Street Fighter V - Arcade Edition: free update out now (16/01/18)

Discussion of games and gaming
qazimod
Tag: Not gazimod

Re: Street Fighter V - out now! (PC/PS4, cross-platform play)

Postby qazimod » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:17 pm

Today Capcom released details of the new content coming this month - amongst the bug fixes and balance changes, there will be the option of creating eight-player lobbies, the DLC shop will be open for business, challenges and combo trials will be available, and the first DLC character (Alex from SFIII) will be available to purchase.

So yeah, if this update goes without a hitch players should be receiving all of the content that really should have been in the game from day one. Sounds harsh, but after the generosity of Super Street Fighter IV this game felt a bit rushed in terms of missing features.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Street Fighter V - out now! (PC/PS4, cross-platform play)

Postby Ekona » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:47 pm

Like an SP mode ;)
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

qazimod

Re: Street Fighter V - March update out now

Postby qazimod » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:46 pm

I finally got to try the March update today. From first impressions it seems quite promising - combo challenges for each character are in there, and so are 8-player lobbies, so it's close to what people hoped to see in the game on day one. There was supposed to be a new character available as DLC too but I think he's coming later in the week...

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:55 pm

WHERE'S THE BLOODY ARCADE MODE FFS
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Guile! :D

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:50 pm

Indeed. Guile was one of the worst opponents for me when playing SFIV as I am impatient as heck and will jump in and do stuff whilst Guile players block, wait around and sit on a flash kick or sonic boom they've been charging. Even so, he looks great in the screenshots and I quite like the air force base stage that's been revealed too. Besides, in SFV people have a lot more anti-projectile tech available through V-Skills and whatever, so you might not have to negotiate sonic booms with forward jumps only to land on a flash kick...

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Wow, he's quite interesting. Flash kicks, sonic booms and the sonic hurricane critical art all seem fairly familiar if you've played Guile in SFIV, but the V-Skill and V-Trigger make it a very different experience. He's got a V-Skill that lets him leave a stationary ball of energy in front of him, and then you can throw Sonic Booms through that to turn them into larger projectiles. And the V-Trigger lets Guile throw projectiles just by pressing both heavy attacks (rather than having to hold back for a few seconds and then push forward+attack.)

Hopefully people will still be able to poke holes in his defence rather than being shut down with endless Sonic Booms. :D And he's different enough from Charlie to justify being in the roster. :P

nam123
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Re: Street Fighter V - April update out now

Postby nam123 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:59 am

On a scale of one to Sonic Boom, how excited by this are you?

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Ekona wrote:WHERE'S THE BLOODY ARCADE MODE FFS

The good news: Balrog is now busting onto the Street Fighter V scene alongside previously revealed kunoichi Ibuki as part of the game's free story mode update. The bad news: the update is no longer being released this month. The not-quite-as-disappointing-as-you-first-thought news: the update will now deploy on the 1st of July, which just so happens to be this Friday

Pushsquare

I wasn't sure about the pricing myself as I have the season pass, but if it is free it should be a nice bonus. The original plan for the DLC schedule was to offer a new character each month, but after messing up the May DLC Capcom are promising that the May and June content will arrive at the end of this month. Personally I'm more keen to try Ibuki than anything, as she was my most-played character in SFIII 3rd and probably SFIV, but we'll have to wait and see if they actually deliver on the promises...

Ekona

Re: Street Fighter V - Balrog, Ibuki & Story mode update this Friday (1/7)

Postby Ekona » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:43 pm

So this is like a proper, 8 fights + boss fights arcade jobby? Says it'll only last a few hours, but since when did an arcade mode ever last more than about 30 mins? If this is what I hope it will be, I'll grab this on Friday :D

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:53 pm

I honestly don't know what it'll end up being. That traditional arcade mode progression would be nice but it might be less fights and more in-between cutscenes, or maybe a structured thing where you complete Ryu's bit of the story and unlock the next character's. I guess we'll find out in a few days...

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:18 pm

It begins:

I imagine that the story mode's still planned for tomorrow and it'll download a 2kb unlock key for this update or something...

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:21 pm

You know I'm getting really hyped for this now, and am going to cry tears of pain if it's not what I hope for? ;)

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:58 pm

Tears of pain incoming: Apparently story mode means you just have to do one fight with every character to complete it.

Well, I'm out then. Why can they not just put a goddamn straightforward arcade mode in?!

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Apparently before you can do DLC stuff you have to download another 8Gb update that was released today. So many progress bars.

Return to “Games Talk”