Net Neutrality?

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Re: Net Neutrality?

Postby Tinlad » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:24 am

smiler2505 wrote:Tiscali offer unlimted downloads, with a FUP applied. And it's not an overly strict one (i downloaded Lost series 3, and Scrubs season 6, coupled with my normal web browsing (youtube etc, multiplayer online) all in the same month, with Vista Ultimate the month after that, and we got bottlenecked at peak times (6 p.m. till midnight). Since I do the downloading overnight/during the day so it doesn't impact browsing speeds, it wasn't an issue. It was a problem for gaming, but you can hardly say it wasn't deserved, I had downloaded a lot in about 3 weeks...and it's back to normal now anyway.

That sounds pretty strict to me. :?

I wouldn't be pleased with Virgin Media if they tried that.

smiler2505

Postby smiler2505 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:21 am

its really not, not when you have a whole network to run and be profitable. Think about it the other way round; if I was a casual user, and the equivalent of me was downloading as much as I was, then it would affect my speed, unless the other person was capped.

RB

Postby RB » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:13 pm

smiler2505 wrote:
RB wrote:
smiler2505 wrote: it's a strange kind of limited where you can download as much as u want *angry but sarcastic pitiful emoticon here*

Look into that Unlimited* and you'll see the the * leads to Unlimited time online, Fair Usage Policy applies. Like pretty much all ISPs that offer unlimited access, it is far from unlimited.

THEY HAVE A FAIR USAGE POLICY?! ZOMG I NEVER FIGUREZ THAT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!11111!!! < sarcasm

Don't get sarcy with me. You were claiming that Tiscali were completely unlimited..
smiler2505 wrote: it's a strange kind of limited where you can download as much as u want

.... when in fact they aren't, like pretty much all ISPs but they let you download less than most other ISPs which was my whole point. Tiscali suck, they are oversubscribed for the network they have so they have to implement traffic shaping that goes far beyond what most ISPs do. BT and Freeserve (as it was) all went through the same network shortfall when the internet became widely used and again when ADSL was first introduced. Their solution was stupid restrictions which cost them customers who were smart enough to know what was going on. The difference is that BT learned from the mistake and its highest priced package is now one of the most unrestricted deals around because it has put in a network that can handle it. Tiscali are all about getting customers' money with no regard for returning a decent service.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Chuck Steak
Tag: poo

Postby Chuck Steak » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:34 pm

Ward wrote:I'm on Freeola at the moment... I pay £28 per month and I get 8Mb with 40Gb peak usage (8am-10pm weekdays) and 320Gb off-peak

That's a little steep isn't it? Pipex's "unlimited" 8Mb package is £24/mo and Be's equivilent service is £14/mo
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

smiler2505

Postby smiler2505 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:18 pm

RB wrote:Don't get sarcy with me. You were claiming that Tiscali were completely unlimited..
smiler2505 wrote: it's a strange kind of limited where you can download as much as u want

.... when in fact they aren't, like pretty much all ISPs but they let you download less than most other ISPs which was my whole point. Tiscali suck, they are oversubscribed for the network they have so they have to implement traffic shaping that goes far beyond what most ISPs do. BT and Freeserve (as it was) all went through the same network shortfall when the internet became widely used and again when ADSL was first introduced. Their solution was stupid restrictions which cost them customers who were smart enough to know what was going on. The difference is that BT learned from the mistake and its highest priced package is now one of the most unrestricted deals around because it has put in a network that can handle it. Tiscali are all about getting customers' money with no regard for returning a decent service.

Nah, I said they were unlimited. Obviously a FUP would apply. Not once did I say they were COMPLETELY unlimited

And like I said it hasn't affected me because we have a relatively slow connection

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:26 pm

smiler2505 wrote:who do? and it's a strange kind of limited where you can download as much as u want *angry but sarcastic pitiful emoticon here*

I'd have thought that being able to download as much as you want is equivalent to being completely unlimited.

In reality you can't download as much as you want.

So you lied to us.

That makes us sad.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:29 pm

smiler2505 wrote:Nah, I said they were unlimited. ... Not once did I say they were COMPLETELY unlimited
So there's a difference between unlimited and "COMPLETELY" unlimited?

Nemesis
Tag: Misanthrope

Postby Nemesis » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:49 pm

Put in a MAC request with Nildram yesterday in preparation to move to another ISP.

I've not really experienced any traffic shaping as yet, but the horror stories of Tiscali is enough to make me jump ship.

Ward
Tag: ಠ_ಠ

Postby Ward » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:00 pm

Chuck Steak wrote:
Ward wrote:I'm on Freeola at the moment... I pay £28 per month and I get 8Mb with 40Gb peak usage (8am-10pm weekdays) and 320Gb off-peak

That's a little steep isn't it? Pipex's "unlimited" 8Mb package is £24/mo and Be's equivilent service is £14/mo

Yeah, but I was a Pipex customer until they booted me for 'unlimited' use. As soon as Be is available in my area, the rules change...
Rabid Opera Fanboy

smiler2505

Postby smiler2505 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:14 pm

Tinlad wrote:
smiler2505 wrote:who do? and it's a strange kind of limited where you can download as much as u want *angry but sarcastic pitiful emoticon here*

I'd have thought that being able to download as much as you want is equivalent to being completely unlimited.

In reality you can't download as much as you want.

So you lied to us.

That makes us sad.

but you can download as much as you want...you just might be slowed down the next month

Sam
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:52 pm

TECHNICALLY its not unlimited...if there is a limit. all this fucking FUP bullshit when they advertise Unlimited. pack of thieveing gypo cunts.
:-)

FamousAjax

Postby FamousAjax » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:07 pm

Update on the situation.

I've just run a few torrents, and they downloaded just fine. Dunno what to think about all this, really.
Warning! Do not feed the American!

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:04 am

the outfit seems to be stifling BitTorrent uploads (but not downloads)
That's actually rather cunning when you think about it.

By not throttling the downloads, they're expecting the average user to not complain, but by restricting upload speed, they'll be able to say to the record industry "look, we're helping prevent Americans from sharing your stuff"

It's a bad idea from a torrent point of view, of course, but somehow, I doubt they care about that.

Chuck Steak
Tag: poo

Postby Chuck Steak » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:52 am

Better than in England where ISPs are like

"if yous is downloadin we'll throttle ur whole internet connection to 56k u crazy ho"
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

tinchick
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby tinchick » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Oink? I've never heard of them, have you?

Return to “Serious Discussion”