Postby Joe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:42 am

Here we go then..

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: EU - In or Out?

Postby Ekona » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Yay, full steam ahead now! :D

Let's see what we get, shall we?
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:53 pm

It's all posturing at this stage though, on both sides. May saying it'll be sorted, Tusk saying nowt happens until we leave, the reality will sit somewhere in between.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

RB

Postby RB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:35 pm

So far so good. After initial dips, the pound climbed and is forecast to continue upwards and the FTSE is back up into highest ever territory, even the 250 which is the best measure of the UK economy.
All the predictions of economic armageddon have been absolutely wrong.

Our little island and the bit we stole from the Irish is an absolute powerhouse. Second fastest growing economy in the world even after the referendum and even without Scottish oil.

We start this from a very strong position whereas probably one in four EU countries are bankrupt and the central bank is out of bailout money.
I know we won't get everything our way but I seriously doubt we'll do badly.

I think the big areas such as trade, security, the rights of citizens in other countries and the movement of workers in the future will be done fairly swiftly because they have to be.

It's the little things that will take ages such ensuring traded goods still meet regulations when ours can now differ from the EU. I think it's unlikely that the EU will impose trade tariffs as we can just return the favour but in these little areas where there is a cost, we could end up paying a high price.

Let's see, especially with the French election looming....
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Helios

Postby Helios » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 pm

RB

Postby RB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:07 pm

I found the last line interesting, "The UK in a Changing Europe assisted with the commissioning of this piece".

Paid propaganda. Newspapers are corporations owned by the rich with agendas. They can't be trusted.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Everything you read has an agenda, in some way. That doesn't mean you can't cherry pick the bits that are correct, and build an opinion on them.

Helios

Postby Helios » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:59 pm

The UK in a Changing Europe wrote:The UK in a Changing Europe promotes rigorous, high-quality and independent research into the complex and ever changing relationship between the UK and the European Union (EU).

It provides an authoritative, non-partisan and impartial reference point for those looking for information, insights and analysis about UK-EU relations that stands aside from the politics surrounding the debate.

The Initiative’s work is tailored to be easily accessible to policy makers, businesses, journalists, civil society organisations, educational institutions and the general public who are interested in the UK’s relationship with the EU.

Funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), and based at King’s College London, the Initiative will explore the key aspects of UK and EU dynamics, including:

ESRC wrote:What we do
We are the UK's largest organisation for funding research on economic and social issues. We support independent, high quality research which has an impact on business, the public sector and civil society. Our total budget for 2017-18 is around £202 million. At any one time we support over 4,000 researchers and postgraduate students in academic institutions and independent research institutes.

We are a non-departmental public body (NDPB) established by Royal Charter in 1965 and receive most of our funding through the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). Our research is rigorous and authoritative, as we support independent, high-quality, relevant social science.

What we offer
Research
We are committed to supporting the very best research, with scientific excellence the primary criterion for funding. All our funding opportunities are highly competitive and only those proposals judged by experts in the field to be of the highest scientific quality are supported.

Not sure what part of this screams propaganda at you.
I guess world renowned universities and Royal charters aren't actually worth much.
I'm sure the sources you base your opinions on are totally unbiased and impartial.

Actually no!

Just where the fuck do you get your information from?
You automatically distrust universities.
You automatically distrust institutions comprised of experts.
You automatically distrust all newspapers and mainstream media outlets.

Where the hell do you get your information from?

Helios

Postby Helios » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:04 pm

RB wrote:So far so good. After initial dips, the pound climbed and is forecast to continue upwards and the FTSE is back up into highest ever territory, even the 250 which is the best measure of the UK economy.
All the predictions of economic armageddon have been absolutely wrong.

Our little island and the bit we stole from the Irish is an absolute powerhouse. Second fastest growing economy in the world even after the referendum and even without Scottish oil.

We start this from a very strong position whereas probably one in four EU countries are bankrupt and the central bank is out of bailout money.
I know we won't get everything our way but I seriously doubt we'll do badly.

I think the big areas such as trade, security, the rights of citizens in other countries and the movement of workers in the future will be done fairly swiftly because they have to be.

It's the little things that will take ages such ensuring traded goods still meet regulations when ours can now differ from the EU. I think it's unlikely that the EU will impose trade tariffs as we can just return the favour but in these little areas where there is a cost, we could end up paying a high price.

Let's see, especially with the French election looming....

What was this chest thumping based on?
Pulled out your arse?

Helios

Postby Helios » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:23 pm

I just don't understand how your brain works.

I read over the past ten pages.

I ignored all your posts that give examples based solely on your personal experience just as I never try to use my personal experience as any sort of reasonable evidence.

You seem to repeat or refer to things you have read or seen somewhere when explaining what your thought process is so you must trust some sort of news outlet and some sort of industry expert.
But only when it agrees with you?
Any news outlet that disagrees with you in propaganda.
Any expert that disagrees with you is propaganda.

Am I the only one that sees this?

RB

Postby RB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:36 pm

The thing is, I see exactly the same thing from you and your intractable opinion.

Impasse.

Helios

Postby Helios » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:43 pm

You're not very good at answering questions which leads me to believe you don't really have much of a reasoning process.

You ask me a question or three and I'll give you my answer with some things I read to help me answer.
Then anyone is able to question my thought process.

I ask you questions and you evade.
If "Teresa May" was an insult you'd be it.

Someone mediate this please.

RB

Postby RB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:04 pm

What's with the personal attacks? You don't know me at all. A few dozen posts on a forum give you zero incite into who I am. The reverse is also true; the only thing I know for sure about you is that I seem to really wind you up.
Like I said, impasse, I see no reason to further argue this as you'll never see my side and I'll never see yours, we don't know each other and never will. I'm happy for you to have wherever opinion of me you like, no matter how incorrect.

Helios

Postby Helios » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:06 am

I know you very well.
You think you're right and everyone that disagrees with you is wrong.

Return to “Serious Discussion”