Graphics card failing - time for an upgrade.

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

doogle
Tag: Likes squeezy cheesy cobs.

Graphics card failing - time for an upgrade.

Postby doogle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi everybody :)
my Geforce GTX 280 card has started giving me random scrambled coloured screens when booting into Windows and playing games, I can load up fine in safe mode, but each time I boot normally it reinstalls the drivers for the card automatically and then on the next boot it fails again.

I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now and have my eye on a nice GTX 670 card, but I was wondering if my current PC would be good enough to actually run one of those.

I'm currently running an Intel core 2 quad Q9450 (2.6Ghz) with 8Gb RAM (Max my mobo can take)
I do have a 1000W power supply though so I should have no problems with electrical power requirements :)

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Graphics card failing - time for an upgrade.

Postby Ekona » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:05 pm

It'll be fine, normally PSU is the issue here as you know. GPU over CPU for gaming, too.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

doogle
Tag: Likes squeezy cheesy cobs.

Re: Graphics card failing - time for an upgrade.

Postby doogle » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:31 am

Cool, I thought it would be ok. Ordered one today, should be here Monday so I can get back to playing Minecraft :lol:

Ooh, me new card is nice! Playing all my games with everything maxed again and DX11 effects in the ones that support them :D
Even got 16*Q anti aliasing stuff in Crysis with no slowdown!! 8)

Just need to save up for another few months to upgrade my mobo and CPU :P

Return to “Tech Talk”