Street Fighter V - Arcade Edition: free update out now (16/01/18)

Discussion of games and gaming
qazimod
Tag: Not gazimod

Re: Street Fighter V (PC/PS4, beta talk)

Postby qazimod » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:47 pm

Ekona wrote:How's the online holding up? Any issues with lag, or matchmaking now?

I haven't really looked at the Ranked Match or Casual Match menus myself - instead, I go into training mode and the game lets me practice until it finds someone who's looking for online opponents, at which point I'll be thrown into a match. Even so, I'm able to discover matches quicker now compared to back in August, and simply starting up the game has been so much more reliable this weekend (in the initial beta you'd be stuck in a loop of pressing Start, seeing a network traffic error of some sort, going back to the title screen and retrying until maybe you were able to get to the main menu) so it bodes well for the final release. For the most part the netcode's pretty solid in matches; one or two blips whilst PSN catches up, but nothing game ruining.

EDIT: I have read comments online from people who "can't find any matches", but I don't know if they're picking Ranked/Casual Match from the main menu, or if they're going into training and letting the game find an opponent, so it's not 100% clear what the problem may be.

One curious aspect of the matchmaking is that you can set up a player profile in the menu and pick a preferred character to play as, and when the game finds an opponent it will match you against them with your preferred character, as opposed to dropping you into a character select screen before the match. I imagine this is just a beta thing though.

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:47 pm

There's going to be one last beta this weekend before the game's launch in late February. I don't know if there are going to be any more reveals in this beta, but hopefully I'll have some time to try it. :)

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Did you see the videos the other day, where they hacked the characters so that they had a different moveset/voice? Zangief doing hadokens was amazing! :lol:
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:48 pm

Yep, move/skin/character swap mods are always prety goofy. :) That kind of thing happened in the SFIV games as well - you ended up with weaker characters performing boss moves, and characters that had weirdly disformed faces because the textures were never made for different models :D

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:04 pm

The beta started earlier today and pretty much carries on from where the last beta left off - all but one of the characters is available to play, and players can noodle around in training until the game automatically matches them with an opponent. I've had some wins and some losses - usually I just get too greedy while more patient players block my rubbish and then punish my mistakes - but it's still a lot of fun. There's been some concerns about the netcode in this game as it uses rollbacks to get around the issue of lag, which results in some weird scenarios where the game suddenly plays at 300% speed to catch up with itself. SFIV simply had lag and players dealt with that, so I don't know which is the "better" option.

I'm kind of disappointed that there aren't more online options and you just have the random matchmaking - I'm sure the full game will have lobbies and stuff once it's available, but it would have been nice to get a sample of that in one of the betas. Even so, it's coming out in less than a month's time, so we won't have to wait much longer...

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:41 pm

Had a few more fun moments already today, with one setup I've been trying to nail since the previous beta and a test with an invisible joke projectile...

Right now Rashid is still my favourite character of those available - he's got great mobility, sweet divekicks and an interesting V-Trigger move which summons a pillar of wind towards the player, damaging them if they touch it without blocking. It was this that I wanted to have fun with, and happily I was able to win a ranked match online with it. Usually a player will automatically face their opponent and can block their attacks as necessary, so I had been trying to place the wind pillar in front of an opponent and then jump over and behind them, confusing the block positioning. It turns out my opponent kind of killed himself, as he attacked Rashid and then took the hit from the wind pillar behind him, but I was still happy with how it worked out.

My other test was between Birdie and Ryu. Part of Birdie's idle animation has him pick his nose and flick a bogey towards the opponent. The interesting thing about this is that the bogey counts as a projectile and deals 12HP damage to Ryu. It's also invisible (unless it's a pixel in size or something), but distance between players still affect when it will hit the opponent. Ryu, on the other hand, can parry incoming attacks when the player pushes both medium attack buttons at once, so I wanted to see if the bogey could be stopped by parries. And it totally can. Admittedly, it took several attempts to figure out the timing and distance, but it's a nice touch considering how throwaway the bogey flick is. :D

qazimod

Re: Street Fighter V (PC/PS4, Feb 16)

Postby qazimod » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:16 pm

A content schedule for SFV went up the other day. The game will allow players to earn currency through playing games and then spend that on content, or you can pay for the content with cash money if you want to skip the grind (and given the numbers I've seen going around I may end up doing the latter)... and the schedule shows that they plan to release new characters and features as DLC each month. March should be good though - the lobbies and trials were great features of Super SFIV, and I've heard reports of the pre-DLC game being a bit light on extra features, so this will help.

Even so, I'll still have plenty of reason to play in February, so I don't think the wait will seem that long. :D

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:18 pm

What system are you getting it on?
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:34 pm

I have the PS4 version pre-ordered. I think with SFIV I ended up buying that on several platforms, but since SFV supports cross-platform play (which seemed to work well in the beta) I should only need one copy of the game (the content plans are also a deliberate move to avoid having more "super", "turbo" etc re-releases; instead you just have one version of SFV and download whatever content is available.)

This did mean having to pick up a six-button controller for the PS4 (I'm not a big fan of arcade sticks and Sony's official PS4 controller wouldn't feel right) but I probably would have got one anyway for other fighters I might want to try.

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:29 pm

Amazon have dispatched my copy!

The game might be missing half its features and I'll have to wait for patches :P but at least I can play around and try stuff without beta time limits.

One more day...

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Getting some decent reviews, 7s and 8s so far :)

I was going to pick this up on the PC, but I just discovered that the SP mode isn't coming until June. JUNE?!

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Okay it was actually two more days. But it's here now. I still have to do a bunch of patching before I can get started though.

Heard a few reports about flaky server business and connection errors booting players out of matches but I'm really hoping that's just day 1 stuff - there were a lot of those errors in the first beta, but by the time the last beta went up I was getting matches nearly all of the time...

EDIT: it seems kind of variable. I can let the game search for online opponents whilst doing single-player stuff and get a bunch of matches, but when I actually try and create a room to join it can be a bit flaky now and then. One nice thing about it not being a beta is that you can turn off the opponent searching so that you actually have time to practice things solo if you don't want march interruptions.

qazimod

Re: Street Fighter V - out now! (PC/PS4, cross-platform play)

Postby qazimod » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:58 am

Finished the basic story mode for now. Each one is only a few matches long so you can play through each character's story really quickly. For now I'll just keep messing in training mode, playing online and waiting for the first big update in March...
Last edited by qazimod on Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:27 pm

So yeah, this has all sorts of errors and issues and missing content but the actual fighting is still kind of fun. In terms of my online standing I'm at around the same place as I was when the beta ended so I don't see myself getting any better. :P Most of the time I've just been trying goofy stuff in training anyway just to see if certain things work. For example, this game has stage enders where if you KO someone with a certain attack at the side of certain stages there will be a little scene where they will fly into another room. Cue me spending ages in training seeing what would happen if you did the same thing with a double KO (spoiler: the scene doesn't happen.)

According to the content schedule March should see a bunch of the missing content arrive (8-player lobbies, challenges) as well as the first DLC character. Apparently if you finish all of the story content in the base game you'll earn enough ingame currency to buy this character without spending real money. That said, I expect future content to require a ton of grinding and so I might just give up and get the season pass... :oops:

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:43 pm

I'll buy it as soon as they add arcade mode. I can see why they pushed it out before that was ready, for the pro circuit, but really it just seems a incredibly daft thing to do. Hell, how hard can even a basic arcade mode be to add?

Return to “Games Talk”