Dan's NAS/media server stuff

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Re: Dan's NAS/media server stuff

Postby Tinlad » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:37 pm

Ekona wrote:That's not a bad idea y'know, using an SSD for the Plex library. Easy to add on Unraid, and I've got a spare one sitting here too.

Just installed a 240GB SSD as my cache drive (£65! It would have been rude not to...), and browsing Plex is now noticeably snappier. I heartily recommend it.

I slightly cocked up copying my cache contents to/from my array (for the upgrade) - I didn't preserve the permissions on my docker app folders, so none of them worked when I loaded them back up. I'm now familiar with the chown and chmod commands though, so I'm classing it as an unplanned learning opportunity. All working again now. :)

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:15 pm

Haha, I like that.
I don't know this = unplanned learning opportunity :)

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Sun May 17, 2015 8:34 am

New server update this week on Plex, which has finally given the consoles the ability to stream music. Works well enough, and the web interface seems to be a bit more responsive too.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:00 am

I can't stop fiddling. :oops: (fnar)

My UnRAID server now has an i5 4570S and a 750ti. In a new case. Running a Windows 8.1 VM with the GPU passed through for native performance (VT-d FTW). Running Steam in-home streaming means...

Cities: Skylines on full graphical settings at 1080p/60fps streamed to my laptop. :D

The new case is slightly bigger, but is both cooler and quieter (even when playing games). Plus it means my laptop stays nice and cool and quiet too.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:22 am

Oh that's genius, what a great idea :)

My new PSU had a noisy fan, probably blocked up with dust and crap, so I just ordered a new one instead as I hate taking these things apart. They're both modular Corsair ones, so easy to change, which I did last night. Fired the whole thing back up, and... Oh. The fan is still making noise. Eh...?

Turns out wasn't the PSU fan after all, it was the HDD one I'd forgotten I'd installed :oops: Oh well, at least I have a spare PSU now.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:26 pm

:lol: Oh dear. Easily done!

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:12 pm

I can go better than that: The PSU in my main PC also went pop this week, took out a circuit breaker in the house. I made sure it was the PSU by plugging in a spare PSU just to the main motherboard connector, and then switching that on and proving power to the mobo where the old PSU gave none. New 750W Bronze80 PSU ordered for next day delivery, not cheap.

That wasn't a modular one, and it took ages to fish all the cables out, but I did it. Went upstairs, plugged it all in, dead as a dodo. Fucksocks, thinks I. Unless...

Yeah, that other PSU I tested? Well, I used a new kettle lead for that, didn't I? Changed kettle leads on the new PSU, fired up first time. I think I'd just blown the fuse in the kettle lead, but I still threw the whole thing away in disgust at myself and I never want to know the truth :oops: :lol:

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:49 am

Nope, the main PC is fucked, blew the new PSU today :( New PC time then, can't be arsed to start fault finding on the components, PSUs aren't cheap!

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:41 pm

I've added a UPS to my server/HTPC setup. The power's normally really reliable, but a couple of power cuts earlier in the week had me cursing, as I was actively using the server at the time.

Found a nearly new APC Back-UPS Pro 900 for cheapsies on eBay, which is now sitting nicely 'twixt my HTPC and my server:
IMG_2049.jpg

(There's a panel that hides all of this, which attaches via the four white magnetic latches)

UnRAID's set to automatically shutdown once the battery has less than 10%/10 minutes remaining. Should have enough power for over 2 hours of running!

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:32 pm

That's something I need to add to mine. Was it relatively easy to set UnRAID up with the UPS? Is there any particular UPS I should be looking at, or to avoid?

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:02 pm

If you're on UnRAID 6 then it's piss easy. They've baked in 'apcupsd', which is a solid Linux daemon for managing UPSes. Plug it in, enable UPS in the settings, tell it what connection type you've got (USB, RS323 etc.) and you're done.

I think anything by APC is probably a safe bet - just find one with a sufficient peak wattage for the gear you want to protect. One thing to bear in mind is that often they come with IEC (kettle) sockets, so you may have to buy/make some adapters to plug in some stuff. I've put an IEC plug onto a 4-way adapter for that reason.

RB

Postby RB » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:06 pm

I have one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-BE700G-UK-I ... ds=apc+ups

It comes with actual plug plug sockets on it which is useful.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Lovely, thanks guys.

I think I'm still on a 5.x RC... :oops: :lol:

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:14 pm

I was going to get the same one as RB linked to, if I hadn't found the one I got on eBay (for the same price). The one I've got is overkill really, but I'm a sucker for LCD readouts. :oops:

UnRAID 6 is well worth upgrading to, if only for the new web interface. Beyond that there's loads of new functionality, mainly in the area of Docker and VMs, but also in terms of NAS features (cache pools, scheduled parity checks, email notifications etc.).

Tinlad
Tech Moderator

Postby Tinlad » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:38 pm

UPS had its first real test over Christmas, as the inclement weather knocked out the power for nearly 3 hours. Server ran on battery for somewhere around 2 hours and then shut itself down once the remaining juice reached 10%.

A previous test was my wife switching off the wrong socket when trying to turn off the Christmas tree lights. It managed the 3 second outage just fine. :P

Feeling justified in my purchase!

Return to “Tech Talk”