Trying to install this old webcam

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

soopytwist
Location: Leicester, where Richard III will be burried (again)...not York. Booshucks to you Yorkshire!

Trying to install this old webcam

Postby soopytwist » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:30 pm

It's a ViewQuest M318B. I last used it more than a decade ago to film something I never finished. Now I need to finish it but I have to use the same camera otherwise the footage won't match. For example I can't use my Sony Handycam because the video quality will be completely different, which I don't want.

The problem is the driver doesn't like any of my computers. Windows 7 and XP both freeze and lock-up entirely, keyboard and mouse also fail to respond when I install the driver from Windows Add New Hardware wizard. Either freezing immediately after copying the driver files to Windows\system32 or just after completing this stage. I knew my main PC wouldn't install it so I've just been concentrating on my XP netbook and XP spare PC, both freeze when attempting to install the driver.

I managed to find the original software online (don't have the disc any more) and tried to install from this instead. the first warning message says I need to "enable USB first", WTF? USB works just fine thanks, I'm using a USB mouse with the spare PC. The next error tells me to disconnect the camera if it is plugged it, which it isn't. Then the setup completes but there's no confirmation message so I figure that's done then. I plug the camera in and the PC freezes again. When I clicked on the Start button the PC emits one long never ending beep, so I had to hard reset. Now it doesn't even boot...well I think it isn't booting, see that's my second problem.

My old spare PC has a 4870X2 graphics card in it. Unfortunately the mobo is a cheapo one and there's always a delay before an image appears on the screen. Nothing appears on the monitor until the desktop appears. This is a problem if I've had to hard reset and the PC is waiting for a response to a POST request.

So two problems, one I need to install the old webcam, why is it locking up my computers when the driver is installed? Secondly what the hell do I do about my spare PC? I have no other graphics card spare and no CRT monitor.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Trying to install this old webcam

Postby Ekona » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Use Handycam and edit the shit out of the footage until it looks like the old one. Gotta be easier than faffing around with drivers.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

soopytwist
Location: Leicester, where Richard III will be burried (again)...not York. Booshucks to you Yorkshire!

Re: Trying to install this old webcam

Postby soopytwist » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Well I tried but I just can't get the same look. Its very noticeable going from one to the other. I did get some decent results from saturating the colours but I just can't get the same blocky low res visuals. Plus the old cam was about 18 FPS, maybe less. My spare PC managed to boot eventually after a few restarts. The driver would appear to be installed but the second the webcam is plugged in, into any free USB port, the computer freezes. Same thing happens on my NC10 Netbook, its all fine until the camera is plugged in. And no, the camera on the NC10 won't do as its just not practical where it's positioned.

Return to “Tech Talk”