Forza Horizon PS4 Equivalent?

Discussion of games and gaming
RB

Re: Forza Horizon PS4 Equivalent?

Postby RB » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:08 pm

I have drive club. I am disappoint.
I don't play many racing games because I suck at them.
This one is easy.
It's not that pretty.
The servers are broken so I can't do anything.
The AI seems shit.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

RB

Postby RB » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:10 pm

And the more I play the worse it gets.
The cars handle wrong.
The game rewards poor driving. If you brake with no steering input, the cars squirm and overshoot the corner. If you brake while cornering it magically drifts perfectly. Stupid game. How can they have spent so long getting it so wrong.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Won't bother with this then!

qazimod
Tag: Not gazimod

Postby qazimod » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:15 pm

I don't own either new-gen console so this is entirely word-of-mouth... but after the initial hype, Driveclub impressions from various places seem to be mixed. There's been talk of server issues when doing online stuff, some bare-bones presentation of menus and pre-race stuff that feels a bit unpolished compared to Forza, the graphics and lighting are nice but not incredible... but at the same time, people are really enjoying the driving, the handling, the way it actually feels to race. Maybe once the online components are there it might improve, but for now the reality of the game is a little different from the hype.

Me, I'd still prefer to take a PS4 over a Bone, but then it's not necessarily Driveclub that's selling the console to me... :)

RB

Postby RB » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:24 am

The driving is very Arcady. If you try to go off the track into a field, an invisible wall bounces you straight back, usually without penalty. There are no car setup options. I think people are liking it because it's easy but even for someone like me who needs easy, it gets boring quickly.

I'm going to go and get Alien Isolation instead.

RB

Postby RB » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:39 pm

I've just played FH2 at a friend's house on his One. That is a much nicer game handling wise. The graphics are shit and cartoony by comparison but the cars behave more like cars.

Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Shame Drive Club is starting to look shit. This makes The Crew look better though

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:18 pm

I spent this evening playing the next beta of The Crew, but on Xbone this time.

No. Just no.

Everything about this is wrong. The handling is bizarre (why does a 370Z steer like a twitchy Elise, and a Mustang corner like an F1 car?), the engine noises vile (I wanted to drown the aforementioned Mustang's V8 in a bag of treacle to make it sound better), and as for the story... Well, I have no idea what's going on, and nor do I care. Everytime they throw a cutscene at you, the acting & pacing & camerawork are just so incredibly boring that you WILL skip it. Every one. I tried, I really did, but they're just so mundane that I don't care.

And why the main guy Alex looks like Gordon Freeman, I've no idea.

I know it's a beta, but this should be much better than this at this stage. Genuinely, if you want a decent racing game you need an Xbone and FM5 or FH2. I'm going to grab FH2 at some point this year, probably over Xmas. I needs it in my life, I does.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:55 pm

I'm weak, I got FH2 yesterday :oops:

It's amazing. I never played the first one, but this is definitely better ;) Beautiful visuals, the handling is subtley different to FM5 to make it more fun, and the sound is just to die for. There's so much to do, so many different races, and fuck me does driving the P1 along Nice seafront feel immense :D

Yeah, this is superb. Really superb.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:22 pm

I'm coming over to your new gaff to play it then.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:24 pm

You totally should, once we move in we'll actually have spare rooms for guests! :D

Yeah, we'll deffo sort something out.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:00 pm

Ooh you actually need to think about the suspension settings on this now, as rather than just take one setting for pretty much everywhere you HAVE to have a different setup for the offroad challenges. If you don't, you just bounce around all over the place and never get the power down.

I like this a lot. I like it so much, I may carry on playing it even when AC:U comes out on Friday. Or until they patch the patch of AC:U so it doesn't run like a dog, anyway!

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:54 am

Given up looking for an equivalent for now. We'll be getting the PS4 soon and will have plenty of other games to pour time into before I feel the itch for open-world racing again.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:14 am

Just get the Xbone ;)

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:28 pm

A compelling argument! But no

Return to “Games Talk”