Apple Stuff

A place to talk about anything technology related, incorporating the Tech Help section.

Moderator: Tech Moderators

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Apple Stuff

Postby Ekona » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:57 pm

Great write up, good find :)

Maybe there's room for a proper Pro now? Although I hate to think of the cost...
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:11 pm

Agree, excellent read and defo the way I see it too.

If I did buy one (which I won't) I'd have to get a USB adaptor and carry it around with me, would just piss me right off!

Mr.Clark
Tag: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Postby Mr.Clark » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Mr.Clark wrote:Knowing me, I'll just be cooing over it saying "ooh... shiny..." but I'll see what I can do :)

Ooh... shiny...

It's very nice. I can imagine that the keyboard will be a bit marmite - personally, I actually like it a lot.

I have a ton to learn about OSX macOS, so I'm currently just setting up Safari, installing Office, figuring out this ginormous touchpad etc.

But damn... shiny... :wubs:
The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Worth it?
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:35 am

Going to take a bit of getting use to this no home button button. Face ID is way better than Touch ID. Game changer iyam, no more having to take gloves off.

One thing I will say is the thing is too big. You (well I) can’t use it comfortably with one hand.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:25 pm

Better how? I didn't get one because I like being able to have it unlocked by the time I take it out of my pocket, and I'm a man so I don't wear gloves :P Plus I tend to leave it on the desk beside me and just rest my hand on the sensor to unlock and faff around with it. My gut feeling is I won't be able to do that with the X, as it's either going to stay locked until I put the code in (so takes longer) or it'll constantly be unlocked or unlocking itself (chewing through battery). True?

You get used to a bigger form factor quickly: I'm happily using a Plus with one hand now and that's bigger than the X.

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:30 am

Ekona wrote:Better how? I didn't get one because I like being able to have it unlocked by the time I take it out of my pocket, and I'm a man so I don't wear gloves :P Plus I tend to leave it on the desk beside me and just rest my hand on the sensor to unlock and faff around with it. My gut feeling is I won't be able to do that with the X, as it's either going to stay locked until I put the code in (so takes longer) or it'll constantly be unlocked or unlocking itself (chewing through battery). True?

You get used to a bigger form factor quickly: I'm happily using a Plus with one hand now and that's bigger than the X.

I've ran a few tests, unlocking it and I think you'd be okay as you'd have to physically leave the phone on the table and be at a 90° angle or greater away from it for it not to unlock - but then you wouldn't be able to see the screen and it's difficult to use anyway. You'd have it lifted up slightly, at least angled at your face so it'll unlock. Roughly at 30-40° before it picks your face - which is where i'd actually have it if I was sitting at a table playing with it anyway. Standing over the thing it unlocks it.

Taking it out your pocket, you just use it as normal and just flick up from the bottom (home button press if you will). Rather than placing your thumb on the home button. I had my thumb as about 5 different finger prints on my 7 with all different angles so as i was taking it out my pocket like you it was would be unlocked i just had to roughly place my thumb on it. I don't actually notice a difference the only thing is i have to flick from the bottom up.

One thing I will say is I've noticed I some times now put the phone in my pocket the wrong way if you will. It was always put in screen onto my leg and home button at the top of the pocket so when I take my phone out my thumb is already in the spot and it's unlocked as i'm lifting it out. This is obviously not an issue if i'm walking around and putting it back in the pocket but when it's on the table, there is no feel for what part of the phone you have - well there is the side buttons but i've not got use to judging it by that, not yet anyway.

As for the later part, i'm not actually sure to be honest if it uses more battery. I used my phone the whole of yesterday, more than I normally would because it's a new toy and the battery held up pretty great. I don't wear a watch, so regularly checking the time on it and it 'unlocks' it without me actually opening it. Generally speaking I don't how to judge the battery now apart from that as the % is no longer on display with the new one. The top right bit beside that bar displays Signal strength - wifi/4g - battery without the % and the left displays carrier logo.

Which is actually quite annoying - I'm going to look into seeing if I can change that and reorder it by priority. I'd much rather it just showed a % for battery and showed the bluetooth and the little arrow for location services that are in use but that's me.

Overall it's still a mixed bag at the moment. I wouldn't however upgrade if I had a 7/7p and just save the money.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Oh hell yes, battery percentage is an absolute must-have on screen. Much more important than carrier logo.

Thanks for the info dude, very helpful. :) I don't think it's something I'm going to rush out and buy, but it doesn't sound as useless as I initially thought it might be. And of course, we all need to know how many times you've made a talking poo emoji ;)

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:34 pm

That was one of the first things I done. So awesome how immature everyone is :D

It works okay, it doesn't work as good as the filters on snapchat though, it's a bit laggy and buggy and not nearly as smooth.

I can't change the battery to a %, would be some much better. I can't be the only one who'd prefer that. It's just an inconvenience having to go to the quick control in order to view it.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:46 pm

I agree it's annoying; even if there are multiple ways to check (swipe down, swipe all the way to the left and have the Battery widget on or ask Siri), none of them are as convenient as just looking at the top.

