Apple Stuff

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

RB

Re: Apple Stuff

Postby RB » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:32 pm

I sort of don't hate my 6s Image
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

RB

Postby RB » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Well, iPhones are to Androids as consoles are to PCs. You get the same stuff, just not at the highest resolution or with all the settings and you can't install mods.

I like it, like I like my PS4. My Moto X shits all over it specs wise but it's just about good enough that it doesn't matter.

Also Australian girl Siri is sexy.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:22 am

How's the new touch screen working? Gimmick, or helpful?
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

RB

Postby RB » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:16 pm

For the moment it's a bit of a gimmick but I think once people start realising what can be done with it and write apps accordingly, it will become useful.

It's quite helpful while launching apps to be able to shortcut to the feature you want from a pop-up message when you hard press you but that could have been done with a long press context menu anyway.

I think it's a technology that will persist and grow.

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:23 pm

RB wrote:For the moment it's a bit of a gimmick but I think once people start realising what can be done with it and write apps accordingly, it will become useful.

It's quite helpful while launching apps to be able to shortcut to the feature you want from a pop-up message when you hard press you but that could have been done with a long press context menu anyway.

I think it's a technology that will persist and grow.

Pretty much.

I keep getting asked that from people who want to 'see' the new phone. I find myself saying it's basically just apple stuff that works with it and it pointless at the moment.

I however am looking forward to what ideas/shortcuts etc that devs can come up with!

I'd also like more developers to use the touch id in more of their apps as well. Amex/amazon/Bank seem to be the only ones that have it as a feature of their app. I'd like every app that requires a log in to enable it or apple have a menu where you can set it up so when people do borrow your phone they don't fuck around with it.

The new touch ID is also massively improved in this one and way quicker. Sometimes too quick, It's already loaded before i can double tap to load up apple pay!

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:16 pm

TouchID works on Authy (better than Google Authenticator as you can sync it between devices), LastPass, Dropbox and the NatWest app for me. Plus I'm far less annoyed at having to authenticate every single app store "purchase" (including free apps) now that I can just use my fingerprint.

RB

Postby RB » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:36 pm

Am I alone in teaching it all my fingers and one toe just in case?

Also, it doesn't half burn through its battery. I haven't had a phone go dead at 8pm in years.

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:16 am

Mr.Clark wrote:TouchID works on Authy (better than Google Authenticator as you can sync it between devices), LastPass, Dropbox and the NatWest app for me. Plus I'm far less annoyed at having to authenticate every single app store "purchase" (including free apps) now that I can just use my fingerprint.

I actually forgot about the app store, so handy that you can just use your finger print for that as well!

Will have to look into Authy, although I rarely use the G.Authenticator as 99.9% of my email is done with my phone.

RB wrote:Am I alone in teaching it all my fingers and one toe just in case?

Also, it doesn't half burn through its battery. I haven't had a phone go dead at 8pm in years.

lol, i've done each thumb twice. I don't think i ever use anything other than my thumbs on the home button. I tried to use my finger(s) to press the home button or type and it just feels retarded for me!

I also picked myself up one of those official apple cases, went for red leather - only because it was £15 on amazon but it's gone back up to £35, which I don't understand because it's still sold by amazon.co.uk and not a third party.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:01 am

RB wrote:Am I alone in teaching it all my fingers and one toe just in case?
I've done a couple of fingers, but not all of them. What I'd like is the ability to enrol a "special" finger and if you use that, it instantly and without prompting wipes the whole device. I'd be more worried about it in the US, where a copper can't compel you to give up a password/PIN, but they can force you to fingerprint-unlock a phone.

RB wrote:Also, it doesn't half burn through its battery. I haven't had a phone go dead at 8pm in years.

I get two full days out of mine, which I don't think I ever did with an Android.

Also, I picked up an iPad charger. 1% to 100% in less than 3 hours... awesome.

kingweed wrote:lol, i've done each thumb twice. I don't think i ever use anything other than my thumbs on the home button. I tried to use my finger(s) to press the home button or type and it just feels retarded for me!
Index fingers are handy to open it if it's lying on a desk and you can't be bothered to pick it up...

kingweed wrote:
Mr.Clark wrote:TouchID works on Authy (better than Google Authenticator as you can sync it between devices), LastPass, Dropbox and the NatWest app for me. Plus I'm far less annoyed at having to authenticate every single app store "purchase" (including free apps) now that I can just use my fingerprint.

I actually forgot about the app store, so handy that you can just use your finger print for that as well!

Will have to look into Authy, although I rarely use the G.Authenticator as 99.9% of my email is done with my phone.
It's not just for email! I have Authy for two-factor authentication for: Dropbox, Evenote, TeamViewer, LastPass and (apparently) my Kickstarter account, as well as Google. I'd recommend adding anything that supports Google 2FA into Authy. Security! :D

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Me and a friend did a test with mine, we used one of my fingers and one of his fingers when setting my phone up and alternated when prompted to touch the pad. Completely different prints, but the phone eventually accepted both prints under one record. It's good, but clearly not that accurate.

Handy though, as I now have all ten fingers and thumbs on record for my phone :D
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:09 pm

Mr.Clark wrote:It's not just for email! I have Authy for two-factor authentication for: Dropbox, Evenote, TeamViewer, LastPass and (apparently) my Kickstarter account, as well as Google. I'd recommend adding anything that supports Google 2FA into Authy. Security! :D

Looking into it now :)

RB

Postby RB » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:11 pm

I've set Mrs RB the task of borrowing a koala (she sometimes vet temps at a zoo) so I can teach the phone its fingerprint then go to McDonald's and see the look on their face when I use the koala to pay.

She gave me her special, " you are so fucking retarded " look and told me she'd try.

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:31 pm

That made me lol

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Seems to be a big shift in sales in Asia, especially in S.Korea for the iphone. Despite price drops from Sammy and LG.

Android phones are going to have to majorly cut the price, if they are going to compete.

Loads more banks/credit cards companies being added to apple pay as well.

They really have it down with their marketing.

RB

Postby RB » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Well, I've officially switched to the iPhone 6s. I've sold my Moto X Style.

The reason is simply the size. My Android phones since the Nexus S have been getting incrementally bigger and as the changes have been quite small, I've not noticed it. The size of the 6s is about perfect for me, so much so that it's now the only phone I own.

The hardware is not as good as my last two Android phones. The OS is frankly out of date and a bit shit but it's good enough to live with until hopefully a decent Android phone comes out that's not fucking massive.

Return to “Tech Talk”