OpenReach

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
keasy
Tag: Argumentative cunt.

OpenReach

Postby keasy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:50 am

OfCOM have decided to not break up Open Reach and keep it under the control of BT.

What do you make of that?

For me it highlights what a waste of space OfCOM are.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: OpenReach

Postby Ekona » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:54 am

Not sure it makes a lot of difference either way tbh. The other network providers don't have unlimited funds to develop the network, even if they may make the right noises about doing so, and they've been given more scope to use existing ducts within the OR system anyway.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

keasy

Postby keasy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:59 am

apparently the 'access' has been in place for a matter of years already and, it raises the question why haven't the third parties taken up the ability to access ?

Are BT/OR pricing rivals out the game before they have the chance to establish their own physical infrastructure?

BSkyB have plenty funds to go in and make Fibre their own.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:03 am

Do they? They spent big on the football rights, are still losing subscribers, and developing & launching SkyQ isn't cheap.

It's all puff and bluster, they moan they don't have the access but even if they did/do I'm not convinced they'd use it.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

keasy

Postby keasy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:08 am

I reckon they would use it, BB is their holy grail
Capture the Super fast BB market and theirs is the oyster.

Amyway, they must have an idea, it was Sky that initiated the whole taking OR to account.

RB

Postby RB » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:15 am

I don't get why mobile companies aren't using 4G to push for the home broadband market.
I'm stuck with ADSL2 at home because I'm on an exchange line and openreach deem it too expensive to do anything about. However, I get 92Mb down and 40Mb up on my phone with EE 4G extra.
If EE offered a 4G router with unlimited data, I'd jump all over it and tear the landline out of the wall and set fire to it.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:25 pm

I think it's a good idea and keeps them funding to improve their broadband. They still can only offer up to 76mb speed, which isn't really 'super fast' either. Considering I get almost 3x that speed and very likely 3x that speed in actual speed. It's still not a patch on VM.

Sky, talk talk, plusnet etc etc are all utter shite as well. So BT improving it, helps everyone across the board and will also give some competition.

RB wrote:I don't get why mobile companies aren't using 4G to push for the home broadband market.
I'm stuck with ADSL2 at home because I'm on an exchange line and openreach deem it too expensive to do anything about. However, I get 92Mb down and 40Mb up on my phone with EE 4G extra.
If EE offered a 4G router with unlimited data, I'd jump all over it and tear the landline out of the wall and set fire to it.

I completely agree with you on this one. A mate just moved house from a VM area to an area where he can only get sky or bt (not open reach though). He basically chose sky because (to quote him) 'It's the same shitty broadband but it's free, rather than paying BT £10 p/m for it'.

He gets up to 10mb, steady 6mb he gets though. With 3 he manages to get 30mb download, 15mb up load i'm sure is what he says. He was going to just use his 3 for his internet as its quicker and he has an unlimited tariff but they cap it at 5gb (for tethering) and their home broadband/data sims whatever. They cap it at 20gb I think, which isn't really all that much plus they charge a fortune for it.

The problem might be that with BT having taking over EE, they may start to push their broadband from the 'BT' side of it and keep the mobile broadband solely to the EE side of the business.

Just out of interest I just done a couple of speed test:-

My 3G with EE seems to be faster than he gets with his home connection.

Can't seem to get higher than 125mb

I rarely get high speeds on the 4G side of things though:-

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:38 pm

If you don't think 45Mb/s is fast then I think your problem is high expectations, not low speeds...

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Postby MEGAHYDER » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:48 pm

But it is slow relative to what is possible. Technology advances

Sam
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Sam » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Plus using 4G for your home would give you a high latency, surely, if you're into games?

They put a 4G mast on one of the hospitals I work at, but doesn't bother me cos at work I just use the free wifi.

I live in the middle of nowhere and it it took years to get from 56k to 2mb down where I am, but the day we got enabled for infinity I jumped on it.

Best decision ever.
:-)

RB

Postby RB » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:22 pm

I get a perfectly acceptable 23ms ping on 4G.

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:34 pm

Mr.Clark wrote:If you don't think 45Mb/s is fast then I think your problem is high expectations, not low speeds...

I was referring to the speeds that RB gets.

45mb for a mobile connection is awesome and I can't complain about it one bit! I'd be able to stream from nf no bother at all.

keasy

Postby keasy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:47 am

4G would soon be over clogged if everyone dropped their landlines and adopted 4G as their primary.

ATM it's internet/web FackBook/Twatter access and YouTube prevalent AFAIK. Start using it as home connection and it would soon enough be overloaded with newsgroups, torrents, VPN's, FTP, etc, etc.

It doesn't cut the mustard for me,.

OR/BT need kicked up a gear.

RB

Postby RB » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Well, after slagging off Openreach for not doing shit about my exchange only line, a shiny new fibre cabinet appeared outside the exchange this week. Yesterday my router emailed me to say the line had gone dead but when I checked it was OK again. Today I got emails from pretty much every ISP in the country saying that I could now have fibre.
So next Thursday I'm getting 70whatever meg fibre. Yay.
Cunts could have done it two years ago when the rest of the town got it though.

Return to “Serious Discussion”