Street Fighter V - Arcade Edition: free update out now (16/01/18)

Discussion of games and gaming
qazimod
Tag: Not gazimod

Street Fighter V - Arcade Edition: free update out now (16/01/18)

Postby qazimod » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:22 pm

Street Fighter 5 has been unveiled ahead of time in a video that announced the game as a PC and PS4 exclusive.

It's not clear whether the trailer was intended to be aired tonight at The Game Awards or tomorrow at the PlayStation Experience, but it has since been pulled. NeoGAF caught the whole thing and has stills of the trailer, which is up Daily Motion (for now) and embedded below.

The trailer intersperses clips of Ryu and Chun-Li fighting with clips of real life, and the effect Street Fighter has had on it. The new game has a familiar look and feel, but courtesy of being the first Street Fighter game for new machines, looks better than ever before.

No release date or other details were shared.

Source: Eurogamer

Well that kind of came out of nowhere. There's still a bunch of content planned for the latest version of Street Fighter IV that hasn't been released yet so I wasn't expecting a sequel announcement so soon. Although it mentions PC/PS4 exclusivity, this might just mean that it's a timed exclusive and it'll come to Xbox One and Wii U at a later date. It'll be hard to capture the same impact as SFIV's announcement though - the 2009 game came out at a time where most people had lost interest in fighting games and it ended up breathing new life into the genre and inspiring a bunch of franchise reboots, whilst SFIV is still seeing updates and revisions and interest from the players. Still, if it means PS4 owners get sweet arcade sticks and six-button controllers in the future I'm all for it. :P

Last edited by qazimod on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Street Fighter V

Postby Ekona » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:43 pm

Lol, I saw this earlier and immediately thought of you! :lol:

I think I'm done with fighting games now, as although I spanked loads of cash on a decent stick and one version of SF4 or another, it felt fun but it's just a bit too complex now for me. Shame, as I lived on SF2T on the SNES.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Re: Street Fighter V

Postby kingweed » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Ekona wrote:Lol, I saw this earlier and immediately thought of you! :lol:

I think I'm done with fighting games now, as although I spanked loads of cash on a decent stick and one version of SF4 or another, it felt fun but it's just a bit too complex now for me. Shame, as I lived on SF2T on the SNES.

This pretty much word for world!

qazimod

Re: Street Fighter V (PC/PS4, release date TBC)

Postby qazimod » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:49 pm

Well Capcom were taking down the videos that followed the early leak, but since PlayStation Experience ended they've provided a trailer on the CapcomFighters YT channel here. :)

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:43 pm

So the Capcom Cup happened a few days ago and in addition to the main SFIV tournament and a few other reveals there was a new stage demo of SFV which you can see here. I'm not hugely sold on the visuals just yet - something about the contrast levels makes me think that the characters need to "pop out" a bit more from the background - but other fundamental things like hit and block sparks look okay. The gameplay poses a few questions too, like how the powered-up/"elemental" states work (it looks like you spend your whole super meter to gain enhanced moves) and why the heck Ryu and Chun-Li have different numbers of EX bars in their super meters, but I'm sure that answers will soon be on the way...

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:57 pm

It just looks a bit too over-complicated.

The graphics look pretty, but I agree that they distract from the fighters. EX bars and Elemental and revenge and God knows what else, it's all a bit too much.

Now, what I'd really love is S/SFII Turbo with in that graphics engine. I'd pay lots for that.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:15 pm

Ekona wrote:EX bars and Elemental and revenge and God knows what else, it's all a bit too much.

Well if it was too much before....

...details have surfaced regarding other aspects of the battle system, such as V-skill (a unique ability each character has that uses up a second gauge), V-Reversal (a powerful counter, again using this new gauge) and V-Trigger (a more powerful single-use special move that needs the gauge to activate). (Also with the latest update to Street Fighter IV, that game's getting more and more elaborate, with red focus, delayed standing, ultra combo double, etc etc, so the systems of SF games never remain simple for too long. :D )

I'm keen to see how it all hangs together without becoming a complete mess, but we won't know that for a while until there are more characters revealed and more matches played, etc. :)
Last edited by qazimod on Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:56 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Might just be me, but SF is becoming more of a button-masher with each iteration.

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:57 am

I only wish that improving my SF play was a simple case of mashing more than the other player. :D - sadly that mentality hasn't won me too many games. ;)

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:01 pm

Birdie and Cammy trailer:

Cammy was one of the least fun things about SFIV for me because she could catch you in cycles of near-inescapable death if you weren't careful, so hopefully V-Reversals will help dissuade that kind of behaviour in this game. It's awesome to see someone like Birdie back though - he hasn't been in a mainline Street Fighter game since Street Fighter 1, although he has featured in the Alpha games etc.

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:58 pm

Just got my code for the PS4 beta. About 3Gbs of stuff to download, but even so... :megaexcitedlols:

I'll still have to wait until the beta period actually begins - I imagine once it's downloaded the application won't be able to do stuff just yet :P

Ekona

Re: Street Fighter V (PC/PS4, beta registrants can now start downloading)

Postby Ekona » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:57 pm

On a scale of one to Sonic Boom, how excited by this are you?

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:30 pm

It's definitely exciting - I love SF4 to bits but the thought of a brand new system to get to grips with makes me really keen to try out SF5. From what I understand the beta is largely online versus against random players so it's likely I'll have the crap beaten out of me by everyone, but hopefully I'll be able to get a feel for each of the characters and try out the V-Skill/Reversal/Trigger stuff along the way. It'll also be interesting to see how my Hori controller copes with the game - I'm kind of getting mixed results on USFIV compared to my old 360 pad, but with a new gameplay system and reworked input windows for special moves etc it might fare slightly better.

UPDATE: servers have been down most of the time so far, so most players can't progress past the title screen - 10/10 beta would enrol again

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:24 pm

So after dealing with server downtime for a while I got word this evening that things were actually working again. The bad news is that I still wasn't able to find an online match, but happily I was able to get into the pre-match training room this time so I could at least get a feel for the moves and inputs. Generally it all felt pretty intuitive - if you've played previous Street Fighters you'll be able to pick up Ryu, Chun-Li etc and perform the same moves just as easily in this game. The Hori controller I bought actually works really well too - motions for special moves are registered with hardly any problems, so it's not too strict about player inputs. As an aside from gameplay stuff, the character models and animation are great; I was a bit unsure when I first saw the reveal matches but when you play it everything seems so right. And that extends to the gameplay to a degree - you can still do your basic crouching punch into shoryuken stuff and supers are pretty much how they've always been. I didn't try too much V-Trigger stuff so I couldn't really tell the difference compared to moves performed without it, but I'm sure there will be time for that once the game launches properly.

After plenty of Ryu time I also tried Chun-Li for a little bit (lightning legs is performed with a motion rather than hammering the button, which felt kind of weird but I could get used to it, and she has a nice rising attack similar to the Tomahawk Buster T.Hawk uses in SFIV) and Nash (aka Charlie, who I haven't used since SF Alpha 3, so I was just trying to do Guile moves), and then a server error booted me out to the title screen :? I'm happy to have at least spent a few moments with the game in training mode though, and maybe there will be more good news for the beta in the future...

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:26 pm

So daft question then, are you any good at SF2/3/4/5? I don't necessarily mean like ninja warrior good, but can you do all the super/hyper combos and the fancy stuff?

I'm okay with pretty much any move from circa SF2T, but all these supers and hypers and whatevers are totally beyond me. I've never pulled on off (fnar) in anything other than a pure practice match.

Return to “Games Talk”