Net Neutrality?

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
FamousAjax

Net Neutrality?

Postby FamousAjax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:23 pm

Clicky.

Well, that's me, fucked. Comcast is the only provider in my area, because the other company that actually does FiOS doesn't see fit to lay cable on my street.

But for the SD, what do you think, should an ISP be able to block things from your computer? Especially in the method they're using?

And in theory, should PeerGaurdian work for this?
Warning! Do not feed the American!

RB

Re: Net Neutrality?

Postby RB » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:32 pm

They've had traffic shaping like that here in the UK for ages. One ISPs implementation is why I switched ISPs last week. The method they used could not be circumvented by any means.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Steve
Tag: SSSSSSSSssssssssss

Postby Steve » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:06 pm

I guess this sucks really.

What I don't want to happen is every ISP following the same path and everyone will end up fucked.

I'm telling you the world will end up like Equilibrium.

RobD
Tag: Too cool for School

Postby RobD » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:24 pm

RB wrote:They've had traffic shaping like that here in the UK for ages. One ISPs implementation is why I switched ISPs last week. The method they used could not be circumvented by any means.

Who you with now?? I want to swap but un-sure who to go with!!! Pipex Traffic Shape like a biatch!! Its really not much fun! :(
Woop Woop Woop

RB

Postby RB » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:40 pm

I've gone to Demon and so far all is well, no signs of traffic shaping.

smiler2505

Postby smiler2505 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:46 pm

Tiscali USED to do it, but now we have full speed all the time, and they've upgraded us to 768 from 512 for free...

RB

Postby RB » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:00 pm

smiler2505 wrote:Tiscali USED to do it, but now we have full speed all the time, and they've upgraded us to 768 from 512 for free...

But full speed on Tiscali's oversubscribed, sub-standard network isn't saying much. I still pop into their own community forums from time to time since I left them years ago and nothing has changed.

smiler2505

Postby smiler2505 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:08 pm

I think the problem comes when you have 8, 10, 24 Mb connections, and you get 2Mb speeds. We don't have that luxury so it's not a problem!

And say what you like about Tiscali; they offer the cheapest unlimited usage connections AFAIK.

RB

Postby RB » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:31 pm

smiler2505 wrote:And say what you like about Tiscali; they offer the cheapest unlimited usage connections AFAIK.

No they don't and they are far from unlimited.

smiler2505

Postby smiler2505 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:14 pm

who do? and it's a strange kind of limited where you can download as much as u want *angry but sarcastic pitiful emoticon here*

RB

Postby RB » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:38 pm

smiler2505 wrote:who do? and it's a strange kind of limited where you can download as much as u want *angry but sarcastic pitiful emoticon here*

In comparative products, Virgin or TalkTalk are cheaper not to mention some of the smaller ISPs.

Look into that Unlimited* and you'll see the the * leads to Unlimited time online, Fair Usage Policy applies. Like pretty much all ISPs that offer unlimited access, it is far from unlimited.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Do ANY of them offer completely unlimited, no usage policy or promises that they can limit at any time etc?
I bet there isn't.

RB

Postby RB » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:22 pm

There is, you can buy your own fibre line but you have to have the first name, Sheik.

smiler2505

Postby smiler2505 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:00 pm

RB wrote:
smiler2505 wrote:who do? and it's a strange kind of limited where you can download as much as u want *angry but sarcastic pitiful emoticon here*

In comparative products, Virgin or TalkTalk are cheaper not to mention some of the smaller ISPs.

Look into that Unlimited* and you'll see the the * leads to Unlimited time online, Fair Usage Policy applies. Like pretty much all ISPs that offer unlimited access, it is far from unlimited.

THEY HAVE A FAIR USAGE POLICY?! ZOMG I NEVER FIGUREZ THAT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!11111!!! < sarcasm

as Jez says, all ISP's have a FUP.

Tiscali offer unlimted downloads, with a FUP applied. And it's not an overly strict one (i downloaded Lost series 3, and Scrubs season 6, coupled with my normal web browsing (youtube etc, multiplayer online) all in the same month, with Vista Ultimate the month after that, and we got bottlenecked at peak times (6 p.m. till midnight). Since I do the downloading overnight/during the day so it doesn't impact browsing speeds, it wasn't an issue. It was a problem for gaming, but you can hardly say it wasn't deserved, I had downloaded a lot in about 3 weeks...and it's back to normal now anyway.

Ward
Tag: ಠ_ಠ

Postby Ward » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:13 pm

I'm on Freeola at the moment. Its OK.

Ish.

I pay £28 per month and I get 8Mb with 40Gb peak usage (8am-10pm weekdays) and 320Gb off-peak (10pm-8am and weekends). The only caveat is that whilst I got 860-900KB/s with Zen and Pipex, I only get that *sometimes* with Freeola in the early hours of the morning or in the middle of the day during peak times. As soon as the off-peak time rolls over, the speed plummets to around 3Mb to 5Mb probably because some eejit is downloading masses of pr0n, m0vies and warez.

Like me, the cheeky bastards.

However, the cap is such that theoretically, I could only top it by downloading 24/7 for a whole month. If that happened, they charge £1.50 per Gb over and after 5Gb it reduces to 80p. There is no shaping whatsoever - no port blocking, protocol obfuscation or any other known service reduction.

But the speed does drop a horrible amount. :|
Rabid Opera Fanboy

Return to “Serious Discussion”