Once a program has been added, the post suggesting it may be removed for the sake of tidyness though discussion is allowed and encouraged.
On with the list...
- WinAmp - Originaly a music player, new versions also support video.
- Foobar2000 - Audio player, also has management and ripping capibilities.
- Audacity - Audio editor and recorder.
- CDex - CD Ripper, supports CDDB.
- Exact Audio Copy - Audio ripper, can be used with LAME (or other mp3 encoder) to compress files.
- The GodFather - Powerful audio file manager - bulk changes, updates, tagging, restructuring, freedb, scripts...
- Media Player Classic - Video Player.
- VLC Player - Video Player, more robust that MPC (can play files that MPC thinks are corrupted), contains numerous codecs and is portable.
- VirtualDub - Video capture/processing utility.
- Super - Video format conversion utility.
DVD "backing up"
- DVD Decryptor - Remove copy protection from DVDs and save onto the hard drive in one step
- Auto GordianKnot - Takes the decrypted files created by DVD Decryptor and converts them to AVI. Needs either the XviD or DivX codecs (below).
- Quicktime Alternative - Use this instead of installing the full bloated Quicktime (comes with Media Player Classic).
- Real Alternative - Use this instead of installing the full bloated Real Player (comes with Media Player Classic).
- Klite Mega Codec Pack - Contains almost every codec you could ever need, comes with QTAlt, RealAlt and Media Player Classic.
Image Viewers / Editors
- Picasa - Image viewer / organiser from Google
- Paint .NET - Image editor, not as complex as GIMP.
- GIMP - Open-source, feature filled image editor.
- RAW Shooter Essentials - RAW image processing for those with Digital SLR cameras.
- Inkscape - Open-source SVG editor.
- Blender 3D - 3D modelling.
Office Suites / Tools
- OpenOffice.org - Full office suite inlcuding word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and database apps.
- Scribus - Desktop Publishing App.
- PDFCreator - Installs a virtual printer that allows you to "print" anything to PDF.
- CutePDF Writer - Create PDF's from virtually any Windows app.
- Foxit Reader - PDF reader thats much smaller and faster loading than the Adobe reader.
Text Editors / IDEs
- NotePad++ - Text editor that has syntax highlighting and autocomplete features for a large number of languages.
- Dev-Cpp - IDE for C/C++ developers.
- Eclipse - Open Source IDE that supports Java and a number of other languages though plugins.
- MS Visual Studio Express -
- HiJack This - System diagnostic tool, lists all sorts of useful information
- Speedfan - Monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures. Can be used to change fan speeds.
- CCleaner - Multi-purpose cleaner.
- Unlocker - For deleting troublesome files.
- Dirms - Defragmenter (NB dosen't work if you have no network connection).
- Erunt - Registry backup.
- NTREGOPT - Registry cleaner, comes with Erunt.
- Autoruns - startup programs editor (use in conjunction with this guide).
- Karen's Replicator - Automated backup tool.
- TrueCrypt - Data encryption tool.
- Process Scanner - Scans your machine, and returns with a comprehensive results page with threat indicator and action advice.
Instant Messaging / Voice
- Trillian - IM program that supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo Messenger and IRC.
- Teamspeak2 - VOIP group chat.
- Ventrilo - VOIP group chat, has better quality sound than Teamspeak.
- Apatch - Patch for MSN messenger that removes removes the advertisments and other visual clutter.
- DeepBurner - Free alternative to Nero. Good if you mostly use ISO images...
- ImgBurn - Handles more file types than Deepburner. Can't make DVD videos on it's own.
- Azureus - Java based Bittorrent client, supports plugins
- ÂµTorrent - Full featured Bittorrent client, very small memory footprint, supports RSS. Doesn't even need installing.
- LogMeIn Hamachi - A VPN application. Easy software to make a vpn, specially good for playing old games over the internet which don't have dedicated servers anymore.
- 7-Zip - Free alternative to WinZip and WinRAR.
- Omega Drivers - Tweaked versions of ATI drivers that may give you a little more performance, or may be useful if you're having problems with the official ones.
- DosBox - Useful MS-DOS emulator for running old DOS games/programs
- StrokeIt - Mouse Gestures for Windows!
- FileZilla - FTP client and server
- Ultimate Boot CD for Windows - Built with BartPE, it enables you to make a CD of a customised bootable Windows environment with loads of tools, virus/malware scanners, etc. A very useful tool indeed.
- AutoPatcher - Contains all ms windows updates as well as other useful tweaks in one easy package to save you loads of rebooting when you first install windows.
- PortableApps (many of these useful apps above, as well as others such as Firefox and VLC player, designed to be run off a USB key) - The Suite includes a useful GUI launcher, or you can download the apps separately. No installation needed!
Thanks go to Doogle, Tinlad, woodcock68, Trippynet, Blak, 42, RB, zoon, ceiron, Entity, stevewill61, OakenSheild, siteguru and Ward for their contributions.
And another thanks to Blak for sorting it into a readable order! - Clark
Last update 10/04/07 22:14