant ancestor who was happy to tell the world that his wife was a mental. His name was Isaac. Not a name that runs in my family. What is going on here?

So Sam, are you a descendant of the Protestant Mohammed? :D
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." — Aristotle

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I could well be!

Also, shouldn't you be calling it Derry?

Spoiler/NSFW: (click to reveal/hide)
Just kidding. It's not sectarianism, it's religious banter

I am the descendant of many Samuels. It's just the way around these parts. Son named after his father, goes off to the fishing/building/plastering etc with his father. Also makes it god-damn annoying though as theres only about 5 surnames in the town.

We found out our grandfather had an illegitimate lovechild with a catholic woman, who got adopted. Nobody had ever seen proof about it, she was just like "yeah he's my dad"

bitch got all the money in the will

Polito45

Postby Polito45 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Sam wrote:... shouldn't you be calling it Derry?

Just kidding. It's not sectarianism, it's religious banter

I don't really care what we call it. They could call it Mogadishuderry, I don't really give a fuck. :D
And I do enjoy the religious banter. The guys at work are prods so I'll get a kick out of telling them I've found out how the levels of insanity in my family entered through the back door with a loopy protestant woman. :lol:

Sam wrote:I am the descendant of many Samuels. It's just the way around these parts. Son named after his father, goes off to the fishing/building/plastering etc with his father. Also makes it god-damn annoying though as theres only about 5 surnames in the town.

My bother was great friends with a guy called Sam from Belfast for many years (I'm guessing it's a common name up there). They met working away when they were quite young and stayed friends for over 40 years. My brother was P. O'Neill. No, not THAT P. O'Neill... a P.O'Neill. I wonder if Sam's neighbours ran when they saw a letter from P. O'Neill. :shock: :? :D

I met Sam's mother once... she scared the shit out of me. Old school Belfast Protestant woman.
We were left on our own in Sam's sitting room and she asked me "What's your name?"
I said "Paul". She said "Paul what?" - I shat a brick.
"Paul O'Neill" ... there was a long pause and then she said ... "That's a good name." :D

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:26 pm

My Dad's into all this, he loves it. Doesn't really have the same impact with me though as I'm adopted, 'cos while my immediate family will always be my family, anything further back is just strangers who I don't even share blood with.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

MEGAHYDER

Postby MEGAHYDER » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:31 pm

I didn't know you were adopted

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Is Bean adopted too?

Return to “Serious Discussion”