Amplifier buying advice

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Amplifier buying advice

Postby Ekona » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 pm

A very similar setup to mine, Pioneer amp and Samsung tv.

My OSD runs via HDMI so I don't have this issue, so I'm a little stumped. Give me a while to check out the manual on line and I'll get back to you.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

soopytwist
Location: Leicester, where Richard III will be burried (again)...not York. Booshucks to you Yorkshire!

Postby soopytwist » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Thanks Ekona. Sorry, I edited my previous post before I read your reply. Here's what I added to the bottom post on page 1:

Hold fire! I assumed the OSD would be on the screen straight away after turning the AVR on for the first time. Not so apparently you have to press the RECEIVER button then HOME to get the OSD on screen!
Well that allowed us to run the MCACC set up. Afterwards though we couldn't get ANY HDMI sources on screen apart from sound.

First tried the blu-ray again, pressed BD on the AVR remote and we can hear what's playing but can't see it. If we press the source button on the TV's remote HDMI 2 is greyed out and if you select it it says there is no signal. Next tried the V+ box, same thing can't select HDMI 2 on the TV which is the port the AVR is plugged into (from HDMI OUT on the back of the AVR). Lastly tried the DVD/DVR and the same there, there is sound on all three appliances but no signal. So tried a different HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV, no change.

It worked fine before running the MCACC set up and no we can't get a picture from anything! HELP!

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:27 am

Glad I forgot to go look at the manual now! :lol:

Sounds to me like the AVR is still stuck in the OSD mode, or you've altered the settings so that the inputs aren't going out via the HDMI output (although, to be fair, to do that takes a fair amount of fiddling in the settings and it's the kind of thing you'd know if you were in there, so I very much doubt it's that). Let me try the manual thing again now and give you a reply back in a minute.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:30 am

Daft question, but you have got the AVR plugged into HDMI 2 input on the TV? 100% sure on that?

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 am

On p31 of the manual (Ch7), it refers to synchronising HDMI operations, and how some units don't like it. Check the options on there and play around with them to see if that makes any difference. I'd also check the HDMI cable between AVR and TV to see if that's not suddenly decided not to work.

Failing that, I'm a bit stumped. Unplug the RCA plug that allowed you to view the OSD as well, rule it out completely.

soopytwist
Location: Leicester, where Richard III will be burried (again)...not York. Booshucks to you Yorkshire!

Postby soopytwist » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks Ekona :D . Something somewhere worked. I turned off Anynet on the TV (synchronisation) with everything unplugged and started again, I also reset the AVR back to factory setting and now it works beautifully! Re-did the MCACC again (that sure is loud uh?!) and now everything works as it should. So I don't know what it was in the end. Could have been the Anynet or some loose cable, although I kind of ruled that out last night with all the cable swapping that went on. Maybe it was the reset, perhaps it was stuck in OSD mode like you say. That's unplugged now as it is no longer needed, unless dad wants the speakers manually setting. My mum remarked how much better Holly Willybooby and the Schofe sound with the AVR set to EXT. STEREO.

Result! ;)

The things we do for our old folks uh?

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Glad you got it sorted and your parents are pleased with the end result :)

soopytwist

Postby soopytwist » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:13 pm

One other minor problem. Mum used to use the remote for the telly and Dad has the remote for the V+ (and now AVR). Mum can't change the volume of the telly any more because the sound is now from the AVR. I tried programming the blu-ray remote instead - for a Pioneer signal, it doesn't change the volume of the AVR though or turn it on/off. I'm guessing they only work with TV's. So I need a small, easy to use (for a lady in her mid sixties - *whispers*) that will operate the volume, if nothing else, of the AVR so Dad can hang onto the AVR remote. Mum gets confused with all the buttons on modern remotes and would likely press the wrong buttons!

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:53 pm

Look at the range of the Logitech Harmony remotes, they may seem a bit complex at first to set up but once that's done they're very simple to operate.

Return to “Tech Talk”