Files delete themselves from my Dropbox

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

soopytwist
Location: Leicester, where Richard III will be burried (again)...not York. Booshucks to you Yorkshire!

Files delete themselves from my Dropbox

Postby soopytwist » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:04 pm

I can't post this on the Dropbox forums because I can't sign in. There's nothing to enter my user name and password into!

Anyway, I have a folder for a Skyrim mod I made in December 2012 and checked it today to find it is empty. There's nothing in the events to suggest anything was deleted by me or anyone else, all the files for the mod apart from the empty folder are gone from both Dropbox online and from my local drive. I have other files on Dropbox and they're all fine.
The only thing I did with the mod folder was to share the link to it online on the Bethesda Creation Kit forums, a link I assume allows others to download the files not delete them.

I only have Dopbox installed on one other PC, which is mine and both it and my main PC are not shared by anyone else.

RB

Re: Files delete themselves from my Dropbox

Postby RB » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:17 pm

I've never had anything go missing.
Have you turned on 2 step authentication for Dropbox? That will ensure there's no foul play.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Polito45
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom wanks yet

Postby Polito45 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:40 pm

I personally haven't had anything go missing in Dropbox but I wonder, given that you have it installed on 2 machines... if they are synced, could this have happened? -

Some bloke on the Interweb wrote:"My colleague lost most of his Dropbox folder last week, and wasn't able to recover everything.

What happened: he had Dropbox synced to 2 computers, but one of them hadn't been used in a while. He turned on the old computer, and apparently, for some reason, Dropbox decided that the fact that many files weren't there was because they were deleted. Of course, the files weren't there because they hadn't been synced yet!

So Dropbox decided, when the old computer was turned on, to delete 10s of thousands of files that were in my colleague's account."
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." — Aristotle

Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:52 pm

You should be able to sign into your DropBox web interface from dropbox.com; from here you'll be able to view all recent changes and roll back to archived versions of the files (ie. before they disappeared)

soopytwist
Location: Leicester, where Richard III will be burried (again)...not York. Booshucks to you Yorkshire!

Postby soopytwist » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:32 pm

The missing files I already had backed up elsewhere, the mod was only on Dropbox for the benefit of downloaders prior to figuring out how to upload an archive from the Creation Kit.

I'm wondering now if moving over to my new PC had removed them when I installed Dropbox on my new PC, I guess it saw the files missing from the HDD so instead of trying to sync them, it removed them from online...? seems rather silly for it to do that and why only the mod files and nothing else?

RB, How do you turn on 2-step authentication? I'm fairly new to Dropbox, maybe a downloader was able to delete the files?

My Skyrim mod is now up on the Steam Workshop anyway so I don't need to host it on my Dropbox anymore.

RB

Postby RB » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:53 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/help/363/

Well worth it. I have 2 step on everything that allows it because fuck having my gmail or dropbox etc hacked and held to ransom.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

soopytwist

Postby soopytwist » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks RB

Return to “Tech Talk”