Maybe they're hoping they'll be able to shrink the notch on the next model, to have more room for things like that. I'm on the Upgrade Programme, so I'll probably swap to the XS (or whatever) next year after everything's been a bit more refined. Personally, I'd prefer to be able to change from an icon to a percentage in the ears, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I will point out (Dan) that the carrier logo is only there on the lock (Home?) screen. Otherwise it's got the time and whether or not the location services are connected on the left "ear". The right one then has both cellular and wifi connectivity, plus the battery icon. And to be fair, the battery will go red at 20%, so it shouldn't be a complete surprise when it gets low.

Interesting you say it's too big - I assume you're coming from a non-Plus model? Going to this from my 6S Plus is interesting, and not as bad as dropping down to an 8 non-Plus would have been.

Other than that, loving FaceID. I always liked TouchID, and this just elevates unlocking evertyhing to the "how things should be level. Opening Dropbox? Doesn't ask for a code. Evernote? Same. Myki? Yep. It's awesome. We'll see if I feel the same way after using it at work next week, but I tend to have my phone propped up, so I'll probably be fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And finally Dan - just noticed your MacBook Pro comment there. How rude I never replied! Overall, yes, I think it probably will be worth it. I'm hoping to have it for at least 4-5 years, so the TCO drops the longer I have it (one of the reasons I specced almost everything to max in the first place). I ended up installing Parallels as I have a .net programme that won't run in Mono or Wine, and I've discovered there was no Mac client for the VMWare vSphere Client, so I had that installed when my home server was running ESXi. Now that I've migrated to Hyper-V, I'll have to get the management software for that installed as well.

The Touch Bar is more than a gimmick but not something I use every day (except possibly the Lock Screen shortcut). TouchID is ace though, far quicker than hammering out a password every time I want to wake it up. Maybe the next one of those will have FaceID... no worrying about the notch there! They'll need to be able to do multiple users on it, as I suspect that TouchID can do that already.

And the touchpad has utterly spoiled me for anything else. It's just so good! I can't stand using normal ones on the machines at work...

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Nearly a year late, well played that man :lol:

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Mr.Clark wrote:I agree it's annoying; even if there are multiple ways to check (swipe down, swipe all the way to the left and have the Battery widget on or ask Siri), none of them are as convenient as just looking at the top.

Yup, strange how little things like that are annoying.

Mr.Clark wrote:I will point out (Dan) that the carrier logo is only there on the lock (Home?) screen. Otherwise it's got the time and whether or not the location services are connected on the left "ear". The right one then has both cellular and wifi connectivity, plus the battery icon. And to be fair, the battery will go red at 20%, so it shouldn't be a complete surprise when it gets low.

I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out, I did notice it had the time there but didn't even clock that the carrier logo wasn't there!

Mr.Clark wrote:Interesting you say it's too big - I assume you're coming from a non-Plus model? Going to this from my 6S Plus is interesting, and not as bad as dropping down to an 8 non-Plus would have been.

Yeh, I had the 6 > 6s > 7 > x never bothered with the plus version. They just seem massive. I'm still not comfortable writing with one hand. How do I get the screen to come down without the home button? You just had to rub the home button without actually pressing it to get the top part to come down but I can't figure out how to do it without the home button.

I'm liking face id more and more as well.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:33 pm

kingweed wrote:How do I get the screen to come down without the home button? You just had to rub the home button without actually pressing it to get the top part to come down but I can't figure out how to do it without the home button.

It's called "Reachability".

Step 1: Navigate to Settings > General > Accessibility and turn Reachability on.

Step 2: Swipe down from the gesture bar in any open app or the bottom of iPhone X's home page.

Step 3: Perform the desired UI operation.

Step 4: To reinstate the fullscreen UI, swipe up from the gesture bar or bottom of the home screen. Alternatively, touch an area outside of the active UI pane.

kingweed

Postby kingweed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:48 pm

Mr.Clark wrote:
kingweed wrote:How do I get the screen to come down without the home button? You just had to rub the home button without actually pressing it to get the top part to come down but I can't figure out how to do it without the home button.

It's called "Reachability".

Step 1: Navigate to Settings > General > Accessibility and turn Reachability on.

Step 2: Swipe down from the gesture bar in any open app or the bottom of iPhone X's home page.

Step 3: Perform the desired UI operation.

Step 4: To reinstate the fullscreen UI, swipe up from the gesture bar or bottom of the home screen. Alternatively, touch an area outside of the active UI pane.

That actually works great and way better than the older way.

Okay i'm officially lovin' not having a home button.

That should be on as default though, bloody apple always make things difficult.

Out of curiosity do me a favour, go screen shot how you have your current settings set up. I don't know anyone IRL that has an X so hard to compare.

--

This is my current settings :-

Just to see if it's worth while me turning on certain things.

I think i've got my phone set up to be perfect for my needs.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:39 am

kingweed wrote:That should be on as default though, bloody apple always make things difficult.
Surprised that it wasn't, given that it was on on my previous phone. Pretty much all of my other settings transferred over.

kingweed wrote:Out of curiosity do me a favour, go screen shot how you have your current settings set up. I don't know anyone IRL that has an X so hard to compare.
https://imgur.com/a/76mBA

I got lucky with mine - I tried to sign up for the iPhone Upgrade Programme on the 27th October and by 8 minutes past 8, the site started working and informed me that they were no longer taking new sign ups and to try again at 6am on the 4th November.

So I did, and it offered me a slot that day in Birmingham... so I went for it. I've got a mate at work who's getting his through O2 and probably won't see it until December.

Return to “Tech Talk”