Apple Stuff

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Re: Apple Stuff

Postby Tinlad » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:57 pm

Tinlad wrote:It'll be interesting to see what policies Apple apply to the App Store for the new Apple TV.

If it gets Plex, iPlayer, Amazon Instant Video etc. apps then I'd love one to replace my HTPC. I guess it depends on whether they're primarily selling it to make money from the hardware, or from the media they can sell through it.

I suspect the latter, but I hope for the former.

I have one, and my HTPC is on eBay.

The Plex app works well - it's a first release, so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles yet, but it does what I need it to do. My server's having to do a bit more transcoding, but the vast majority of my files are playing via Direct Stream or Direct Play.

HDMI-CEC means that I can now ditch my Harmony remote - pressing a button on the Siri Remote turns on the TV, and it turns it off when it goes to sleep. It controls the volume via IR (didn't even need setting up - guess it detected a Samsung TV via the EDID and chose the appropriate codes). The touchpad on the remote is really nice to use. I've not used Siri much, but when I have it's been accurate and fast.

The App Store is currently a bit sparse, but I've no doubt it'll soon start filling up - and that's when things will really get interesting. The BBC have confirmed they're working on an iPlayer app, but in the mean time I'm accessing it via a Plex Channel. Having reliable AirPlay (which PHT/Kodi don't have) means that anything currently missing can just be streamed from my phone/tablet/laptop. tvOS needs a bit more polish - text entry, for example, can be painful - but the general experience is pleasant.

I know that my HTPC was technically more flexible/capable, but I was getting frustrated with temperamental remotes, sleep/wake, updates, etc. I'm OK with the trade-offs to have something that works reliably as an appliance.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:17 pm

What bitrate are your video files in?

ATV4 only has 100Mbit Ethernet, so I can't see how that's going to cope with a full bitrate BD rip with Master HD audio. Which is a real shame, as otherwise this was a must-buy for me. :(
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:00 pm

I was a bit disappointed it isn't gigabit, but I've not noticed any difference in reality.

I haven't got any full bit-rate BD stuff though - but don't they top out at about 40Mbps? 100Mbps should cope fine. The other option is AC wireless, which technically should be faster than 100Mb Ethernet... depending on signal strength, naturally.

It might not be the best choice for your usage. Probably worth checking out what audio formats it handles too, as I don't think it does all the multi-channel ones (not a problem for me and my 2.0). Perhaps the Roku 4 would be better, when it comes to the UK?

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Can anyone help me, I've tried googling it but the suggestions don't work and are mainly for iOS devices rather than OSx.

Basically I use google to search for teams to get their score quickly. I just want to be able to type 'barca' or 'real madrid' or 'lol leeds' or whatever without it redirecting me instantly to their top fucking hit.

Basically is there a way I can completely remove that top hit search feature?

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Top Hits come from your web history and your bookmarks so if you are searching for "apple pie" and you type "app" and have apple.com in your bookmarks then Top Hits is going to suggest "apple.com" until you've typed "apple p".

There is no way to stop this behaviour in Safari on the Mac through the GUI. There may be some .plist file somewhere but if it exists I've never seen it.

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:32 pm

but I've only ever went on to that barcaform website by pure fluke using that search?

I've interest in it what so ever.

Thanks though, i'll delete it from the history and what not hopefully that gets rid of it.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Just a heads-up, the latest version of iOS has changed the way they do two-factor authentication.

Log into your AppleID and see if you have "Two-factor verification" or "Two-factor authentication" turned on.

If it's Verification, that's the old method. Turn off the 2-factor, log out and back in, then set up Authentication.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Nice one, cheers :)
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Thanks

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sun May 15, 2016 10:54 pm

This new style of two stage is a pain in the arse. I updated my iPad and tried to sync it via the cloud for notes - way better than Evernote now. Logged in. Got the code thing flash up, put it then it opens up another log in but that says enter passcode.

What fucking passcode?!?!?

Load of shit, so I've had to disable it in order to sync my notes and what not. Totally pointless if you can't actually work it!

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:26 pm

New MBPs announced today. JFC the price of them. Hopefully no one buys them. The UK prices are utterly fucking ridiculous.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:15 pm

Thank the Brexiteers for the prices. Maybe next time, people will actually think before flushing our currency down the shitter.

The MacBooks look nice actually. Maybe this will be the time I actually move over to one (I know, I've been threatening to for years...).

Awaiting the reviews. Plus I do want to play with a 15" and a 13" one, just to check out the size difference...

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:46 am

Mr.Clark wrote:Thank the Brexiteers for the prices. Maybe next time, people will actually think before flushing our currency down the shitter.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"It was over-valued anyway, it's just been reset, blah blah blah..."

I just can't see what makes them worth the money, even before the price increases. What can they do that a premium Windows-based laptop can't? Apart from get you laid by hipster chicks, of course.

RB

Postby RB » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:16 pm

Fuck Apple. The Microsoft Surface Studio is the future.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Nice bit of kit, isn't it? And free Xbone S if you buy a fancy one!

Return to “Tech Talk”