Games that take over your desktop while installing them

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

soopytwist
Location: Leicester, where Richard III will be burried (again)...not York. Booshucks to you Yorkshire!

Games that take over your desktop while installing them

Postby soopytwist » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:46 pm

This is a tech question so it's in the right place. Is there a way to minimise a game that's running it's installer so it doesn't take over my entire freaking desktop! I find it really fricking annoying. I'm lucky in that I have smaller second screen set up with my desktop expanded so at least I can continue to do other things with my PC while the game installs, just would like my main screen back please.

Case in point - Assassins Creed Revelations, which I have yet to play and are installing it right now with Firefox opened over a massive picture of Altair and Ezio. Can't get rid of it, If I drop to the desktop from the Show Desktop button on the Win7 taskbar as soon as I click anything I have open, BANG! Damn splash screen is in my face again.

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Re: Games that take over your desktop while installing them

Postby kingweed » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Be a man and buy an xbox and you won't have any of these issues :)

Sorry can't actually help though.

soopytwist
Location: Leicester, where Richard III will be burried (again)...not York. Booshucks to you Yorkshire!

Postby soopytwist » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Not read my tag then?

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:30 pm

soopytwist wrote:Not read my tag then?

I didn't but still give you some advice to avoid this issue altogether and have a better all round gaming experience :)

Helios

Postby Helios » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:14 pm

I have a better suggestion: Take a huge poop while the game is installing.

RB

Postby RB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Can you not right click things and set their properties to run windowed.

Also Xbox 720 will make PC games obsolete.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Postby MEGAHYDER » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:41 pm

PC GAMER MASTER RACE

soopytwist

Postby soopytwist » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:47 pm

RB wrote:Can you not right click things and set their properties to run windowed.

Evidently not, not in this case anyway. I've tried all sorts of ways to minimise them but nothing works. I just wondered if there was registry hack that disables full splash screens. Since I can't find anything on Google I guess not. I also seem to be the only human man on planet Earth who's even mentioned it.

As for the Shitbox 720, PC gaming will always be better period. Yeah we have to deal with DRM, hardware conflicts, bad ports, expensive upgrades to stay ahead and developers telling us to go fuck ourselves but the pro's out-way the con's by a long mile. You won't see Black Mesa on Xbox. You can't mod games on consoles (not properly anyways) and you can't cheat either if you're that way inclined. But what tops PC gaming over any other format is WASD & Mouse. If the 720 had a keyboard and mouse then I might consider buying one. First Person Shooters with a joypad is fucking dumb. I laugh heartedly at gameplay footage of console monkeys trying to hit things with their twin sticks....ooh look, someone's shooting you in the back, better turn around...quickly...almost there...90 degrees, not quite there yet...there you go! a whole 180 degrees in four seconds..oh dear, looks like you're dead already. And aim-assist? Pah ha ha, you need aim-assist to shoot things, now that is funny.

RB

Postby RB » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:17 pm

But....

a) Cheats are for cunts who cheat and are therefore cunts.
b) Black Mesa is shit and good mods like CS get bought and come to consoles like CS has.
c) Windows 8 is apparently worthless for games according to Valve and others. I smell death nail especially as MS want you to buy an XBox.
d) Sticks are fine if you know how to use them. Watch some pro gamers and see what is possible. Plus everyone has to use them so it levels the field.

The PC as it is will die soon anyway. Consumers are switching to tablets, gamers are switching to consoles and people who still want or need a desktop are switching to touchy all in ones. We mostly use Cintiq touch monitors at work now, it doesn't matter what drives it.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Agree with RB.

Plus if you really want to use a keyboard and mouse combo you can.

FIFA on a PC is stupid too.

I don't know what you mean by cheating. You can cheat on both afaik.

soopytwist

Postby soopytwist » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:52 pm

I don't know any cheats for Xbox 360 games. When I owned my 360 I don't think any of the games had cheats, for obvious reasons. I actually left a lot of them unfinished because I found them too tough like Dead Rising. I despise checkpoints and prefer quicksave, not because I'm rubbish at games - mainly because it is handy to be able to just save and quit rather than having to get to the next checkpoint before you have to switch off, then there are those games that don't even save your checkpoints until you complete a whole level like Perfect Dark Zero. Or the distance between them is ridiculously far part like the ones in Black (never did finish the last level, always got very near the end, screwed up and returned to the beginning of the level again. Broke two controllers because of that shit).

With PC games you often have configs to tweak or cheat trainers, you can't do that on a console. Not that I do this often, though I do like to mod games to make them less shit (Pretty proud of my mod for Mass Effect 2 recently).

There is a device for the 360 that allows you to use keyboard and mouse, it is very expensive though and I don't know how effective it is at translating joy controls. I imagine it not working so great with a lot of games.

Con's aside, PC gaming is still better for the moment in terms of visuals, though we have to tweak them to get more from them or download third party hi-res texture packs if there's one available. Also, I can play games at a resolution of 1920x1200 whereas X360 and PS3 are stuck with 1080.

I agree though that when the X720 and PS4 come along their games will be superior. And If I can afford one of those keyboard/mouse adaptors as well then I may seriously consider buying one. At the very least PC 's will get better ports more suited to the 500 quid graphics card I have in my rig.

Publishers should quit retail and shift everything over to downloads, I'd happily download all my games, piracy would be less prevalent for a start.

Anyway, WTF? This thread was about game installers with big-ass splash screens. Bugger the Console vs PC debate.

Ward
Tag: ಠ_ಠ

Postby Ward » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Win-D will force most apps to the taskbar, showing the desktop. Then you only need to click the window you want to see while the install carries on in the background.

Pressing Win-D again will restore all the windows to their previous state.

PC GAMING 4EVA

XBOXERS GO FUCK YERSELVS

:wubs:
Rabid Opera Fanboy

soopytwist

Postby soopytwist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:05 pm

Cool, thanks Ward. Works a treat that!

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Postby MEGAHYDER » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 am

PC GAMER MASTER RACE

Return to “Tech Talk”