Windows Phone 8

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

RB

Windows Phone 8

Postby RB » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:44 pm

OK, so I bought an HTC 8x and I know others here have Windows phones so it deserves a thread.

Couple of questions.

What's a good news feed app similar to Pulse.
I thought all Win 8 phones had Nokia Drive, where?

What other apps are worth getting?
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Re: Windows Phone 8

Postby kingweed » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Whats your thoughts on it so far?

RB

Postby RB » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:18 pm

As DCUK said, the build quality is superb.
It either does what I want out of the box or I've found an app for all my needs. Now using Weave as a Pulse-like news reader.

It seems Nokia Drive will probably come to the device eventually but to be honest, I never use phones as satnavs, I have a satnavs for that. I was just curious.

It's definitely different and takes some time to get used to but I don't hate it. It's very slick and surprisingly feature rich.

The app store is a bit sparse but I'm not missing any essential apps.

If you really want a change from iOS or Android but still need functionality then it's a winner.

I'd arranged to sell my GNex to a colleague when I got a new phone and I've already handed it over so I must be comfortable with WinMob8.

FamousDave
Tag: Not famous

Postby FamousDave » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:02 pm

The Lumia 920 is a very nice, solid build though a bit of a slippy finish on the matt black. I have dropped it already. :?
The camera is awesome, especially in low light. I don't need a dedicated point and shoot.

For the software itself once I'd found how to quick switch apps (hold the back button) I was happy with the functionality.
I have the London Travel app which lets me put my oyster card balance and specific lines/bus stops on my home screen for live updates.

I've replaced all the apps I actually used on my iPhone except Spotify, which I can't find in the store even though it was there when I checked online a few months back. xbox music appears to do the same job though (for £1pm cheaper) so I think I'll move over to that as I have it on Windows 8 too
This post was written by me, but not necessarily what I truly believe

RB

Postby RB » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:09 pm

I just found the speech recognition thingy by holding the windows soft button. That works well.

FamousDave
Tag: Not famous

Postby FamousDave » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:14 pm

I must admit the search soft button feels a bit pointless as it's not contextual to each app. All it does is launch bing so I'm never likely to use it except maybe for the Shazam like music search.
This post was written by me, but not necessarily what I truly believe

RB

Postby RB » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:35 pm

The barcode scanning feature of the search app replaced the awesome Android Barcode Scanner app for me. I don't think it needs its own soft button though, it should have been a task switcher.

Selecting text and positioning the cursor is a joy. It blows away Android and iOS for easy quick cut/paste/edits.

The 8x camera is very nice. It makes the GNex camera look like my 1997 Kodak DC120. Though the GNex camera is notoriously shit.

I love the dedicated camera button with real 2 stage focus and shoot. It's great that it wakes the phone and goes straight into camera mode from one button.

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Glad you both are enjoying WP8.

Microsoft has licensed Nokia Drive from Nokia and offers it free to all the WP8 OEM's but it is their choice whether they include it or not. I would guess that HTC will decline as they have their own app for that called Locations (they are in the final stages of their WP8 version). Unlike Nokia, they only offer Locations as a free trial before you have to pay to continue to use it. It does work well though.

The search button was a contextual search button pre-Windows Phone 7.5 but Microsoft user testing showed that people didn't use it for that purpose so it became a quick launcher for Bing. I hardly used it at first but now I use it all the time to access Bing Vision to read QR codes and to access Local Scout when I am some place I don't know very well.

The speech recognition can read your text messages back over your bluetooth headset or car connection and even asks you if you want to reply via voice. It might not understand natural language in context but it understands speech very well indeed. With Windows Phone 8 apps can tap in to the TellMe service similar to how they do on the iPhone with Siri. UrbanSpoon is one app that does this currently and there is a twitter app called glƏƏk! which will be releasing an update shortly to tap in to TellMe.

Finally, Spotify is only compiled for WP7 so is not available for WP8 yet. Some WP7 apps can't run on WP8 without being compiled again using the latest version of the SDK (and most really only need a re-compile of the code) and the odd few need code tweaks to work. Microsoft actually developed the Spotify app but it never really got updated. The good news is that Spotify are working on both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 apps although development of both has only just got underway. I've switched to Xbox Music for now until they get their shit together.

/marketingpost

RB

Postby RB » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:46 pm

HTC support just told me that they are replacing locations for the 8 which will be done by software update. No timescale or confirmation that it will be Nokia Drive but it sounds like it.

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Interesting. The HTC rep I spoke to in London last month said Locations was in the process of being updated for WP8.

I hope they have decided to go with Nokia Drive instead of Locations as it is definitely the better of the two.

RB

Postby RB » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Looks like I'm not the only one who's had that info...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1976196

RB

Postby RB » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:42 pm

The more I use and hold my 8x the more I love it. It feels so nice in my hand and the interface has really grown on me.

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:47 pm

http://www.expansys.com/nokia-lumia-920-white-239580/

Fuck me side ways!

Way more than I'm willing to spend on a non iphone phone.

RB

Postby RB » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Yeah that's not the real price of them but they got some in stock at any cost. They offered one to me as I'd preordered a yellow one and told me that they'd sell out quickly so I should be fast. Two weeks on and they still have stock.

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm I right in saying, if I buy a brand new sealed one from ebay that came from EE. It would be locked to EE?

If I do, do that how difficult would it be to unlock it?

Return to “Tech Talk”