Nexus Prime and Android 4.0

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

RB

Re: Nexus Prime and Android 4.0

Postby RB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Handtec have it for pre-order for £510, due in soon. *Is tempted*

Someone convince me that it's better than the soon to be ICS'd Razr though because that skinny kevlar bastard is making me a bit moist.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:25 pm

The Razr does look pretty nice, but I think being guaranteed fast and stable updates with none of the manufacturer associated crapware on the Nexus make up for it.

Reports today are saying the 17th. Still no news from T-Mobile. Looks like I'm moving to O2.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Have my Galaxy Nexus. It is incredible. I don't think I've ever been quite so impressed with a new bit of technology.

The handset itself is very nice: very clean and sleek looking, and nice to hold. The build quality is pretty good: it's obviously largely plastic, but it's all fitted together nicely and compactly so it feels well balanced and solid. The screen is incredible: massive, bright, and very sharp. You can have the BBC news website loaded and zoomed out so the whole thing is displayed on screen and still be able to read the text. The hardware finally feels fast enough for the underlying OS -- things happen on the screen at the same time/speed as you're doing them -- the whole experience is very responsive.

The underlying OS is also excellent, and a significant evolution of the previous versions of Android I've used. Simplification seems to be a big feature: there are only two press-able things on the phone itself: the volume rocker, and the power button (replacing the six on my previous phone). Everything else is managed via software. Here, everything has been simplified as well: there are three main navigation buttons (back, home, and multitask) all of which do exactly what you'd expect, and are extremely responsive. New apps are designed specifically to fit with this new interface; old ones add a fourth button to the navigation bar which acts as the old 'menu' button. The general design is modern -- sharp, minimalist, bright colours. It looks lovely, but it's a shame the 3rd party app shortcuts (which are frequently low resolution, the wrong size, and ass-ugly) sometimes spoil this a bit.

The significant new parts of the OS seem to be face unlock (a bit shit: only recognises my face 1/10 so 9/10 you have to type a PIN in, so it's faster to just do this all the time), the battery monitor (a little useful, quite interesting if you're a graph-loving nerd like me), and a data use monitor with the ability to set warnings and limits (very useful, especially given that I've had to change to a 1GB package). The text-to-speech has also been updated so you can dictate in real time: this can be either startling accurate, or laughably appalling. It's probably faster just to type on the (very good) on-screen keyboard. The supposedly instant access to the Google updates has proved a little disappointing: my phone is still on 4.0.1 (latest being 4.0.3) and I only got the volume bug fix (which had not affected me) last night. Hoping that this gets sorted out as time goes on.

I'm extremely impressed.

RB

Postby RB » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Updates are rolling out in an odd order. I'm still on 4.0.1 but Mrs RB is on 4.0.2 (which is the latest released version, 4.0.3 is only out for devs).

4.0.3 is the one to wait for anyway as 4.0.2 does nothing of use.

RB

Postby RB » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:35 pm

Also, it seems not all GNs are updated by Google. Get this app to check

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:58 pm

I defeated Face Unlock on my mate's Galaxy Nexus by taking a photo of him on my Nexus S, then showing that picture on the screen to the camera.

The phone itself is very nice. I don't think I can justify over £500 for one though :/

I'm waiting to see if Padfone will do everything I want, then I may sell my Transformer and Nexus S and get a single device.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:30 pm

RB wrote:Also, it seems not all GNs are updated by Google. Get this app to check
Mine is Google updated. Seems they havn't got round to the UK-based peasants yet :(

Face unlock obviously isn't (and never will be) particularly secure but is more a quick and easy way to add a bit of additional security (or would be if it worked properly). You can encrypt the whole device with a PIN or password, so I might change to one of those two soon (currently using a pattern unlock).

RB

Postby RB » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:34 pm

If you want decent face recognition with per app locking ability that also checks to see if you are alive and not a photo then Visidon App Lock is worth a go.

RB

Postby RB » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:02 pm

Yay shiny new Ice Creams. 4.0.2 just pushed out to me.

Edit:
It's fixed the issue I had with the camera app sometimes taking a few seconds to open.

Savara

Postby Savara » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:32 pm

I really need to get my shit together and get me one of these.

RobD
Tag: Too cool for School

Postby RobD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Mine is coming today....excited!!
Woop Woop Woop

RobD

Postby RobD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Should I charge it for 12 hours or anything daft before using it?
Woop Woop Woop

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 pm

RTFM ;)

I always give my electronics a good charge before using them, maybe not 24 hours but certainly a good 4-6.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

RB

Postby RB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:44 pm

It should charge to full capacity from dead in about 4 hours. Mine came charged.

RobD

Postby RobD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:15 pm

Ekona wrote:RTFM ;)

Ill have you know it didnt say ;)
I fucking love it though, brilliant screen etc, so much nicer than my htc desire!
Woop Woop Woop

Return to “Tech Talk”