Tech Gaydar

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Tech Gaydar

Postby siteguru » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:25 pm

http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of- ... nt-1088018

I see they've decided to nix the forums completely. :twisted:

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Tech Gaydar

Postby Ekona » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:35 pm

That's the end of that then. Forever. I'll be honest, I'm a little sad at the passing of the place altogether, but it deserved its fate ultimately.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 pm

When we all left, PCFF kind of died anyway, didn't it?

When they moved to that new one it was only a matter of time.

DJ
Tag: Cured

Postby DJ » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Recruitment drive!

DJ
Tag: Cured

Postby DJ » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Actually it's a bit sad, because lets be honest, if it wasn't for forums some of us would never have met in real life or otherwise. I don't know whether they are in decline as a medium with sites preferring the Comment route, but you can't form any sort of connection with other uses in a comment section. When the bulk of the cool kids left PCFF and came here, it showed how cool forums have actually been. It's nice to know I've rang Ekona on the odd occasion with a plumbing question, met him and Jez and Joe and it's been awesome. Hell I've known some of you on here longer than people I know in real life!
It was only a matter of time when Tech Radar took over, and I've no idea what it was like on there, but if a little online community has closed I think it's still rubbish.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:59 pm

They're reopening comments again apparently. But yeah, I echo what you've said there. Maybe it was Zeitgeist. Things seem to revolve around monetised social networking now instead of good old forums, not for us old timers though.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:58 pm

DJ wrote:but you can't form any sort of connection with other uses in a comment section.
I've seen blogs where people have actually formed whole communities, with all the bickering, strife and friendships that entails.

I don't get involved though. It's a crapton harder without avatars, and there's just so many blogs out there...

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm

I hate how every website under the sun is jumping onto the 'social media' bandwagon. When I'm talking to strangers on the internet I want to keep my identity completely separate from the one I use in real life.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:29 am

That makes me sad. :cry:

I'm a cunt on the internet, and one in real life. Mix and merge bitches, mix and merge. 8)
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 am

Thing is though - we've seen you in a Mankini. Nowhere to hide ... ;)

Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:36 pm

Some thoughts:

I'm all for social media integration if it means people are motivated to post responsibly and face consequences for being dicks. Open comment sections never fail to erode my faith in humanity (just look around Youtube's comments for examples), probably because I'm too used to choosing who I follow on Twitter and actively avoiding unprotected exposure to the abuse, bitching and stupidity of the general public.

Facebook is dogshit if your 'friend' list is full of distant family members, people you went to school with and people you met at parties once. I consider some of you closer friends than a lot of the people on my Facebook.

As I get older I realise more than ever how important it is to reconnect with friends in person. There's nothing particularly bad about just sending a text or tweet every now and then, but nothing compares to getting together for a few drinks and a long evening catching up. The internet has devalued what it means to be 'friends' and that makes me sad.

Forums haven't died, they're just evolved into stuff like branch.com. Conversations are flexible and spontaneous, and the internet has taken its sweet time catching up to that reality. Hopefully now we're seeing the start of a new wave of services that value good content and real connections over the popularity contests spawned by Facebook et al.

Having grown up and made a career out of the web/digital it's very important for me to be open, honest and consistent whenever I post anything online. I'm easily searchable by my colleagues, peers, and clients. I have to be seen to be active within the community. My online identity has to be the same as my real-life one, so why fight the advances of social media when I'm not trying to hide who I am?

Sorry for the brain dump, can't quite craft that into a cohesive post.

Return to “Tech Talk”