The Android threat.

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

RB

The Android threat.

Postby RB » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:23 pm

From now and forever henceforth let this be the place for the Android equipped, Apple shunning, cool kids to congregate.

<Begin>
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Blak
Tech Moderator
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Re: The Android thread.

Postby Blak » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Bought a Desire then?

RB

Postby RB » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:58 pm

Indeed, coming Saturday. Now I just need to know what to fill the 32GB card with.

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:04 pm

The Desire does look sexy, specs-wise. Congrats!

I can haz ur iPhone?

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:10 pm

It sucks that you can only install apps to the phone (FroYo will let you install to the SD Card) but I am still tempted to get a Desire now my upgrade is due. If I sell my iPhone 3GS 32GB I could get £400 for it with accessories (if I sell now, I am sure its value will drop when eyePhone Fore comes out) and I can upgrade to the Desire for free. The iPhone 4 will probably cost me close to £200 up front plus a shitty iPhone contract. I am still torn.

Actually I think I pretty much answered my own question! WHAT IS STOPPING ME FROM GOING TO THE DESIRE THEN! :( :?

DJ
Tag: Cured

Postby DJ » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:27 pm

You could get an iPhone and install Android on it.

*runs*

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:40 am

DCUK7 wrote:It sucks that you can only install apps to the phone (FroYo will let you install to the SD Card)
If you root your phone (which you should probably do anyway) then you can install A2SD, which lets you do just that. I can't really see the benefit, so all mine live on the phone though.

Anyway -- just updated my Hero to Android 2.1, and it's beautiful. The turn-by-turn navigation in Maps looks particularly cool.

gamerfreak
Tag: Spotted Dick = yummy!

Postby gamerfreak » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:28 pm

Dan wrote:Anyway -- just updated my Hero to Android 2.1, and it's beautiful. The turn-by-turn navigation in Maps looks particularly cool.

Did you get 2.1 from the xda-developers forum or over-the-air? Because I've been waiting and checking up on this 2.1 update since last December.

I checked again yesterday for news on 2.1 for Hero and I read on a German website that it'll be available on June 23rd.
Birdshit

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:35 pm

gamerfreak wrote:
Dan wrote:Anyway -- just updated my Hero to Android 2.1, and it's beautiful. The turn-by-turn navigation in Maps looks particularly cool.

Did you get 2.1 from the xda-developers forum or over-the-air? Because I've been waiting and checking up on this 2.1 update since last December.

I checked again yesterday for news on 2.1 for Hero and I read on a German website that it'll be available on June 23rd.

Modaco Custom ROM (MCR) 4: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-h ... droid-2-1/

Still a work-in-progress, and based on the Taiwanese release (though obviously in English). Despite this, it seems exceptionally stable, and should be trivial to update to later versions of MCR based on the English release. Only caveat is that some Orange users have reported that they've been unable to connect to the network with it installed: it's fine for me on T-Mobile though.

gamerfreak
Tag: Spotted Dick = yummy!

Postby gamerfreak » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Cheers for the link. I'm a bit cautious with using an update from an unofficial source so I'll just wait for the over-the-air update.
Birdshit

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Dan wrote:
DCUK7 wrote:It sucks that you can only install apps to the phone (FroYo will let you install to the SD Card)
If you root your phone (which you should probably do anyway) then you can install A2SD, which lets you do just that. I can't really see the benefit, so all mine live on the phone though.

Anyway -- just updated my Hero to Android 2.1, and it's beautiful. The turn-by-turn navigation in Maps looks particularly cool.

The only reason I want SD card support is because of the 512MB of ROM on the Desire. On my iPhone I am nearing the 2GB mark in apps although a quarter of that is taken up by a sat-nav app.

I can vouch for the community at Modaco though, they are a solid bunch of guys. I learnt a lot about SPV hacking from there and probably wouldn't be able to cook ROMs for WinMo without their knowledge back in the day.

RB

Postby RB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Given that my Desire will come with 2.1 and will get 2.2 from an official update, is there a reason for me to root it beyond bluetooth tethering which I could live without?

EDIT: and is iTunesSync the best way of getting my iTunes library onto it?

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Use doubleTwist, I have heard its the best for syncing iTunes stuff to non-Apple devices.

You might end up rooting it as 2.2 might not come until near the end of the year. Once HTC get it they have to port Sense over to it so HTC Android devices always take longer to get updates than stock Android devices like the G1 or Nexus One.

RB

Postby RB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:20 pm

DCUK7 wrote:Use doubleTwist, I have heard its the best for syncing iTunes stuff to non-Apple devices.

Does that not replace iTunes though? I still want iTunes as I have a couple of touches plus Mrs RB's iPhone.

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Ah you're not ready to cut iTunes dependancy, probably best to stick with iTunes Sync then.

Return to “Tech Talk”