The Android threat.

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

RB

Re: The Android threat.

Postby RB » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:59 pm

The way the phone works and its specs make a difference but 2300mAh is pretty small for a smart phone. The gen 2 is better on battery than the gen 1 but small batteries don't last no matter how good the hardware is.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Question, does android have built in visual voice mail or an alternative too it? Or do they only have apps?

I moved to three this month due to their international roaming being free (in selected countries obv) but i'm seriously considering switching back to EE as they have visual voicemail.

Feels like i've gone back in time to the outdated way of managing my voicemail and three just say bs about their are apps out there rather than spending money and getting the system in place.

RB

Postby RB » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:31 pm

What is visual voicemail?

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:35 pm

Voicemail that comes in like a text message, so you can select it to listen to individually rather than dialling a number and ploughing through them all.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:51 pm

It was so much easier seeing who had left me a message and who hasn't from my miss called list.

I could save/delete at will in a manageable list.

Now as soon as I tap voicemail it just phones up the daft voicemail service from 8 years ago! Like they say you don't know what you've got until it's gone!

I've done some googling and it seems that o2 had to implement it when they first got the iphone as a sole provider of it and when they opened it up to all networks the new networks didn't bother as they don't have to pay anything. Bad games from Apple, should have forced them into it in order to sell the iphone so the networks actually improve their service and spend a bit of money! They're just like use this app, we're working on 4G.

Only o2 and EE (Orange+T-mobile too) have it.

Pretty poor that no other networks are supporting it :(

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:47 pm

The new Moto X is worse on its battery compared to the old one. I'd suggest that the larger screen is one of the culprits but even idle use during screen off time the new one drains faster. Its a massive shame as its almost the best Android device you can buy right now. If your usage isn't heavy then its a great phone.

Visual Voicemail is a mess, especially in this country. Part of the problem is that the VVM standard allows a VVM server to control what clients it serves the data to (so a VVM could be configured to serve VVM data to an Android phone but ignore a Windows Phone for example). The other issue is that the original iPhone VVM service was completely specific to iPhone and the ones that are offered now (which work cross-platform) by providers such as O2 required different hardware and software on the carrier end.

The original implementation should have been open from the start but then Google and Microsoft didn't care about VVM one bit (which is why the YouMail VVM app became so popular). Total mess!

RB

Postby RB » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:26 pm

The new one has Amoled instead of LCD, reports I've seen say it's better on battery because of it.

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:53 pm

DCUK7 wrote:Visual Voicemail is a mess, especially in this country. Part of the problem is that the VVM standard allows a VVM server to control what clients it serves the data to (so a VVM could be configured to serve VVM data to an Android phone but ignore a Windows Phone for example). The other issue is that the original iPhone VVM service was completely specific to iPhone and the ones that are offered now (which work cross-platform) by providers such as O2 required different hardware and software on the carrier end.

The original implementation should have been open from the start but then Google and Microsoft didn't care about VVM one bit (which is why the YouMail VVM app became so popular). Total mess!

That's a total kick in the bollocks that.

Don't know why there isn't more of a fuss about it, it should now be the norm!

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Just got an invite for a 64GB Oneplus One... have 24 hours to decide if I want it or if I should wait for the Nexus 6/X announcement... decisions decisions!

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Get it.

If you don't like it sell it and get the nexus 6 or what ever.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Nextus will be amazeballs.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:20 pm

Jezreel wrote:Nextus will be amazeballs.

Giant amazeballs, potentially.

I've gone for the Oneplus One. I'm justifying it on cost. Quad core 2.5GHz, 3GB RAM, 64GB memory, £274 inc delivery.

RB

Postby RB » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:06 am

Make sure you get the patch to fix the dodgy touchscreen.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:54 pm

And the free hat.

Entity

Postby Entity » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:28 am

I'd sell my soul (PS Vita and 2012 Nexus 7) for a Nexus 9.

Return to “Tech Talk”