Next-Gen Consoles

Discussion of games and gaming
Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Next-Gen Consoles

Postby Ekona » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:20 pm

Titanfall.

Well, and not wanting to lose GS points! :lol:
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

qazimod
Tag: Not gazimod

Postby qazimod » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Microsoft has announced the first Xbox One price cut.

From 28th February Xbox One will carry an estimated retail price of £399.99 in the UK. It currently costs £429.99.

Coinciding with the announcement, Microsoft has confirmed the Xbox One Titanfall bundle that leaked online earlier this morning. This Titanfall bundle includes an Xbox One console, the Kinect sensor, a standard Xbox One wireless controller, a standard Xbox One Chat Headset, one month of Xbox Live Gold membership and a digital copy of Titanfall for the same price of £399.99. You can pre-order the bundle from today.

EG

A drop of £30 probably isn't a huge deal, but they're also bundling Titanfall. A quick look online suggests that the game goes for around £45 at the moment, so I guess that brings it closer to the PS4 price? (£350 for the standalone console at Amazon.) Personally I'm still waiting for something amazing to be released and convince me to get one of the systems (and Titanfall is releasing on Xbone, 360 and PC so I'd probably just plump for one of the latter two options at the moment...)

RB

Postby RB » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:23 pm

The one is shit. I relented and bought one and took it back after 3 days. The PS4 blows it's cock off.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:16 pm

That's a great move by MS, much better than sitting back like Ninty and letting a console die.

Also, don't listen to RB, the Xbone is ace.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

RB

Postby RB » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:30 pm

It's a good upgrade on a 360 but the PS4 has much more grunt. Games are actually 1080p and smooth as fuck. Side by side, the One looks like last gen plus it's a huge fuck ugly thing.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:46 pm

I like mine. Plus it has Forza and DR3, and I'm still not bored of turning it on and off by speaking to it.

Even though I'm on my second one :mrgreen:

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:44 pm

RB wrote:It's a good upgrade on a 360 but the PS4 has much more grunt. Games are actually 1080p and smooth as fuck. Side by side, the One looks like last gen plus it's a huge fuck ugly thing.

But thats not true and you know it. CoD, for example, runs in 1080p on the PS4 vs the lower resolution of the XB1 but the framerate is more consistent on the XB1.

Forza is 1080p at 60fps. Granted the GPU won't always do 1080p in every game but just like the 360, the upscaler in the XB1 is lightyears ahead of what Sony has in the PS4 so when both consoles will end up doing 720p games (and it'll happen), it'll be the XB1 that looks better.

The only time you will see a noticeable difference between the two consoles is when Naughty Dog releases a PS4 game, just like the PS3, they tend to eek more out of the hardware (I'd say no one does it better in the industry at the moment).

Play Titanfall and tell me it looks "last gen". Don't forget to take off those Sony-branded specs when you do though. :P

RB

Postby RB » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:05 am

Hey, I wanted to like it which is why I bought it. No matter what tech spec you quote or hypothetical future event you imagine, I tried both and in the real world of a bloke playing it, the One comes out second. I'm no Sony fan, I was a die hard 360 user but in this generation, Sony are back on top.

MS can have some magical voodoo upscaler all they like, the PS4 doesn't need it and given how the PS4 is outselling the One, gamers know it.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:43 am

Totally agree with you, the PS4 is either much more powerful, easier to code for, or most likely both. I may well end up with one at some point, but for me it's always the games that come first and right now Sony have nothing that appeals. I'm sure they will do in the future though: Infamous SS looks quite good, but I thought that about the last one too and disappointingly didn't get on with it.

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:44 pm

No hypothetical future here. Last gen games mostly started out at 720p and towards the end of that gen, most games end up being 576p or some other lower resolution and then upscaled. This will happen here too. Once the games really push the consoles, they will both be natively outputting at 720p and merely upscaling to 1080p.

Also, if you run any current multi-platform game side by side on both consoles, you won't see a real difference. I don't think anyone is arguing that the PS4 isn't more powerful, and in some areas of GPU rendering, notably so. It won't matter in the end because multi-platform devs will simply have to code for the lower spec machine and port across to the other one. The XB1 will sell enough to make that a reality (although I do agree hardcore gamers will vote with their wallet and the PS4 will end up selling the most).

I chose the XB1 for its media capabilities. I confess that I'm not as into games as I used to be. Give me Sonic 3 on an emulator over most newer games.

RB

Postby RB » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:56 pm

All the current cross platform games run at 1080p on the PS4 and upscaled on the One.
Developers always want their game to look the best, they won't downgrade the PS4 version as gamers won't stand for it. Social media drives stock prices these days. If Watchdogs came out deliberately knobbled on the PS4, it would get ripped to shreds on the internet and Ubi's shares would bomb again.

MS and Sony don't drive the games industry, gamers do.

DCUK7

Postby DCUK7 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:54 pm

FIFA, Need for Speed and NBA all run at 1080p on the XB1, exactly the same as the PS4. Also, Ass Creed 4 runs at 900p on PS4 and 720p on XB1.

Look what happened on the PS3. If the game was targeted for that system, it should eek out more performance than the 360 yet most developers developed for the 360 first and ported across. That's the biggest reason GTA IV ran so poorly initially.

EA were notorious for it (as well as other more shady business practices) yet every year "gamers" said they would vote with their wallet and guess what? They never did. A classic example of this was F1 2013. Codemasters always developed for 360 and ported to PS3 and the 2012 version ran like dog on the PS3 initially (after 5 patches it became playable). The forums were flooded with threads for the 2013 version saying no one was going to buy the PS3 version this time around but low and behold it outsold the previous years' game on both platforms.

As for resolution, sub-50 inches you really cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 720p upscaled. Plus in some cases the XB1 achieves around 960p and is upscaled to 1080p. Even less of a difference there. You'd have to be examining the picture frame by frame to notice that. Then you aren't really playing games, you might as well get a mate round, call yourself PlayStation and Xbox and have a pissing contest outside!

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:03 pm

Who has a TV less than 50" these days?

If you put the consoles side by side, with the same game, I don't doubt you could tell the difference with ease: Framerate alone will make it obvious. However, since no- one in their right mind would ever do that then as long as a game looks good, does it matter?

I don't feel gipped when I see PC gamers playing stuff in 387568x775457 at 1200fps when my Xbone only does it at 720p at 30fps. In the solitude of my house, on my telly, it looks ace. Same with TVs: I'm sure that if I bought a current-gen LED TV it would look better than my current 4 year old one if I put them side by side, but as that's not going to happen then I still find my TV to be amazeballs.

I'm not for one second suggesting that the Xbone is as good as the PS4 technically: It's obviously not. I'm just saying that it doesn't matter to me anymore.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:37 pm

Ekona wrote:Who has a TV less than 50" these days?

:(

Polito45
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom wanks yet

Postby Polito45 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:15 am

Mr.Clark wrote:
Ekona wrote:Who has a TV less than 50" these days?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." — Aristotle

Return to “Games Talk”