Independence

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Independence

Postby Ekona » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Nothing we can do about that though, that ship has sailed. I'm still hopeful we can come put of it with a deal that will work for the vast majority of the UK, although I accept that the farmers are going to be hit pretty hard due to the subsidies they get from the EU: No way can I see us being able to afford to replace that. Fisheries should be better though, as we'll have full control of our quotas again. Not that one will offset the other, just looking for the positives.

With a bit of luck we'll see corp tax come down again too, to try and encourage the big businesses to stay/move here. That could be exceptionally positive for everyone. :)
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Except the services that depend on those taxes. More austerity anyone?

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Nope, because more businesses means more employment means more PAYE and more VAT due to more wages. That's what a lot of people forget I think, is that low corp tax is a good thing for stimulating growth and certainly better than borrowing more money. If I pay less CT then I can pay my staff more more, which means they pay more direct tax via PAYE and spend more so pay more VAT. The trick is to get the balancing act right, as you don't want CT to be too low that the PAYE & VAT returns don't make up for the shortfall, but neither do you want it too high that it just stifles growth.

It was like when they ditched the 50% top level of tax and returns actually went up, simply because the uber rich stopped funnelling their money out of the country. High taxes do not always equal high returns.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:04 pm

So... everyone still optimistic about Brexit and how it's going to leave us better off?

RB

Postby RB » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Yep.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Pretty much.

I'd just wish it was a quicker process and it was already done.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:17 pm

Cool. I'll check back just before the 2 years run out, see if everyone's still happy.

RB

Postby RB » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:23 pm

I will be. Getting away from non democratic rule by deluded, power obsessed lunatics will be worth any unpleasantness. It's looking more likely that the EU will crumble before we fully leave anyway.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:13 pm

It’s going to be a cluster fuck. We’ll end up with the same relationship with the EU as we had before but paying more for the privilege, and because the Tories seem incapable of actually making the process seem anything other than a big argument we’re going to end up with Jezza implementing the deal/no deal.

I’m sure the UK will be fine and better off in the long term, but the next 5-10 years are going to be very hard. If you thought the credit crunch and austerity was bad, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

wooster

Postby wooster » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Remember me? :yaar:

Anyhoo, some Tech prices are already going through the roof because of the fucked £ and with this bunch of Gobshites doing pretty much fuck all constructive, we can expect to be paying another 20% on top of whatever the prices will be the day before it.
An equivalent 2in1 Ultrabook that cost me £800 four years ago is coming in at over £1000 today and I could probably double that for a reasonable upgrade, that's not much, but scale that up to large enterprise upgrades and the price hikes are eyewatering.
(I'm already running into jobs where the hardware has been bought before the clients even know their exact requirements, because every week of delay could cost them £1000's)

imho, there are three broad types of people who voted for Brexit: The wealthy, the almost dead and the ignorant poor. :)

The first two groups don't care if we're fucked back to the early 70's (the almost dead will probably welcome it...until they discover their nursing home is staffed by YOPers), but the poor are probably fucked.

wooster

Postby wooster » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Tefal have even resorted to selling us camping pots as cookware.
No pricey metals like copper or steel and only a single handle, like the old Trangia aluminium pots and kettles.

Hooray for poverty!
You might be on the streets, but your cookware will still be functional, if you don't drink the Methylated Spirit fuel first. :/

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 pm

RB wrote:I will be. Getting away from non democratic rule by deluded, power obsessed lunatics will be worth any unpleasantness. It's looking more likely that the EU will crumble before we fully leave anyway.

Looking at the moment a lot like "out of the EU" is going to look awfully like "in the EU" but with less of a voice when it comes to policy decisions.

Return to “Serious Discussion”