Dan's NAS/media server stuff

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Re: Dan's NAS/media server stuff

Postby Tinlad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:52 am

Ekona wrote:MOAR UPDATES

So I binned the RPi since it wasn't manly enough to do the 1080p/5.1 stuff I needed it to, which it mainly down to the lack of gigabit ethernet than the unit. I've been using my old work laptop running Win7 for the past few months, which although has run XBMC perfectly, it doesn't handle closing the lid but staying on very well. It was always a temporary method, though.

I can't remember whether I posted it here, but I too ditched the RPi. It was a great (and cheap!) way to prove the concept, but I was getting bored of the interface lag and the limitations of 100Mbps Ethernet.

I've built an ITX based HTPC, since I had everything except the CPU + mobo hanging around. Core i3 4130T (35W TDP), 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD in a tiny (20 x 20 x 6 cm) case. The only fan is the CPU fan, and it's damn near silent. Running OpenELEC. Idle power consumption is about 10W (Haswell ftw), and it spends most of its time sleeping.

My UnRAID server is still purring away happily. I've got a Pro license now (me and mate split a two-pack), so I'm getting the benefits of having a cache drive and more free slots than I can shake a stick at. Version 6 is on its way soon, which will be adding a few nice features too.

Question regarding Plex - what's the benefit over XBMC (Kodi)? Is it more focussed on multi-device homes (i.e. a client-server model)?

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:59 am

It is, yes. The client server gives a much easier way of handling files, as it's all based on the one location so leaving a film on the couch and then watching the rest in bed is sorted.

I had a play last night with the Xbone app, as well as the web server, and it's perfect. Everything streams 100% with no stuttering, subtitles all work, I can use any iOS device without an extra app, and can now watch all my media from any location via the wonder of 4G. Sure, the library system doesn't seem quite as adjustable or well sorted as XBMC, but I think that's something I need to get used to. I also need to tidy up my file naming too, but again that's what you get from switching to Plex from XBMC.*

It's certainly something I can heartily recommend, especially for people who have fuck all clue about linux i.e. me, as even I was able to get it up and running as well as updating it automatically to the latest version.

*It's only tiny things, like the third Star Wars film getting put under Return Of The Jedi rather than Star Wars Episode VI, like all the others are sorted as. You can sort that via the GUI on the web though, so that you don't actually have to figure out what you're naming on the NAS by each individual file.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks for the info!

To be honest, I never watch anything on any device other than my TV, so I think it it'd be wasted on me at present. I'll certainly bear it in mind for the future though.

For the moment, OpenELEC is perfect. It does one thing and does it brilliantly, with zero hassle.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:06 pm

I can now watch my films at work :D
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:59 pm

I'm Plexified too now!

Unfortunately when it came to transcoding it highlighted just how weak the CPU in my UnRAID server is... so I had to upgrade it to a Haswell Pentium G3220. :oops:

Works brilliantly though. Plex isn't anywhere near as configurable as Kodi, but I can forgive that in exchange for how neatly it all works together across all my devices.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:03 pm

:D Welcome to the future!

I did some bits to mine too last week, like adding a couple of fans to the chassis (HDD temps now sit at 35c under load), and ripping out the Fatality sound card I'd left in there from when it was a desktop PC. I also swapped the huge dual slot gfx card (9800GTX I think) for a modern tiny fanless thing, all to control temps and increase airflow. Whole thing runs much cooler now, which is important since it's now in a server cupboard rather than a room.

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:20 pm

Nice 8)

Transplanting the CPU+mobo in my server highlighted some poor aspects of the case I'm using: low clearance for the CPU cooler (I had to use tin-snips to 'adjust' the case just to get the new kit in) and the lack of any dust filters on the grills. It was filthy. So a new case might be on the shopping list at some point.

An SSD cache drive is also on the list - particularly now that I've got Plex using it for its library files.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:44 pm

Lols, adjusting with tin snips! :lol:

That's not a bad idea y'know, using an SSD for the Plex library. Easy to add on Unraid, and I've got a spare one sitting here too.

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:01 pm

IMG_1403.JPG

There's about 4 mm clearance between the CPU fan and the bottom of the drives cages, but the edge of the case meant that the motherboard had to be inserted at an angle... which there isn't enough clearance for. Hence the application of tin-snips to create a handy fold-down section!

On the right you can also see my 2.5" cache drive on its extremely ropey DIY mount.

I think a new case might be a good idea. :lol:

Lian-Li PC-Q25 looks good.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Ah, you mean a Liam-Li case, surely?

/very_old_joke

They look nice. I'll go grab a pic of my botched setup as it stands today, gimme 5 mins.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:00 pm

So yeah, not quite as pretty but it works! :D

That's the main box, as I said it used to be my main desktop PC so it's an i7 with about 12GB of RAM :oops:

Internals, apologies for the colour but that's the new fan lights. Plenty of space in there!

And shots of the new server cupboard/cloakroom and the rack itself. Took me ages to get the proper colour coding on those cables! :lol: There's a spare 3TB drive in there too that I haven't quite gotten around to installing yet.

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:48 pm

I want a cupboard like that. :wubs:

The pimpin' LED fans hint at the glorious history of the former gaming PC, now relegated to a dark corner, asked only to read video files and parrot them back over the network...

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:50 pm

Also, I don't get the Liam-Li joke. :(

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Tinlad wrote:The pimpin' LED fans hint at the glorious history of the former gaming PC, now relegated to a dark corner, asked only to read video files and parrot them back over the network...

:lol: :lol:

My original sig on PCFF had all my PC specs on, as t'was the fashion back then, and I'd mis-spelt Lian-Li as Liam-Li. Much pisstaking and hilarity ensued.

Savara

Postby Savara » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:18 pm

Jeez - you got enough stuff connected up to those switches?! Where's it all go to?

Return to “Tech Talk”